Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 10:11:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bettering the episode strategies  (Read 361 times)
secretgirl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 07, 2020, 06:56:06 AM »

Do you ever sometimes look at your pwbpd as a child ?
That’s how I’ve been viewing my high functioning ubpd bf for the last six months and it’s worked.

I put myself back into the days of when I was a kid and how my parents reacted... the times when you wanted to get that last “dig” in when you were pissed off at them ... or the times you threw a tantrum when you didn’t get what you want. Best way to describe my bf during his episodes.

So I’ve come to these conclusions and ways of dealing with the solution from viewing him this way... How does this all resonate with you guys?

1. Take a look at the problem at hand... how important is it? (This will determine my involvement in the reaction I give )

2. If it’s not an important issue (aka he’s just having a tantrum) I treat him almost like me as a Kid and let him know my boundary, that I’m there and I will do x but not y and z. Then leave it.
3. If it’s something where I can tell he’s emotionally heightened I just listen and don’t react (pick my battles)

4. If it’s an important issue , I take a moment to calm down and think before I respond (just so I don’t react also and get caught up in the reaction)

These have helped me SO much and it’s mostly thanks to everyone here on the forum. It’s been a long journey for me adjusting and sometimes I still do have my weak moments and occasionally “snap back” or get more mad than I should but I’m still also a work in progress . Lol.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 11:47:56 PM »

welcome back sg  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

i think it really depends on what it means to look at your partner as a child.

it is suggested that if you want to listen with empathy, the best strategy involves listening to, picturing, getting in touch with their inner child. its really about seeing a persons humanity.

but the reality is your partner is an adult...even if he doesnt act like what most of us understand to be adult behavior all the time. no adult responds positively to being treated like a child.

the reality is that our partners are needy people with dysfunctional ways of getting their needs met. the needs are valid...the ways of getting them met often are not.

so it sounds like youve done a lot to stop the bleeding, not make things worse, and thats great.

but if youre dismissing or minimizing too much, you may be missing vital things your partner is trying to communicate about your relationship.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
secretgirl

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 01:31:29 AM »

welcome back sg  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

i think it really depends on what it means to look at your partner as a child.

it is suggested that if you want to listen with empathy, the best strategy involves listening to, picturing, getting in touch with their inner child. its really about seeing a persons humanity.

but the reality is your partner is an adult...even if he doesnt act like what most of us understand to be adult behavior all the time. no adult responds positively to being treated like a child.

the reality is that our partners are needy people with dysfunctional ways of getting their needs met. the needs are valid...the ways of getting them met often are not.

so it sounds like youve done a lot to stop the bleeding, not make things worse, and thats great.

but if youre dismissing or minimizing too much, you may be missing vital things your partner is trying to communicate about your relationship.

Totally!
And no , to be very clear I am def not minimizing or being dismissive I only related to him a child on this board and in this board alone ... I’d never treat him that way. I think what I meant to say is that his behaviour during episodes reminds me of a child Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)! And the best way for me personally to respond is to empathize with him as if he were one or just an immature adult with low emotional intelligence. It has helped me a lot because I used to get frustrated and that’s why most of our arguments have escalated I think it’s because I kept looking at him as if he were on my level and thinking to myself “why doesn’t he GET IT?”

Or his actions and responses weren’t ones I was expecting when compared to other ppl I’ve dated etc. So I think the child “thinking “ is what’s helped me and also what you’ve said previously in terms of viewing him as a person who has the same problems as a non except takes it to the extreme ...

One issue I’m still having however is sometimes not being able to communicate fully my POV to him... is there a way to successfully do this? For example, let’s say I tell him how I feel about situation “X”, and he responds with a response that seems like what I’m saying still isn’t getting through to him ... do you usually take a step back and think of another way to say it ? Or do you straight up just ask him/her what they don’t understand ? I usually don’t ask the latter because I don’t want to sound offensive and trigger him.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 12:10:32 AM »

Excerpt
One issue I’m still having however is sometimes not being able to communicate fully my POV to him... is there a way to successfully do this? For example, let’s say I tell him how I feel about situation “X”, and he responds with a response that seems like what I’m saying still isn’t getting through to him ... do you usually take a step back and think of another way to say it ? Or do you straight up just ask him/her what they don’t understand ? I usually don’t ask the latter because I don’t want to sound offensive and trigger him.

can you give us a recent example of how youve gone about it?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest