Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 02:09:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: needing some support  (Read 384 times)
cd_ex

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: ex boyfriend

« on: February 23, 2020, 05:04:07 AM »

Hey everyone. I've been reading these threads for a while and definitely need a place to open up to feel heard and understood as well as finding an understanding community.

My exBPD and I had a 3+ year r/s. She attached to me after 4 days even though I was separated but still married. After a few months, she moved states to live with me and this forced the divorce (I think now intentional on her end).

Over the couple years, all the signs of BPD were there... never admitting wrong, deflecting, jealousy, ANGER, roller coaster emotions, splitting, go crazy until I would leave and then beg me to stay with sex... pretty much everything but the suicidal stuff (she would never be that way). When I asked her about her previous 10 year r/s and marriage, she only said that it "was a bad time in her life and she blocked it out" and that her and her ex "weren't in love anymore and just argued all the time" (now I can see why haha). No break up was ever her fault. She was the victim and after just 4 days of knowing her, I was her knight in shinning armor... for a little while at least.

Long story short, she had pushed me away in the r/s and caused a lot of emotional damage. I know as a co-dependent, I'm a little sensitive, but this was a lot of taking without giving, anger and emotional bullying, arguing, deflecting and avoiding any discussion that involved talking about the relationship or how to improve. After 3 years, I was unfaithful with my ex-wife. I told her about it and that it was a mistake and that I wanted to be with her and was hoping to work things out. She scorched earth my entire existence... contacted my friends, my work and blasted it all over social media.

That night, I had a 5-hr lambasting of how terrible I was and that she hopes I die alone, should never raise kids, etc. The next day, I got an apology and the day after that she was telling me that she missed me and wanted me to fly out to France with her for a whole month for work.

For the next 7 months, it was a roller coaster. I was patiently waiting and working on things while she would bounce in and out of the r/s. She would get close and then split and rage from the hurt of the affair. But by the end of it, we were on great terms for whole month. Talking about marriage and kids. Everything was back to normal and "i love you's" were flowing. We were better than we ever were.

The day after we had looked at houses together and talked about what wedding ring she would want, she text me that she needed a break. I obliged, and the next two days were messages of how hard it was, that she still loved me and wanted to be with me, etc. Then a couple days later, she was in Hawaii with some friends and I get a message that she only came back so many times because "I convinced her to" (which I never did) and only because I was "familiar". That the anger about the affair was "toxic to her life" and she needed to move on and we could never talk again.

A week later, she shows a relationship with one of the people from Hawaii and had only known for 2 weeks. It's been 4 weeks since and they are both planning on moving to CO together and posting all over social media. He is now the knight in shinning armor that saved her. I have been completely replaced by a seeming better option.

In ONE week she went from wanting to marry me, needing a break but still loving me, to in a new relationship with the love of her life. WHIPLASH! She always distracted herself when she was stressed or angry or sad or anything other than happy. She could never sit still in emotions and had a constant need for validation. Maybe this is just that? But she seems SO smitten and "happier than she's ever been".

The worst part isn't being replaced or comparing myself to this new person (which sucks!). It's the splitting and dissociation of the three years of love and talks of marriage and kids and kinds of support that are now completely eradicated from her mind. It's being forgotten and disregarded that sucks. I feel completely devalued and torn apart, even though a lot of me knows this is the BPD and just attaching to find self worth. The relationship starting with him is so similar to ours in its pacing, circumstances, etc.

The replacement is a 7 month widow of a 14 year relationship and I can only imaging she is giving him purpose and it probably feels so amazing to be wanted and loved again. She respected his grieving boundaries about as well as she respected my marital ones. He still posts about his wife on social media, wears his wedding ring and runs a foundation in her name. I can't image the BPDex is going to be ok with that for very long.

I feel horrible, but there are still some small angry parts of me that hope the honey moon phase ends and it goes down in flames. Or she does the same stuff she has done to me and her ex-husband... and it goes down in flames.

But then there is a larger part of me that just wants her to be happy. The part that truly loved her and still does. I feel like I'm better off and even struggled being in the relationship the last year of it because of the emotional beat downs and roller coasters, but I miss my best friend and the idea that I was going to spend the rest of my life with her. And at 34, starting dating again just feels like a total drag.

I don't think she is just finding the next victim, she's not a narcissist. I truly think she's splitting and seeing nothing but amazing white and all the strong feelings she felt for me are the same she's feeling for him. Strong feelings of attachment to fill herself worth up, not necessarily love.

Thank you all in advance for your thoughts and support.
cd_ex

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: ex boyfriend

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 05:06:24 AM »

I guess my question is this:

is it normal to compare the crap out of yourself to the replacement and beat yourself up?

Also, HOW could she go from one extreme to the other SO QUICKLY. Cry for a couple days and then you're in love with the next person you meet that gives you attention?
Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 08:14:04 PM »

cd_exWelcome new member (click to insert in post)

I'm so sorry that you're going through this! I'm really glad you posted and are sharing your pain with us.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

It's crazy how much of a roller coaster this is when you have someone in your life with BPD or BPD tendencies. I think sometimes the most stable thing in our lives becomes the unstableness of it all. I have been married for 35 years to someone who often reminded me of my uBPDm, and now that I've been separated for a year, I realize there is much less drama in my life, unless of course I wander back in to see DH as I am now with trying to get our house up for sale. Those points of contact (for you it may be through social media as you mentioned) can be tough. The going back and forth to the house keeps me engaged to a certain extent, and I become caught up in the drama so easily once again.

Excerpt
is it normal to compare the crap out of yourself to the replacement and beat yourself up?

I would say yes, absolutely normal. We beat ourselves up over many things, and I am right there with you. My replacement wasn't a person exactly, but rather a business investment with a person. Same principle though because he chose something over me and moved on. That was very hurtful! It was almost as if I didn't exist which just rubbed salt in the wound. I'm sure there are many others out there who can attest to the same or similar thing that you are experiencing.

Hang in there and keep sharing. It really does help.

Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
EstherEcho
Fewer than 3 Posts

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Friend
Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 03:52:55 PM »

My experience with BPD is relatively small (I joined the forum because a housemate of mine that I was close to seems to have uPBD), but I’ve been reading people’s stories to try to get an understanding of this disorder. I just wanted to encourage you to feel that 34 is not too old to be dating. I’m 36 and have a really lovey time dating. I’ve also had many years of therapy to support me to understand and manage my previous habitual relationship modes (resulting from my family of origin). This therapy has helped me to articulate my needs from the very beginning, and have clear boundaries with the people I date. I’ve found that the more I know myself, the more enjoyable it is to get to know others and share intimacy. I wish this for you also, and just to re-iterate, you are never, ever too old for enjoyable dating, and you deserve relationship/s that are fulfilling, healthy and mutual. Good luck x
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest