Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 04:55:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Glimmer of Hope  (Read 350 times)
paperinkart

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Together (But It’s Tough Lately!)

« on: January 15, 2020, 08:08:37 PM »

Hey friends,

Sorry for double posting today but I just wanted to update you guys, in case you read my post earlier today (“The Switch”).

I won’t go into all the details in this post but basically my boyfriend messaged me today and said “do we even love each other?” And when I pressed for more information and was basically like “HUH?”, he ignored me for hours.

I hate to admit that I totally freaked out and was all over the map. I was sending him desperate messages, angry ones, pathetic ones, all of which went unanswered. I was feeling devastated because I am so, so tired of being ignored/stonewalled when things get hard between us. NOTHING triggers my anxiety more than being ignored.

Finally, in the evening, I realized my car key had fallen as i was getting out of the car and I was locked out of my car in -45C weather. I texted him again to jokingly just say “if I die, these are my last words to you Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)”.

He wrote me back a few times to ask if I was safe and if I was okay.

Once the situation was sorted and I was back home, he messaged me again to make sure I was alright. Then he sent the following:

“I wish I wasn't stupid and stubborn and stop allowing myself to push you away in moments of extreme admiration for you and when thinking about our future... And how I would be happy if we weren't fighting anymore because I miss you”

So THEN, I took a deep breath and said something I was really scared to say. I knew i could totally backfire any progress we had made but I decided I needed to stand up for myself and say some truth:

“ I wish the same things. Ignoring someone on purpose is emotionally abusive. It has to stop. There's no excuse for it anymore.

At the same time, I know I need to react differently and not panic so much. I know I need to learn to give you your space and have more empathy when you're feeling these things.”

I waited nervously and here was his reply:

“I’m sorry. I realised those things and I'm working on it. Ignoring someone is emotionally abusive. And you don't deserve it... some things trigger me. It's usually when times are best that I just sabotage them like this. It's almost like the times I love you the most are the most frightening”

We’re still talking it out but look at that! I feel like some progress has been made from both of us, even if it’s just acknowledging the problem and promising to work on it- it feels like big steps!
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Ozzie101
Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 07:52:34 AM »

That is really promising, paperinkart! Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Keep talking through it and working on yourself. Be aware that if he dysregulates, a lot of that progress could go temporarily out the window. Not trying to be a killjoy, just a little heads-up because I've had similar things happen with my H. But when he comes back to baseline, it's usually all good again. As my therapist says, progress isn't linear. There will be steps back. But the overall trajectory should be up.

I'll bet that felt so good to get such a positive response!
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 08:09:51 AM »

Love that you're talking through this with emotionally centered responses. Ozzie offered really wise insight about progress not being linear. The texts give you something to go back to when there is dysregulation.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

I'm happy for you!  Love it! (click to insert in post)
pj

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest