Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 04:59:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Here, in need of help/support  (Read 565 times)
Jmom2boys

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: under 18 living at home causing havoc for all family members

« on: July 08, 2020, 10:58:26 PM »

Hi, Just found this site and boy do I need some help. My 17 yr old son has not been officially diagnosed with BPD but his psychiatrist, addictions counselor and social worker have been throwing around the terms emotional dysregulation and Cluster B Irregularities. He has tried numerous medications and has been taking Latuda for 2 weeks now with some mild success. I am sure that he will be diagnosed with BPD because he has 8 or 9 of the 9 criteria.

Some of the hardest things our family (myself, husband/Dad and younger brother) have been struggling with are his violent mood swings/outbursts, unstable relationships, off the charts impulsivity and reckless behavior, and suicidal threats. I could go on but I am sure you understand.

Anyways, I am here hoping and praying for some insight in how to keep my family safe, whole, and maybe one day happy again.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Panda39

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: SO and I have been together 9 years and have just moved in together this summer.

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 11:09:57 AM »

Hi Jmom2boys,

Welcome to the group  Welcome new member (click to insert in post) I'm glad you found us, we all have someone with BPD or BPD traits in our lives we "get it".  I'm here because of my Partner's undiagonsed BPD ex-wife (uBPDxw).  Like your son as far as I know she hasn't been formally diagnosed either, but sadly the shoe fits.  But it really isn't about labels or diagnoses, it's really about how to negotiate the difficult behaviors that we are faced with when we have someone with BPD/BPD traits in our lives.

When I first found out about BPD, the first thing I did was read about it...learn more about it.  I found it helpful to get a good grounding in what BPD is and books helped with that.  This site has helped in terms of support, tools, information and sometimes just a place to vent when I need to. 

I wanted to share some books you might want to check out just on BPD in general that I found helpful...

Stop Walking on Eggshells: Taking Your Life Back When Someone You Care About Has Borderline Personality Disorder by Paul T. T. Mason MS, Randi Kreger

The Essential Family Guide to Borderline Personality Disorder: New Tools and Techniques to Stop Walking on Eggshells by Randi Kreger

Overcoming Borderline Personality Disorder: A Family Guide for Healing and Change by Valerie Porr, M.A.

We also have a Library with book suggestions and reviews. 
Here is a link to it... https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?board=33.0

Excerpt
Some of the hardest things our family (myself, husband/Dad and younger brother) have been struggling with are his violent mood swings/outbursts, unstable relationships, off the charts impulsivity and reckless behavior, and suicidal threats

What you describe sounds very familiar.  Can you share some examples of what you are seeing and how you/your family have been responding?  That way we can get more detailed examples we can help problem solve or share tools that might be helpful should a similar situation arise.  How have you been handling suicide threats for example?

Take Care  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
Panda39

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and just said, I just don't care" -Pink
Jmom2boys

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: under 18 living at home causing havoc for all family members

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 11:31:30 AM »

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I know that the diagnosis isn't as important as working on behaviors, but for me, the knowledge of what this could be was an epiphany. It was knowing that he wasn't just being the meanest person that I must have some how made this way. Knowing that he isn't doing this on purpose, helped me.

I found the Walking On Eggshells book yesterday and in the first few pages was mention of this site so I automatically came here. I am reading the book, but need support and help faster than I can read it right now.

I have tried to sign up for the family connections program, but for now, there is nothing in my area due to covid. I signed up for notifications when there could be online or in person classes.

I have so many questions, so many hopes and dreams that have been trashed, so many tears, that at times I don't think we will survive. So thankful to have found this site.  I will be posting lots of questions.

Thank you  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest