Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 06:13:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 months later  (Read 381 times)
l8kgrl

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up

« on: July 16, 2020, 09:52:09 PM »

Hi all, it's been 5 months now since my breakup and I'm doing so much better. Thought I would share that in case anyone who's fresh out of a situation needs some hope.

I still feel sad sometimes, still cry a little, still think of him more than I'd like, and am still trying to let go of what I had hoped things could be. I've started dating again and met a couple people who seem great. I'm taking things very slowly (also necessary with Covid) and find myself feeling much more guarded and wary. I hate feeling so untrusting. On the positive side, I think I've become much more careful about looking at potential partners more objectively. I refuse to ignore anything that raises questions for me. I know where that leads. I've already chosen not to continue getting to know 2 people who had situations that didn't work for me (one lives too far away, one is financially unstable, which after supporting my ex-bf I just can't deal with right now). It feels good to be able to say (to myself), "nope, that doesn't work for me!" In the past I would have hemmed and hawed and tried to make it fit somehow.

I hope that as I learn to trust myself more, I won't feel so scared and distrusting of people's motivations.

I read a book about abusive relationships and found it very helpful. I think I've been a little obsessive reading various books but it helps me to try to understand things. It was also necessary to just sit in the pain, which fortunately/unfortunately was impossible to avoid during lockdown. With distance I've been able to see better how controlling he was, emotionally manipulative, psychologically abusive.

It blows my mind that I still sometimes miss someone like that. I'm trying to accept that too.

Addiction to the drama of it all is a real thing. It becomes a rollercoaster that's hard to get off of even when it's making you sick to your stomach.

Anyway, I hope all you lovely people are doing ok through this very stressful time!
BDR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 10:25:09 PM »

Thank you for sharing . I am starting divorce process ( after 20 years marriage -non contested after multiple addictions including sex), I am only communicating through e mail very sparingly. Today she mentioned just a separation because she is getting her life back together to prove to me and the girls she can be a better wife and mother . Its so sad and difficult for me , part of me wants to wait but as the front page of this website states - personality disorders are not short term but long term usually life long patterns of distorted thinking. I have 20 + years proof , yet part of me wants to leave the door open. I asked a friend if it would be bad for me to become one of the people she rendezvous with and not be the husband , but I know that would end up a mess .
l8kgrl

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 12:30:39 AM »

BDR, I’m sorry for what you’re going through. 20 years is a long time. Be gentle with yourself - it’s a process.

There’s lots of great support here and people who get it. We’re glad you’re here!
janelley

Relationship status: Recently broken up. Again.

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 04:29:56 AM »

thanks for sharing. I'm coming up to 60 days no contact after two years of up and down absolute rollercoaster trauma and I really need to hear that it fades, gets easier, feels less like I've lost my soulmate and will eventually occupy less of my brain. thank you l8kgrl 
l8kgrl

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 10:55:25 PM »

Janelley, glad it was helpful. It's a process for sure...but you will get stronger. I love that this community can help us feel less alone.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest