Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 10:47:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DBT  (Read 389 times)
Fiji Lou
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

DBT
« on: December 06, 2020, 10:20:23 AM »

Hello,
We are considering DBT for our 14 year old. She has been resistant in the past but as of recent has meekly agreed to “try it.” Knowing it’s a big commitment, with a desire for recovery, I don’t know if DBT will work for someone, especially a 14 year old, that is only half willing. Is there anyone how has good/bad experience with a half-willing teen and DBT therapy.

Thanks,
FL
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Swimmy55
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 04:59:36 PM »

Welcome!
 I don't think my son had DBT therapy as a minor ( or ever) .  However, willingness on your child's part is tremendous! I am sure others will chime in who had / have DBT experience with their BPD kids
Thanks for writing in and continue to do so as needed.

beatricex

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 05:07:30 PM »

Hi FijiLou,
I don't know if DBT works personally, but there is some pretty good information here, also webinars, classes and support groups.

https://www.borderlinepersonalitydisorder.org/family-connections/

welcome

b
hanginginthere22

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 03:51:36 PM »

my stepdaughter is 16 and her therapist, my therapist and a couple therapist friends all suggested DBT. i also was doing research on her issues and came across BPD and DBT. because of the pandemic we could not do an in-person DBT course so i found a workbook online called Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Training with Adolescents: A Practical Workbook for Therapists, Teens & Parents. i like it because it has sections for the teen, the parents and the therapist. her thearpist bought the workbook too and we've been slowly going through it with SD16. most of the time i do a couple pages with her. i have her read it out loud to me, ask her to give more examples of things where appropriate, ask her questions, etc. it gives me an opportunity to have dialogue with her about certain issues. sometimes her dad does pages with her, sometimes the 3 of us and sometimes we just let SD16 do some by herself and ask her about it after. we have also had sessions with her therapist where we have discussed some of the skills and i know her therapist works with her on some of them when they have sessions together just the two of them.

i think it is helping her. slowly but surely. i wish that she were retaining more of it and implementing more of it on a regular basis but she is only 16 so maybe i can't expect that. but some of the topics that i think have been especially important for her are: the difference between pain and suffering (that we can't avoid pain but we can change how much we suffer), willingness vs. willfullness (being willing to change or accept or try a new skill vs. having the attitude of "i will always feel this way and nothing will ever work"), getting her more in touch with her body (noticing body sensations due to emotions, using senses to self-soothe), accepting reality, noticing positives, etc. i'm very eager to get into the interpersonal effectiveness section!

good luck to you!
Broken Mama

Relationship status: married

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 09:43:11 PM »

Hello,

My daughter is 19 and has just begun this journey.  she missed the first session but is now on track...providing I remind her, which causes nothing but grief.  It's too soon to tell but I have read that DBT was specifically created for people with BPD.  There is individual therapy as well as group therapy, where they see they are not alone.  I would recommend it. 

We were told about DBT about 3 years ago and didn't really get it.  Wish I had a better understanding of it then, although she had not yet been diagnosed with BPD.  Now she's 19...and am hoping for a good outcome for her.  I can't imagine her life continuing as it is now.

Hope all works out for you.  I would definiately proceed with DBT.  All the best.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest