Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 06:04:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daughter´s budding BPD  (Read 372 times)
ChollaRose
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Shared Custody with BPD Father

« on: November 18, 2020, 06:55:21 AM »

My youngest is 12. I share custody with my ex BPD/Narcissist who is her father. I left him when she was 9. For a year now she has begun displaying BPD traits: lots of black and white thinking, lies, manipulation, insults, physical and verbal aggression when things don´t go her way... abusive. Many of the things she does are very similar to ways she saw her father treat me.
Right now, it´s super challenging having boundaries around her phone. It has become the addictive object, and I´m having such a hard time getting her to respect the time limits. She barricades herself in her room and refuses to give it up. Of course if I try to enter and confiscate the phone, it all blows up. What to do? How to help her?
She sees a therapist (and has since she was 9), and she knows. Do we need someone more specialized in DBT? Thank you! 
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Swimmy55
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 08:45:47 AM »

Hi ChollaRose and welcome.

My response may be lacking and I apologize ahead of time .  

Can you work with your daughter's therapist on her behaviors?    The setting of boundaries has to have consequences that you can live with/ can mete out .  Think through what is a consequence of  her not relinquishing the phone. Or better yet, are the time limits realistic ( no phone for a week vs no phone during dinner?). Or you don't have to take the "whole phone" away.  For example, if she is misusing an app like Instagram, maybe suspend / delete it temporarily for a few hours or some such.
I am not sure if I am hitting the mark here with my suggestions- please write back and fill in more context for  your situation if you are able.

Here is a link to peruse through:https://bpdfamily.com/content/setting-boundaries

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest