Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 09:50:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How does one break up with someone with BPD?  (Read 817 times)
solspectre

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: March 31, 2020, 03:51:42 AM »

While I had thought that I wanted to marry him, despite knowing he has BPD, at this point I am just not sure I want to keep doing this anymore. I do not think it will be possible to find anyone with the amazing qualities he possesses, but the reality is, the amazing things he has, in a sense, it is counterfeit... It is not even real! I always wanted the most surreal love imaginable, as an intensely romantic person, but I have to realize that when he is behaving that way, he is operating from a place entirely diametrically contradictory to actual love.  I do not know why it is so hard to conceptualize and understand.

So, I am wondering, for when I am finally ready to step away for good - How do I do this exactly? I have tried before, many times, and in different ways...but as it's known I'm sure, the end of the world ensues. We live in separate countries, which does help, however - he is ingenius in his social engineering, and we have the same interests philosophically. I do not have many outlets now, it has been as such for a long time, as I have been isolated for years already for health reasons, so I have joined some online communities involving the shared spiritual philosophy we have. He already uses this fact to his benefit. He will not admit it but I know he just loves how isolated I am, because it ensures his emotional needs are met perfectly. I suspect he already has plans as he suspects what I am going to do, and he is an INTJ and a brilliant with planning. I already can see evidence of him positioning himself in ways with all his multiple accounts on FB and other places in some of these groups to set it up to create hell there for me when I leave. As he did before, but this time worse - he will do everything to try to destroy me and my reputation, and also my music and art. I have finally completed a project of a music album of a sort of niche genre (my whole life I waited to complete this, and release it, and I finally am doing it and he will try to shatter this utterly in the small communities of people who might enjoy it). I lost my friends years ago during this physical illness I had, and he will try to ruin any new friendships I am trying to form. People have this habit of believing him because of how he comes across to them, and because I am intense too, thus he plays the angel and victim and tries to show "evidence" of my so-called "insanity" and they always believe his BS. I do not have any support save for my ex-boyfriend who is like my family, now possibly ill with the coronavirus. The BPD partner will try to ruin everything. He always sees every single angle. But this time I want to be the one who is 10 steps ahead of him.

I realize no matter how I do it all hell will break loose, however there must be some proper strategy here. I am already so exhausted from him. I can't even think straight. I likely will wait until after this COVID crisis lifts.
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 03:56:43 PM »

So you are concerned that he would try to ruin your reputation should you end your relationship?

And you are currently living in different countries so in a sense you are separated, especially now with Covid 19.

How are you communicating with him at present? And could you gradually distance yourself so that you’re not in as much contact?

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

Relationship status: Dissolved

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 09:36:45 PM »

How does the end of the world ensue if you decide to step away? It sounds like you’re trying to find a pathway out, but there are some things blocking the way. You have empathy, compassion and love for him, but you’re conflicted about who those feelings are for. Like you’re not sure if you really know him.

How did things go when you tried to step away before? How did you go about it? How did he react when you attempted to leave? What brought you back to him?

You know him well. What would you like to do here?

“Adversity can destroy you, or become your best seller.”
-a new friend
solspectre

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 05:22:11 AM »

Cat Familiar and JNChell - Yes, he will try to ruin my life I suspect. I could be wrong, but I would say there is a 50/50 chance. That might be hard to imagine someone as far away as he is to do, but I do not put anything past this guy when he is royally angered. I was stupid enough as well in the past to give him the contact info of my ex that I mentioned. My ex has some issues of his own, and my boyfriend knows this, and knows the right buttons to push. He was also himself apparently in a very dangerous situation with a crazy psychopathic guy who was manipulating him and doing very horrible things, and I suspect some of that trauma has integrated into his psyche even  more, and I also suspect he uses some of these techniques on me as well.

The crazy thing about all of this is that he believes he is a loving man. He does not see any of his behavior as negative or abusive.

We communicate every day. Even though he is many many hours ahead of me, he wakes up when I go to sleep and vice-versa, but we have a routine. We usually try not to break it. If anything changes at all about this routine, it upsets the balance and can be triggering. He will know I am getting distant.

JNChell - you hit the nail on the head when you said,
Excerpt
It sounds like you’re trying to find a pathway out, but there are some things blocking the way. You have empathy, compassion and love for him, but you’re conflicted about who those feelings are for. Like you’re not sure if you really know him.

Exactly that! I feel as if I don't quite know who he is. So much of this relationship has been over a vast distance, it is nearly impossible to form a coherent picture of him. I can't help but wonder what he is manufacturing, what he is painting for me to see, what he does behind the scenes. The whole thing has been dragged out for so long, due to difficulties, and his own difficulties being able to come to my country even, and for him to hold a job for a long period of time. He claims with the jobs, stress is always the reason, or some other factor, but he cannot see the disorder in his mind.

Before, at first I stepped away (we hadn't even met) and found myself by chance temporarily involved with someone else. It wasn't what I had thought it would be, and I missed him so much I returned. The other times, arguments were ensued, largely started by him refusing to forgive me for the leaving the first time, and basically just snowballed from there. At one point some other online friends I had at the time got involved, and the whole thing was a giant disaster, he then harrassed them one by one, and harrassed everyone he could get a hold of (including my aging mother) to tell them the worst possible things about me he could, to attempt to ruin my life. I cannot even remember how we ended up solving it. But that was one of the biggest explosions (and sustained! every time I spoke to him) I ever saw from him... He behaved like a monster... And called me the monster... And he still believes to this day he was right... Other times when I returned, I would leave for a few days, and he would harrass me with horrible accusations and pleading, and I would return, and he would gaslight me and be screaming at me. I twisted myself a few times for his sake then, which I regret - Admitting to half the stuff he accused me of (even though it was insane and wildly untrue) just so he would stop.

It makes one thing, why do I even go there at all? What made me return you say? Well, he has a way with poetic words, he has a way with intelligent conversations and the use of his mind and his dreams and visions for the future. Our mutual spiritual interest, his tendency to be very extreme in nature and very, very affectionate, etc. I never found it elsewhere, ever. The beautiful things about him are quite remarkable to me, and somehow captures me. Also that I have some serious health issues that most people do not want to have in their lives, thus I realized a while ago I wouldn't really be able to easily find anyone, let alone anyone with X and Y traits as he has.

I think honestly if I had better outlets, if I had more people I knew for example (difficult now with the coronavirus happening), if I had not been isolated already for so long as it is, I think it would be different and I would more easily be able to leave. But I think I am feeling quite stuck like this.

We had an argument the other day where he was attacking me for being too paranoid, untrusting, and "negative". But I was telling him this began because of him, how his nitpicking and negative reactions to me were what always triggers this mistrust. I couldn't keep it in again. He blew up at me, cursed at me, and threatened to break up with me, and nearly did. He has not done that in a while, but it is because I have been careful where I step.
We talked through it and he told me, surprisingly, for the first time I think - "Well jesus, you need to tell me these things, how can I improve myself if you don't tell me what I am doing wrong. How am I nitpicking you?" I did this before, but he never listens. He wanted exact, specific examples. (When I have tried that as well in the past, he just tried to maneuver around it and used "logic" to twist mental puzzles to try to make it seem like it was something I was doing). Of course right now I have generalities, I do not write down every single moment he speaks, and it is so overwhelming that by the time it is overwith, I am spent, done. He is an artist at emotional manipulation. He knows the right kind of pressure, intensity, mental acuity and mental prowess - and he knows how to target my weak points so that I have no more energy left, let alone memory of who said what. But I told him I would try to tell him when he is doing it. But he is on good behavior right now, who knows how long that will last.

I want to get out of this, I do, but I am so conflicted. I also want to show him what he is doing once and for all. I want him to recognize his behavior. I realize he may not. I know that if and when I have this "list" for him, he will just deny everything and do the exact same thing he did the other night, by projecting it all back onto me. Then he will vilify me utterly, he will probably try to take me down with the sinking ship, before (or hell, even maybe while he is yet) moving on to someone else.

Sorry this is so long, I guess I just needed to explain it.
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 12:12:52 PM »

You are hoping to make him aware of his behavior and how it impacts you. That is very unlikely to happen. People with personality disorders find it unbearable to have their failings pointed out by their partners.

It sounds like you feel very lonely and think that what he offers you is the best you’ll ever get. But you are weighing the damaging behavior with the positives and you are unsure if this relationship is worth the price  you pay emotionally.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
JNChell
a.k.a. "WTL"

Relationship status: Dissolved

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 01:00:45 PM »

Tell you what. Cat said it best. You’re gambling with things, and that’s ok. A big part of detachment and self awareness is realizing that we didn’t really know our partner. There is nothing wrong with that. In fact, it’s an important gateway to our healing. You’re grieving and missing him. The good times. Can you differentiate the good times from the bad times? What does the math tell you?

Being in an abusive relationship can take its toll. I understand. It can cause us to question our reality when we love an emotional manipulator.

You don’t know him because he doesn’t know himself. Does that make sense? He wanders around trying to be what catches his attention. It’s ok and good to feel sorry for him, but you don’t have to be stuck in that. Let him go and feel the feelings that come on by doing so. Let him go. He’s distressed and not doing well. He’s not self aware and that is potentially dangerous.

“Adversity can destroy you, or become your best seller.”
-a new friend
AskingWhy

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 05:49:26 PM »

If you have not already done so, see the book, "Splitting: Protecting Yourself While Divorcing Someone with Borderline or Narcissistic Personality Disorder."

https://www.amazon.com/Splitting-Protecting-Borderline-Narcissistic-Personality/dp/1608820254/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

This is an important guide for anyone considering leaving a BPD or NPD.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest