Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 11:31:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things we can't ignore
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Why We Struggle in Our Relationships
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Codependency and Codependent Relationships
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Latest Fight and Practising Validation  (Read 389 times)
paperinkart

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Together (But It’s Tough Lately!)

« on: June 09, 2020, 01:17:52 AM »

Ughhh please  Paragraph header  (click to insert in post)

I am so frustrated and upset. We just finished a major split two weeks ago. We didn’t speak for an entire week and it was honestly a big mess. Then the next week, I’m back to being his favourite person. I saw him almost every day and it was wonderful. No fighting, just happiness and fun.

Everything was fine until just now. I called him and he let me know he was going camping by himself in the morning. I said okay, no problem. Be safe and have fun!

He was asking about my car (it’s been having some trouble), and I talked to him a little about it. Then he said some remark like “sometimes I wonder if you only got the car so that I would stay interested in you”. I was honestly taken aback and told him that was an extremely narcissistic and egotistical thing to say.

I tried to tell him that I definitely didn’t get the car to keep him interested but I am happy that it gave us so much to talk about with each other. Then he started talking about how it seems like even though we talk all the time, we only really discuss the same two or 3 subjects. I mean, admittedly probably 70% of our conversations are about cars but it’s a shared interest. He talks about his car as much as I talk about mine and we both enjoy it...at least, I thought we did? He started saying how he wanted to be with someone he could talk about other things with, like music and anime.

Again, I was completely taken aback. In our 2.5 years together, never ONCE has he mentioned anime or brought it up as if it was important to him. I jokingly made fun of one of his CD’s a few days ago and apparently I really hurt his feelings. He’s still upset about it. He then said he was hurt that I never asked him to play any of his records.

I was so frustrated and angry at this conversation because I’m tired of being guilty for things I had no idea were even issues. But anyway, I did my typical quick reaction and got mad and defensive and of course the conversation went downhill and turned into a fight. Then we just hung up the phone and I expected that to be it while he goes away and isolates himself in the woods for 2 days and I just have to sit here feeling bad and anxious about our argument.

So anyway, as I was typing this all out, I realized that I, once again, forgot everything I knew about BPD. It dawned on me right away that I invalidating his feelings and argued with what he was believing. As an experiment, I decided to take a deep breath, and call him back using the techniques I’ve learned here. I told him I was upset by our conversation but I could understand why he thinks we only talk about the same few subjects. I told him that i was sorry I didn’t realize anime and music were so important to him and if he wanted to share those things with me in the future, I would be more than happy to listen, learn and discuss them.

Then I told him as we both share more experiences about our lives, we would probably always find more things to talk about. Lastly, I said that there were probably lots of things I would want to talk to him about that I just never have, and maybe we could have some more interesting conversations.

He immediately calmed down and backed down. He thanked me for calling him back. He let me know that sometimes when he says stuff like that, in some twisted way, he’s usually just trying to keep me talking to him because he misses me. And i recognize that to be true as this has happened before and he’s said this before... but for the life of me, I can’t understand the thought process behind it. It seems like the worst way to talk to someone you miss. It’s like shoving someone out the door with words and then blaming them for leaving.

Anyway, I SORT OF see his point. I don’t want to be one of those couples that stops talking to each other. It was just shocking to hear because we usually spent an hour or two on the phone every day just talking about EVERYTHING. It was a very strange accusation that I can’t wrap my head around.

BPD is confusing and frustrating. I don’t even know when it’s BPD anymore. And our conversations are always SO nice before it gets turned on it’s head by one remark.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 01:25:11 AM by paperinkart » Logged
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 02:13:52 AM »

I decided to take a deep breath, and call him back using the techniques I’ve learned here. I told him I was upset by our conversation but I could understand why he thinks we only talk about the same few subjects. I told him that i was sorry I didn’t realize anime and music were so important to him and if he wanted to share those things with me in the future, I would be more than happy to listen, learn and discuss them.

nice recovery.

lets walk this through...

Excerpt
Then he said some remark like “sometimes I wonder if you only got the car so that I would stay interested in you”. I was honestly taken aback and told him that was an extremely narcissistic and egotistical thing to say.

its definitely a hurtful, and curious thing to say.

i remember one time i made a joke to my ex, about her ex, that my primary goal was to be together longer.

ouch! and she didnt take to it kindly.

personally, i find that when someone says something that hurts me, it rarely helps to throw it back at them.

rather than coming from an accusatory or defensive place, what if you had asked him "what do you mean by that?". because maybe he meant nothing at all by it. and maybe he was being a jerk. and if he was being a jerk, psychologically speaking, you can call someone a jerk, or you can use a subtle response that points it out, without really pointing it out.

Excerpt
I was so frustrated and angry at this conversation because I’m tired of being guilty for things I had no idea were even issues. But anyway, I did my typical quick reaction and got mad and defensive and of course the conversation went downhill and turned into a fight. Then we just hung up the phone and I expected that to be it while he goes away and isolates himself in the woods for 2 days and I just have to sit here feeling bad and anxious about our argument.

Then I told him as we both share more experiences about our lives, we would probably always find more things to talk about. Lastly, I said that there were probably lots of things I would want to talk to him about that I just never have, and maybe we could have some more interesting conversations.

most couples...id venture to say all couples, fall into this trap. you run out of things to talk about.

its very rare that these sorts of things are obvious issues. this was his way of telling you. you did well to listen. one thing that has bitten me in the butt many times, is that a partner complaining to me about the relationship isnt necessarily a personal attack (although it certainly can be). typically, and even if they could have put it better, its them telling me what they want from me, from the relationship.

my advice? take it that way. hes expressing that he wants to connect with you on other levels.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
paperinkart

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 05:59:33 PM »

Thank you very much for another thoughtful and insightful reply!

I do agree that I could have asked him what he meant instead of immediately attacking and defending myself.

A lot of other drama has unfolded since last night, mostly unrelated to this, but I really don’t know if I can keep continuing on. It’s just been one thing after another and today, I found out he told a big lie. I feel betrayed and am very hurt.  Not really a great follow-up to last nights argument.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 04:35:59 AM »

what happened?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
paperinkart

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 02:09:37 PM »

I found out he lied about something. Even though we’ve had numerous conversations about how I need him to be honest with me, and that the lying makes me more upset than anything he’s scared to tell me. He still lied. I’m not even that upset about what he lied about, just that he lied.

Then he ran off to the mountains to go camping by himself and won’t answer my calls or texts checking in to make sure he’s still alive/okay.

There’s nothing I can do now but back off and hope he’s alright until he gets back and hopefully (?) will talk to me about it.

I’m just feeling anxious and betrayed. But I’m also scared for him and his safety.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest