Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 01:27:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Denial is a long river  (Read 410 times)
Equinmar
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Mother

« on: April 04, 2020, 02:38:32 PM »

I was in denial about why my daughters behavior was so volatile as a preteen and up to now. She’s is 21. Taking a leave from college and in rehab for drug and alcohol abuse. No idea what the future for her holds. Not at all what we hoped and saved our whole lives for.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Huat

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 04:09:07 PM »

Hello Equinmar and welcome to BPD Family forum Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

What comes to mind is the phrase..."Welcome to the club!"  I'm pretty sure I speak for many others when I say that this journey life has taken us on is "not at all what we hoped and saved our whole lives for."   Oh the dreams we had when those precious little beings were first put in our arms...us so unsuspecting that things could/would turn out so different.

Our daughter starting acting out when she was about to become a teenager.  So many times we and others with whom we consulted, just chalked her rebellion to be that of what a lot of teenagers go through as they adjust to hormonal changes.  Yep, teenage rebellion...she will eventually grow out of it.  Here I am, 40+ years later, a participant in a forum like this.   Denial?  I can't say that in our case.  We knew there was a problem but what was it?  "It" didn't have a name.  There just wasn't the information on personality disorders that there is now.

You haven't shared if your daughter has been diagnosed as having BPD.  That is not an uncommon thing mentioned in members' posts.  Our daughter has never been officially diagnosed but when a counsellor we were seeing first suggested this as her problem, I started to read/explore.  The tick marks are there.

So, no doubt you have a rocky road ahead of you with your daughter.  It is good to read that she has gone to rehab for her drug/alcohol abuse...good that she was open to doing that!  Now you are going to have to dig in and get armed with information on how to support her...how to look after yourself.  There are no easy fixes...it is time consuming to do this.  It can be discouraging if you try a "technique" with/on her and it doesn't work.  Hopefully though, strategies will start to work along the way and what a feeling of empowerment that will bring to you.

In "normal times" I would suggest going to a counsellor...but something to think about for later on.

As one thing or another is shutting down during this pandemic crisis, there can be a lot of down-time for each of us.  I like to spend time reading.  In the material I was reading the other day was..."Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain."  Too schmaltzy?  Well, maybe, but...….thought provoking...for me.

Hope you continue to post, Equinmar.  I'm noticing that the traffic here is much slower these days...very understandable as people are facing other more pressing difficulties.  With that said, don't be discouraged if you do post and there are later-or-no-replies.  It has been a comfort to me over the time I have been here to put my fingers on the keyboard and pour out my heart and my hurts.  Sometimes just reading my own words has given me incentive to carry on.

Glad you found us.

Huat

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest