Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 02:48:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Louisiana Help  (Read 352 times)
jwnowako
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« on: February 09, 2021, 07:24:48 AM »

Hi:  Can anyone recommend a good outpatient treatment program in Louisiana for BPD?  And one that has family counseling?  We need help to understand how to help our BPD college age daughter.  She has recently disappeared, but when she resurfaces, we want to be ready with a plan.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
KBug

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: living together part time

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 09:17:50 AM »

Hi, I'm not from LA and I don't know about any good places near you to seek help.  However, I wanted to welcome you to this group and let you know that you are in the right place.  Reading through the information that the group members have provided is really helpful and I have gained insight into my own life by reading what other people have written about theirs.  You are not alone in this journey.

I hope that a group member can help you find something local.  If not, here's a link to the National Alliance on Mental Health https://nami.org/Home.  This website can help you find local resources.  That being said, I'm really sorry that you and your loved ones are going through this difficult time.  You are really wise to seek out help to prepare yourself and to learn how best to support your daughter when she reappears in your life.  If you haven't read it yet, you might want to read Stop Walking on Eggshells by Paul Mason and Randi Kreger.  The book helps families of people with BPD to understand the disorder and how to support their loved one.

My daughter is college-aged, too.  It's tough watching her struggle with BPD. Sometimes, it's also tough being with her because of her behavior.  I know that she's in pain and I often feel torn between being there for her and protecting myself.  The people in this group are really helpful in helping me to understand what's going on and how to both be supportive of my daughter and protect myself.   I hope that this group can help you find some peace, too.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest