Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 06:47:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He tossed out insults at the slightest pushback Part 3  (Read 1055 times)
UBPDHelp

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2020, 09:21:40 PM »

because he has disordered thinking.
because you have porous boundaries.
because he has maladaptive coping skills.
because you avoid conflict.
because his choices protect him.
because your choices protect him.

Yuck, but thank you.

Re: boundaries...with all your help I’ve been able to implement some big ones. They are deal breakers. I’ve told him so.

But, I honestly feel like I need boundaries every time I turn around. I don’t think that is physically possible and yet, to improve my situation it is required.

It is because I don’t believe it’s reasonable, or possible, to continue like this with perpetual boundaries AND because I don’t think he can truly change, I look at the next 25 years and simply don’t want to continue living this way.

Excerpt
let me be clear.   I am not talking about physical responsibilities of the trash or the cooking or the kids college apartment.   I am talking about emotionally over functioning.    I am talking about taking more responsibility for the emotional condition of the relationship and family.

Add to that, I believe, the extra emotional responsibility of bouncing back AND ensuring the kids are okay. They need an emotionally and physically safe place. He hasn’t physically hurt anyone, but does things like bang loudly on doors sometimes to wake them up. He thinks it’s fine, but makes everyone jump.

Still working on this. And honestly being locked in pandemic has made it so much worse because it’s constantly on.

Excerpt
Relationships are filled with navigating things.   Healthy relationships resolve things because both parties are committed to making it work.    Unhealthy relationships do not resolve issues.   Healthy relationships share goals and understandings,  support both parties, work to meet both parties needs.    You have very little practice with relationships.   You assume what you experienced is normal.   It's not.   Normal relationships don't end up searching the internet to identify strange behavior.

Touché. We’ve “worked together” before. In hindsight only on small things and I’ve mainly implemented. Big stuff and it becomes angry and blame shifting. Geesh, if I take the blame anyway, I’d rather take it quietly in a corner by myself. Seriously.

Excerpt
I'm going to repeat myself.  twisting yourself into a pretzel trying to shape yourself to match his ability to understand/comprehend, ends up with you terribly twisted in your own thinking, and overly identified with his thinking.

I'm going to remind you to turn your focus on yourself, not him.

It’s so hard when he’s in my face 24/7 the last 4 months. I’m just trying to not escalate anything. Ugh. More work.

Excerpt
You are overly identified with his thinking to the expense of your own thinking.

You can't make him stop his behavior.   You can identify how you think about the door being left open... and what is the appropriate FOR YOU response to that.

'ducks

I just want to NOT have to think about it. I may literally just need to be physically distant to be able to stop. Not sure what’s wrong with me...some hang up with him right in front of me. Idk.

I think I have such a hard time finding that sweet spot (normal range).  I keep trying.
UBPDHelp

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2020, 09:27:06 PM »

Awesome summation by babyducks  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Part of navigating a relationship with a pwBPD is not giving aggressive, disruptive, unpleasant, irritating, annoying, unkind, thoughtless behavior any attention.

Reinforce the behavior you like, and you’ll see more of it.

Reinforce the awful behavior by attending to it, and you’ll see more of it.

Bless you Cat. Some days if I’m not “giving aggressive, disruptive, unpleasant, irritating, annoying, unkind, thoughtless behavior any attention“, I’ll have nothing to do or say to him. That is not a joke.

Other days I can do this, reinforce “good” behavior and bam, back to bad behavior and I don’t know what hit me.

The bottom line is I think I’ve reached the end of my ability to keep trying. And, if I read the text messages and my journals, I don’t even know what I’m fighting for.  I deserve better, my kids definitely do.

Thank you.
UBPDHelp

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2020, 09:34:55 PM »

In addition to what others have pointed out, I just wanted to highlight this.

You don't have to justify your feelings to him. You probably shouldn't attempt to. Beyond that, you don't have to justify your feelings to yourself. You feel what you feel. Feelings just are. Recognize them, acknowledge them, feel them. But I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to figure out if they're justified, and certainly wouldn't spend time trying to convince him you're justified in feeling the way you do. 

Hi stolencrumbs...always nice to hear from you when you pop on my saga.

I worded that a bit awkwardly. Let me try again.

If he’s raging at me and calling me names, I feel like it’s easier to say, yes, we should divorce.

If he stops that and turns to just nit picky, passive aggressive behavior, it seems a stretch to say I want to divorce...without reminding him of how horrible he’s been.

Ultimately my feelings are my own. I agree.

He is disordered.  He has selective memory.

He has called me a disgusting vile hillbilly slut (repeatedly).  He has called me Mrs. x-boyfriends name (repeatedly — bf from 30 years ago).  When I call him out he doesn’t “recall” it or think it was that bad.

But ultimately, I recognize that’s his responsibility and I have to look out for myself.

Really trying.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2020, 09:38:06 PM »

Self care and centering alert!   The "prescription" has been written...please fill it for you.

Hmmm...there are lots of comments about "over identifying" or "over thinking" what he is doing.  What does that actually mean to you when you read those things?

Please take a breath and read this in a gentle way...interpret it gently.

because I don’t think he can truly change, I look at the next 25 years and simply don’t want to continue living this way.

I'm a fan of your thinking and words when you say you don't want to continue...

I'm not a fan of your thinking and words when you say I don't want to continue because he

First of all, why hand him the power over your life and decisions?

Second of all, what if the "because he" isn't accurate/true/knowable?

Think about it...

Has he been able to change?  I can't see any accurate answer other than yes?

Has he made all the changes you want?  Obviously no.

If the past predicts the future and if he has changed, then...why would he stop changing in the future?

See how complicated and squishy it gets when your reasons for your life are because he instead of because I.

Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Again...gentle...let this settle in.

Best,

FF

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2020, 10:17:15 AM »

Staff only This thread has reached its maximum length and is now locked. The conversation continues here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=345348.0

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest