Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 08:14:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Beware of Junk Psychology... Just because it's on the Internet doesn't mean it's true. Not all blogs and online "life coaches" are reliable, accurate, or healthy for you. Remember, there is no oversight, no competency testing, no registration, and no accountability for many sites - it is up to you to qualify the resource. Learn how to navigate this complicated arena...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unexpected drop in from ubpdxw  (Read 402 times)
utnapishtim428

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: December 10, 2019, 06:58:48 PM »

So... I just had kind of a freak out moment. I live alone in the house that I used to share with my ubpdxw. We got divorced last year and I take care of the cats that we used to share until we split. She comes over sometimes to feed them when I’m out of town. We always agree in advance about when she will be here so that I make sure I’m gone. I haven’t physically seen her since divorce court in June of last year... until just now..

She accidentally left some of her stuff here and was supposed to pick it up while I was at work. When I got home, the stuff was still here... I figured she got tied up and couldn’t make it, so I went upstairs and started vacuuming. While I was doing that, she let herself in to get her stuff... and scared the hell out of me (she said she had been knocking but I was vacuuming and couldn’t hear). I was just really taken aback... I didn’t get angry and just sort of let her get her things and leave. Then I sent her a text message saying not to do that again...

Wow... I didn’t expect that.

Any thoughts on how best to enforce that boundary? Things have gone ok for a while... maybe her having access to my place all the time is not a good idea... or maybe it was a one time thing and the text message saying not to come here unless we agree in advance is enough?
SinisterComplex
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 07:51:40 PM »

Um, no offense, but that is kind of a flimsy boundary. She has access to your place...you have to be kidding me? Yeah revoke access and set firmer boundaries. You are playing with fire essentially. I am trying to look out for you here. You are enabling her to be a habitual line stepper and that is a do not pass go do not collect $200 scenario.

Cheers!

-SC-

Through Adversity There is Redemption!
Rev
Ambassador

Relationship status: Divorced and now happily remarried.

The surest way to fail is to never try.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 08:23:06 PM »

Any thoughts on how best to enforce that boundary? Things have gone ok for a while... maybe her having access to my place all the time is not a good idea... or maybe it was a one time thing and the text message saying not to come here unless we agree in advance is enough?

I'm with SinisterComplex on this one.  I have a cease and desist with mine. Sent her through the roof... but give a BPD an inch...

Rev
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 12:53:17 AM »

Excerpt
(she said she had been knocking but I was vacuuming and couldn’t hear). I was just really taken aback... I didn’t get angry and just sort of let her get her things and leave.

this sounds like a reasonable explanation.

she knocked. you didnt hear it. she let herself in. its been a year...its equally reasonable not to want an ex wife of a year to let herself in, even on the best of terms.

if you really dont want anyone letting themselves into your place, change the locks. problem solved  Smiling (click to insert in post)

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Gemsforeyes

Relationship status: Ended 2/2020

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 02:23:27 AM »

Hi there-

Your exW’s sudden appearance in your home must have been a shock.  I would have freaked too, but I’ve got a few questions.

In August you posted that you have a “normal” girlfriend and things were going well.  If this is still the case, How does the fact that your exW enters your home (seemingly at will) sit with your current girlfriend?  Or even that your exW cares for the cats when you travel for work?

If you intend for your exW to continue cat care, changing your locks makes no sense.  However you can add a deadbolt lock that you use when you’re in town.  Always.  Your exW will NOT have this key.

OR.  You can “finalize” your divorce, re-key the existing locks and arrange for alternate pet care during times when you travel. 

PWBPD suffer from a no boundary issue.  In time your exW May have trouble finding her way straight from the front door to the kitty bowl and litter boxes without several detours throughout your home and private areas.

Just a little food for thought.

I’m sorry...

Warmly,
Gemsforeyes

Lucky Jim

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 11:43:16 AM »

Hey Utna, I agree w/Gems: those w/BPD will trample all over your boundaries, if you give them the chance.  The idea of a dead bolt for when you are home has merit, in my view.  It doesn't harm her, yet allows you to enforce your boundaries.  In my experience, it's best to proceed with boundary adjustments without seeking approval from pwPBD.

LJ

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
utnapishtim428

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 06:33:00 PM »

Hi everyone, I really appreciate the responses... very good food for thought. I think that there’s a pretty easy fix. I have an electronic door lock that you need a code to use. I never learned all the ins/outs but, after what happened, figured out how to change/deactivate codes. So... no more entry when I’m not ok with it.

Gemsforeyes, I appreciate that you’ve paid attention to my previous posts! Your questions did make me pause and think about where my priorities are (my gf is awesome and is my priority). I try to keep my gf involved  in any decision making (like changing the door code) to make sure that she feels ok with everything. I’ll definitely be discussing options for catcare with her to make sure she is on board with whatever is decided. Also, until this incident, my ex has respected normal boundaries and did not enter my house without express permission each time, nor did she go anywhere she wasn’t supposed to (I know this because I have cameras all over my house), though the thought has crossed my mind.

The complicating factor is that the cats are legally my exes’ but I care about them a lot (I’ve had the one for 10 years). My ex just doesn’t have the means to take them back yet... so it will be something of a balancing act until she can take them back. She is shooting for sometime in the spring... if it lasts much past that, I’ll have to figure out what to do so she can’t use the cats as leverage or something.

This situation just caught me off guard because things have been pretty calm/normal since the divorce was finalized. It was like my ex just sort of let me go and started acting fairly normal... not sure if anyone else experienced that, but it was definitely a pleasant surprise on my end Laugh out loud (click to insert in post).
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest