Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 02:46:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: appointments kept..relief  (Read 356 times)
java919

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: live apart

« on: January 26, 2020, 07:19:21 AM »

wrote a first post last week  about my daughter in 30s
lives across country sometimes makes it a bit easier,
but sometimes when everything hits fan feeling this powerless
not being able to b able to deal with things face to face
can really tear at my heart specially if she is in sad pain mode feeling life wil never get better, she is self aware enough to kno she  wants to b different
the anger lashing out still occurs but as shes moved thru her 30s mayb maturity has helped some helping her get reality is working at functioning
there are plenty of days, week that backslide but the rebound eventually happens  (leaving me almost unable to function by that point)  and her ife is again semi quiet for a while
this wk was week one w therapist and a dr appt the dream is like w other things her age and self knowledge wil have her stick with it

has anyone else found as decades pass teens thru 30s theyve noticed  a difference in severity length of symptpms?
sending best to all
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Kwamina
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 06:03:28 PM »

Hi java919 Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

It can be very tough when a child has BPD. Dealing with their often intense and extreme behaviors can be very difficult and really take a toll on you as their parent.

How are things now?

In your post you mention a therapist and doctor, were you referring to the professionals helping your daughter?

Though BPD is quite a challenging disorder, there certainly have been people with BPD who through hard work have learned to better manage their own difficult thoughts and emotions, resulting in improvements in their behavior. Do you feel like your daughter understands and fully acknowledges and accepts that she has a disorder? Do you believe she is committed to getting/staying in treatment to help her better manage her BPD?

The Board Parrot

Oh, give me liberty! For even were paradise my prison, still I should long to leap the crystal walls.
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 02:13:59 PM »

Hi Java
Everyone is different but yes changes in the duration and severity of symptoms does change over time and sometimes it is for the better. It is great that she is motivated enough to change that she sees a psychologist. Does she have an interest in dialectical behavioral therapy?
java919

Relationship status: live apart

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 10:12:24 PM »

update...
unfortunately the therapist (who was one she had seen a few years back)
did not click this time, after 3  or 4 visits there was no interest in continuing
i did get sense that she was disappointed
fingers crossed she wil want to work with someone else but i kno thats
something she has to decide and stick with

shes gotten better at seeing when things are escalating emotionally and sometimes
has been able to take a pause and understand she needs to step back think

doesnt mean there still arent the blow ups, harping, unwillingness to  let go of the anger but as i wrote in original post  i see there is more of an internal handle on things at times where before there wasnt

took a long time for me to understand there are some things much as i want, pray, wish for them i cant change
can b heartbreaking but is what it is and keep reminding myself to focus on what has improved over time cause the memories of things at their worst are still so vivid

grateful for the support, and community

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest