Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 03:55:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W having very tough time with lockdown and blaming my family and friends  (Read 385 times)
guitarguy09

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married

« on: November 29, 2020, 01:20:29 AM »

It's been a while since I posted here.

I'll start with the good news. I got a new job! I'm much less stressed and it is going to help us financially as well with even better possibilities down the road. Finances have been a stressor for several years.

My ubpd W however is not doing so good. While I am celebrating, she has been having a really hard time with business closures and lockdowns etc. We like to go to movies and go out to eat, both of which are closed for the next few weeks at least. Even worse, she blames my family and a couple of my close friends for these measures because they are more Covid aware than others. I try to tell her it is not their fault but to no avail. Anyone else experience this? I am not super paranoid about Covid but much more understanding that people can have different viewpoints.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 09:29:30 PM »

It’s a stressful time for everyone. Perhaps not engaging with her when she is blaming others might be a good strategy.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
guitarguy09

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 07:32:05 AM »

It’s a stressful time for everyone. Perhaps not engaging with her when she is blaming others might be a good strategy.

That's a good idea, thanks. It is a tough time and I'm hopeful things will get better next year.
guitarguy09

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 07:35:45 AM »

On another note, we've had a consistent problem at least the last couple of years where she always accuses me of never listening to her or talking to her even though I honestly try my best when she wants to talk. I listen to her and then try to tell her what I think and I think she just seems to not like what I have to say or dismisses it. I don't think our marriage is going to make it long term but I'm so frustrated with her I'm not sure I care that much.

Any ideas?
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 12:37:22 PM »

Check out this link: https://bpdfamily.com/content/listen-with-empathy and this one: https://bpdfamily.com/content/communication-skills-dont-be-invalidating

You don’t have to agree with her. She just wants to be heard and feel like her opinion is valid. You may feel it’s loony, but all you need to convey is that you understand what she thinks.

Perhaps at some point your communication will be better and she will have a real interest in your opinion.

However at this point, she probably thinks your opinion only serves to cancel hers.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
guitarguy09

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 09:30:38 AM »

Ok thank you! We talked yesterday about the need to talk more on a regular basis (hear her talk). I hope we can accomplish this.
Rev
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced and now happily remarried.

The surest way to fail is to never try.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 09:42:54 AM »

Ok thank you! We talked yesterday about the need to talk more on a regular basis (hear her talk). I hope we can accomplish this.

Yes... Cat has given you great guidance here.   And it is not easy to "be" in such tense circumstances.  And... so maybe focus on being able to accomplish just a little bit of this at a time.  And ... be aware of your internal sense of peace. When you can't feel it, likely it's not coming across.  And when it gets invaded,  like someone putting their hand in the cookie jar, protect it by becoming stoic.

Eventually you'll come to a clearing where how to act will more evident.

Truly - one step at time.

Peace be yours in your heart - for you and through you.

Rev
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest