Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 04:54:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't tell if my ex and I should ever try again or not  (Read 373 times)
gettingthrough20
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: broken up

« on: June 14, 2020, 09:32:11 PM »

Can't even guarantee it's BPD. Went well for 6 months. Definitely could feel the steam running out during the last few weeks, but that can be typical. Just figured we would talk and get through a rough patch, as had happened a couple times before. I never got a "fear of abandonment" vibe nor a suicidal/unstable sense of self vibe. Some mild anger. Also, a bit of isolation. However, she's shy so hard to tell if that's just circumstantial. She used to be more social but a lot of friends moved away. Yet, there is no question that we went from me being "perfect" to just "fine" to "we're done". There was no question problems with family growing up, so I can't tell if she's just an avoidant/non-committer with C-PTSD or actually has BPD. Regardless, I assume this can never work long term without therapy? We finally talked a few weeks ago after 5 months of silence and things went well. Still, the conversation ended very unclear where we stood except her saying she doesn't know if she ever wants to be in a relationship. Thoughts?
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 02:45:52 AM »

hi gettingthrough20, and Welcome

its hard to say where things stand. frankly, theres a lot of detail i think we need to hear in order to advise.

Excerpt
Yet, there is no question that we went from me being "perfect" to just "fine" to "we're done".

what was going on between these stages?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Topherchef

Relationship status: Complicated mid separation

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 05:32:01 PM »

I would say that time will set its course and no contact is the best way to heal in most cases. Take this time to focus on yourself and enjoy doing the things that YOU like to do.
I know it’s hard to keep you mind off of it but I’m in the same scenario or similar at least... I’ve been married to this woman for 11 years and one day she just decided she’s not “in love with me anymore”. I feel very lost and trapped and at fault but I can’t blame myself. I’ve done everything right. You can’t change another persons perception of reality or justify what they do or how they think.
gettingthrough20
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Relationship status: broken up

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 06:18:13 PM »

hi gettingthrough20, and Welcome

its hard to say where things stand. frankly, theres a lot of detail i think we need to hear in order to advise.

what was going on between these stages?

Thank you so much  Smiling (click to insert in post) glad to be here! That's a great question. I would say there were great days/moments and then some not so great days. She was usually smiling and full of energy. However, at the beginning, it was heart faces and texts all day. Could not wait to see me. As time went on, it felt more like obligation. Happy enough to see me, but not nearly as interested in how things were going with me, getting out and doing things, and intimacy went down drastically. Each time we would be apart for a few days (like the holidays), our reunion would be like the first time we met. But after about a week when our routines would set back in, things felt like they fizzled out. But, then, would perk up again unexpectedly.

I noticed during the last couple weeks, I was the one doing all the complimenting, making all the plans, initiating anything remotely physical, and was the only one saying "I love you" and any titles of affection. However, this quick spiral downward where I never got another "I love you" was after we'd had a great weekend and exchanged lots of affection and love and even tears of happiness to be together. I just assumed stress over the pandemic, work, and drama with friends and family was to blame. I figured like after the holidays, we just needed a couple days to reset. But the breakup came first.

It just felt so short-sighted. Like all of the parties, holiday celebrations, birthdays, and time spent together meant nothing. And all of our big plans for later, like trips, new outings with mutual friends, etc. were forgotten. Like it was all erased. I just couldn't believe all of our favorite shows, favorite meals, inside jokes, etc. meant so little. It was like she had this huge defensive wall up the entire time that allowed her to just forget it all. Based on our discussion a couple weeks ago, I see evidence that all was not forgotten. There still seemed to be resistance to trying again though. I can't tell if she's just a "honeymoon phase" dater that likes the intensity at the beginning but gets bored. Or if it truly was engulfment fears that always had her ready to cut out to avoid being rejected first.

It felt so childish not to be able to articulate a need for more space/independence or a different routine to get needs met. If it wasn't for the hot and cold parents and being raised by nanny after nanny, I'd think less of BPD. But there definitely seem to be signs of the same patterns from family and such neglect and inconsistency might explain why things went so far south so fast. Would giving each other healthier boundaries, like we did when we both had trips and were excited to get back to one another, make it better? Could it work and build that excitement to see each other? Unclear. Hopefully the extra details help!
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 10:10:19 PM »

I can't tell if she's just a "honeymoon phase" dater that likes the intensity at the beginning but gets bored.

most relationships dont make it out of the honeymoon phase. in some sense, we are all honeymoon phase daters.

the rose colored glasses come off. the quirks that were so endearing start to drive us up a wall.

more than that though, conflict and incompatibilities flair up.

it sounds like the two of you had a whirlwind romance, a good time, she distanced, and that left you wondering what was up.

the key to this really lies in figuring out what was going on underneath the whirlwind romance, the good times. what, underlying it all, was driving the two of you apart.

it may not be obvious. any ideas?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Kaufmann

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Unsure

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 10:40:25 PM »

I'm wondering if she in fact has BPD. In my relationship with someone who has undiagnosed BPD, the times of love are intense and the times of hate are intense, and there aren't really many in between times. The fact that you haven't noticed a fear of abandonment is interesting. I would explore this further. In my relationship, I often didn't understand why she would go from loving me to hating me, but after learning about BPD, I can now see that almost all of these shifts happened after seemingly "small" actions on my part most likely made her feel abandoned.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest