Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 01:29:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books most popular with members
Stop Caretaking the
Borderline or the Narcassist
Stop Walking
on Eggshells
Journey from
Abandonment to Healing
The Search for Real Self
Unmasking Personality Disorders

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's talk about Cornering Questions  (Read 1804 times)
HappyKJ

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: living together

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2020, 03:33:25 PM »

Wow, I really like the suggestions from Cat Familiar and Siobhan823 to own up to whatever the other is accusing you of (but in a casual way)! Because yes, so often in our arguments, his goal is to get me to admit that I'm a liar/selfish/bad listener/all around terrible person, and nothing else will satisfy him. In fact, apologies or sincere efforts to repair the situation infuriate him even more.

For my part, I make matters worse by battling whatever labels or accusations he is throwing at me, defending myself for dear life. If I just surrendered instead, it would end the battle much sooner while simultaneously taking the gravity out of those labels and accusations. It's not like I'm going to convince him otherwise anyway (at least in those moments), and at the end of the day, it's all just a matter of perspective and not worth getting worked up over.
siobhan823

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2020, 01:12:15 AM »

If I just surrendered instead, it would end the battle much sooner while simultaneously taking the gravity out of those labels and accusations. It's not like I'm going to convince him otherwise anyway (at least in those moments), and at the end of the day, it's all just a matter of perspective and not worth getting worked up over.

Yes. It's like what others were talking about with a neutralizing question. And then sometimes, at a later date, we can actually seek resolution (BPDh and me.) But when it's a cornering question 'moment' I find its best to offer the 'acceptance of his perception' kind of validation.
Rev
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced and now happily remarried.

The surest way to fail is to never try.

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2020, 07:31:52 AM »

Yes. It's like what others were talking about with a neutralizing question. And then sometimes, at a later date, we can actually seek resolution (BPDh and me.) But when it's a cornering question 'moment' I find its best to offer the 'acceptance of his perception' kind of validation.

I think it's fair to remind people on this thread that "neutralizing questions" have more or less effect based not only on the so-called quality of the question but also where the pwBPD lies on a spectrum.  There is growing evidence (again) that people lie on a spectrum for pretty much everything - and that's why timing is so important when asking these types of questions - as you so correctly point out.

There are some people - unfortunately because it is very sad - for whom the spectrum is very wide as are the accompanying swings.

I say this - partly for myself because I am prone to the occasional shame spiral - because for some relationships even this has a limited shelf life. Eventually, people caught in relationships that teeter on abusive can inadvertently push them into that territory by enabling the mood swings.  Some pwBPD are so far down the rabbit hole that without help, all they can relate to is feelings of anger, once the sugar of affirmation wears off.

So - as I read this thread - excellent as it is for its insights - I offer this simple clarification. Use strategies like this with caution. As my own T cautioned me - "Before you do anything Rev, if she refuses therapy, you need to ask yourself if she's even treatable at this point."

Really great to read this post.

Rev
juju2

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2020, 09:01:03 PM »

interesting topic.

It looks like an argument waiting to happen, there is no right answer.

How long have you been beating the dog.?

Something like that.i would use the skill of pause.

Pause some more.

Thoughtful pause...

All I would be doing is gathering compassion for another human being.

Anyone in attack mode, all about being right; is a wolf looking for blood.

This reminds me of stuff they experienced as a child and as adult, put words to.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest