Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 11:48:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm in a relationship and I need help  (Read 395 times)
Barnny-mat
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married / separated

« on: November 19, 2019, 04:22:50 PM »

Hi All,

I am 50 year old male and in a relationship with a woman with BPD traits. We have been together for 24 years in total - with many rounds of conflict and several break ups along the way. It was only 12 months ago that I was advised that my wife probably has BPD (Her mother also has BPD). I am struggling to cope with her volatile behaviour, highly charged and sometimes hysterical emotional outbursts, defensiveness, lack of empathy and tendency to make false accusations and get stuck in a blaming loop. I love her very much, but really struggle to cope with the BPD behaviours. I guess I am wondering how to hold it together in a way which is tolerable and does not damage my emotional health quite so much. Does anyone feel like they can manage to cope well with their BPD partner's behaviours? I always feel confident for a while and then things seem to get much worse.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 04:58:47 PM »

24 years is a long time.

How long have their been problems?  What types of t hings does she do?

Barnny-mat
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married / separated

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 12:14:17 PM »

She starts fights over the tiniest of issues, exaggerates how hurt she is, plays the one and only victim role, refuses to acknowledge any other view, becomes extremely defensive then starts accusing and blaming me. This often escalates until her behaviour becomes hysterical. I am usually left feeling stunned and wounded. She then says she doesn’t want to live and blames that on me too. She will add to this with assumptions about what I am thinking, yelling things like “you think I am nothing”. This is usually followed by shouts of things like “I didn’t do anything wrong” or “you can’t do this too me...I don’t deserve this”
Skip
Site Director

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 12:20:32 PM »

If we asked her the same question, what would she say?

confusedbybdp

Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 07:02:32 PM »

Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

This is usually followed by shouts of things like “I didn’t do anything wrong...”

I can't tell you how often I heard these exact words from my uBPDexbf.  Every time he said it, I couldn't help but imagine a small child saying this over and over to a parent who was viewed as harsh or blaming.  I think this is the hurt place they live inside.  Almost like a cowering child who is yelling "it's not my fault!" 

When we grow up and become adults, most of us don't feel the need to declare "it's not my fault!"  We can take responsibility for our actions, and it is a sign of maturity to do so.  In certain situations, of course, it's not "our fault," and we can simply explain why this is the case.

People with BPD are stuck at a very young developmental age, and growth is very complex and difficult.  We will not ever be able to expect adult reasoning and behavior unless the person undergoes extensive therapy for BPD, and even then, recovery may be spotty.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest