Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 04:53:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Same Sex Divorce Discrimination in Arizona Compounded by BPD  (Read 487 times)
ArizonaMommy

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: pending divorce with child

« on: January 02, 2020, 09:54:19 AM »

Paragraph header  (click to insert in post)

Seeking resources, advice and strategic for same sex divorce in Arizona, landmark custody case, compounded by statutory discrimination. In Arizona, BPD ex is not merely encouraged by discriminatory state laws but rewarded for exploiting discrimination loopholes, and other technical legal gaps between Marriage Equality and Divorce Inequality. BPD ex has limitless resources. Parental Alienation is being aggressively employed by BPD ex.
Any help is most welcome. many thanks for taking time to reply or respond.
peace.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 10:16:03 AM »

Oof. Sounds like you are in the thick of it.

How many kids and what ages? What's your current custody situation? How are the kids doing?

It's pretty common for BPDx spouses to exploit the legal system, sometimes referred to as legal abuse. My ex was a former trial attorney and to say I felt hopeless at the start of our custody battle is an understatement. It took a while and lots of support from friends here to turn things around. I'm glad you found the site.

How are you feeling about your lawyer?

Do you have a support network and a self-care routine? These things can take a real toll on our health.

Breathe.
ArizonaMommy

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 10:40:06 AM »

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and for your candor.
I do not have a lawyer. I am self represented.
We have one son aged 11.

We are in late stage of divorce trial. I am in the midst of preparing the written closing arguments.

BPD ex is unwilling to discuss settlement of any sort.

Searching for any local, regional or national pro bono advocates for help.

My biggest concern is protecting our son from the parental alienation happening.

Do you have kids?

Thank you

livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 08:02:30 AM »

My biggest concern is protecting our son from the parental alienation happening.

Have you found any resources to offset things psychologically? My go-to books were Divorce Poison by Richard Warshak, and Don't Alienate the Kids: Raising Emotionally Resilient Kids When A Parent Has BPD by William (Bill) Eddy (who also wrote Splitting: Protecting Yourself When Divorcing a BPD/NPD spouse). And then anything by Dr. Craig Childress, who isn't the easiest writer to read but is the first professional to link together what he calls pathological parenting (BPD) with parental alienation. He also has some good youtube videos.

I hope this isn't too much of a firehose of information  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

Depending on how severe the alienation is, there are also some excellent insights from a formerly alienated child (now adult) that you can find at https://ryanthomasspeaks.com/

I was curious about your relationship with your son because the nature of the bond does seem to determine outcomes, not to mention the amount of time he spends with you. Childress unapologetically refers to alienation as child abuse and is trying to get it codified as such. We have a long way to go but it's the first big step in the right direction for families like ours.

Excerpt
Do you have kids?

I have one son (18). I divorced his father in 2010 so we're coming up on a decade post-split. His dad was a former trial attorney who ended up representing himself. After four years of chronic litigation, I ended up with full custody. S18's father is no longer in his life. It is hard to call it a victory when there is so much damage and trauma in our wake. At the same time, I am surprised at the relative resilience my son has developed in response. A good therapist has made a world of difference, as well as me learning to validate his feelings and help him learn to identify what he thinks and feels, versus what his dad wanted him to think and feel. This support forum has been a game changer. I cannot imagine how things would've turned out without the input from friends here.

How are you holding up? Representing yourself must be taking a real toll. Does your ex have representation?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 08:10:32 AM by livednlearned » Logged

Breathe.
ArizonaMommy

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 10:24:02 AM »

Good Morning and thank you for the reply, information and support.

I was the stay at home, primary caregiver for our son since his birth.
We have an deep, emotional bond which drives the ex to these extremes.

Only recently have I discovered that our son is being coached to lie to me to "protect" the other parent and from feeling uncomfortable.

A virtual fortress has been built around this child and contact completely cut off between us. If we are lucky we get a 2 hour visit with supervised exchanges once a month. The ex took a second order of protection out when the first expired in spite no contact made by me with her.
I had sent our son postcards, cards and presents until the hearing on the 2d OOP determined that allegations were harassment, and I had to no longer mail anything directly to our child.
The courts and her team of lawyers are actively contributing to Parental Alienation.
My concern is that my son lied directly to me with apparent ease on our last visit. When I asked him about it, he reported that he had been told to tell me a lie.
My ex has people do things she does not wish to do and often pays them for it. Now she is getting our son to do her custody fight dirty work.

It feels as if I am fighting the Judge The State, the legal system, her team of lawyers and it does get exhausting.
I have Multiple Sclerosis and this has been ignored by the court and the judge. Multiple false police reports, (made by others so not to be legally liable for making false reports-she just encourages/pays for/manipulates these) have no repercussions for my ex and an impact on how the system is treating me. The scariest part is being called "unreasonable" in my legal position of defending myself and being forced to pay my millionaire ex's attorneys fees. Of course I am judgement proof, but that will help them to establish I am unfit as a parent because I do not have the means to support my child.
Everything is a tactic for them.
This is right out of the BPD Divorce play book. But I am truly shocked by the Judge. I am shocked at the extant to which my ex had lied and groomed people to believe her. But I am deeply saddened she is lying to our child, and how powerless I am to protect him from it.
I welcome any and all resources. thank you

worriedStepmom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 11:03:15 AM »

Are you able to request that your son sees a therapist?  It will not only help him deal with what he's going through, but it will also give you another potential way of documenting her manipulation of him.

Another option is to request that your son get a guardian ad litem (GAL) - his own lawyer.  Things turned around for one of my friends when the kids got a GAL who figured out that NPDdad was the problem.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest