Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 05:45:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I feel I’m carrying the bulk of the responsibility and it's taking its toll  (Read 380 times)
Samwise34
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: January 28, 2020, 12:02:32 AM »

I’m not really sure where to start or what exactly I’m looking for, but here’s the gist.

My husband has been living with ADHD, depression, and anxiety. This will sound unkind but for several years now I’ve secretly viewed him as immature emotionally, and needing to “grow up”. It’s only recently that I have started researching BPD, and I am beginning to wonder if he may have it. I’m so convinced that he has some type of disorder that I’ve told him, gently, that I think it’s imperative he seeks therapy and tells the doctor that he wants to be evaluated for personality disorders.
He seems to be warming up to the idea, so that makes me hopeful that he will get to a place where he can get properly diagnosed and treated, so that he can be happy and healthy, and so that I feel like he’s stable. Right now I feel like I’m carrying the bulk of the responsibility and it is taking its toll. I can only confide so much in my family because I’m afraid they will judge or think poorly of him.

Some things I see in him (maybe some of these fit into the BPD criteria and others not so much)

Very sensitive.
Very reactive - short fuse and BIG reaction to stress or emotional pain.
Feels like an outcast.
Has trouble staying at one job (he always seems to find an enemy and makes it into a situation in his head where one has to go...he becomes so discontent he creates problems at work and then ultimately he changes jobs because he feels like he has no future wherever he is)
Quick to place blame on others.
Makes comments that indicate he feels broken or defective.
Desperately needs approval of others.
Feels like people dislike him (at work this translates into a “they’re out to get me” mentality and he is CONVINCED)
Sometimes he acts like I’m a saint and others like I’m the most difficult, coldest and least understanding woman in the world (I often feel like an angry teenager is lashing out at me)
Cannot tolerate stress.

So I don’t know if I’m reading too much into things but either way, I think he needs therapy and I just hope I’m not doing more harm than good. But this is getting harder to live with. Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 11:08:37 AM by Harri, Reason: changed title pursuant to guideline 1.5 » Logged
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Ozzie101
Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 08:46:50 AM »

Hello, Samwise! Welcome to the family! Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

You've definitely come to the right place. I can tell you that what you wrote is so familiar to me both in my own life and in other stories I've read here. You're not alone. Believe me.

It's so exhausting to feel like the functioning adult in the marriage, isn't it? I've felt that way with my H. The other day, my H said to me, "You're just miles above me, maturity-wise." I thought (but didn't say), "Yeah, no kidding." Being cool (click to insert in post)

Excerpt
I can only confide so much in my family because I’m afraid they will judge or think poorly of him.
Smart move. I learned that lesson the hard way. Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post) So much better to use the community here as an outlet -- and a therapist if you have one. (I do, and she's been a huge help as well.)

Your list of behaviors certainly fits BPD. Will he get a diagnosis? Maybe. Maybe not. It's notoriously difficult to diagnose and there are some therapists who refuse to treat it. But, you're in luck. Even without a diagnosis, there are skills and tools you can learn here that can help you. My own H has never been diagnosed, but with the help of the family here, I've been able to make some changes in myself and our relationship has improved a lot.

One of the big things I learned was that I was inadvertently making things worse by using poor communication techniques. Perhaps when you feel like it, you could share a bit more? Maybe give us a recent example of an incident -- a he said/she said play-by-play. Getting a handle on the dynamics and how these exchanges typically go helps us help you trouble-shoot and look for ways you might improve things.

Keep posting! Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 11:09:27 AM by Harri » Logged
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest