Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 09:07:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I don't have BPD YOU do  (Read 398 times)
Oceanfish

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: estranged

« on: January 03, 2021, 12:19:23 PM »

My daughter was required to be hospitalized for a few days after a public, drunk meltdown. After, she saw a therapist for awhile and contacted me to let me know she felt our relationship put her well being at risk. She stated her therapist believes I have BPD. I was shocked to my core. I contacted a couple of lifelong friends who I continue to be close to to see if they had concerns about my behavior. They did not. I then saw a therapist with expertise in this area to get an evaluation. He also did not see BPD characteristics. As I began reading about the disorder, it does seem that she likely got the diagnosis herself. She meets most of the criteria. I have always been concerned about her mental health, and for good reason. She is also very similar to my mother, who struggled with mental health. If I had known then what I know now, therapy for her would have looked much different. Is it typical to get that diagnosis and then slap it on someone else? (particularly after "splitting")
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
PearlsBefore

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 03:32:51 PM »

Well keep in mind three possibilities...

Firstly the therapist is only hearing HER descriptions of you and if SHE is bpd then she likely projects her own behaviors onto her caretakers...so the therapist might think solely you have BPD by that telling.

Secondly, the therapist might have just tried to make it easier for your daughter to accept her own BPD diagnosis by correctly noting that there is often (not always) a mother-daughter transmission wherein a child has BPD because one of the parents has BPD (or also schizophrenia, or they might be perfectly healthy parents of course).

Thirdly, the therapist might have only told her that it sounds like only she has BPD, but your daughter prefers to project that entirely onto you.

Cast not your pearls before swine, lest they trample them, and turn and rend you. --- I live in libraries; if you find an academic article online that you can't access but might help you - send me a Private Message.
beatricex

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 03:40:07 PM »

hi oceanfish,

Yes, someone anonymously  mailed me a book about BPD about 25 years ago.

I read it and it helped me understand that was my mom!

The only thing a therapist ever labelled me with (and i continually asked if they thought i was borderline after receiving the book) was "adjustment disorder."

At the time that was probably necesary for insurance purposes, and medical coding.

b
Resiliant

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married. With adult child relationship can be described as loving. Cloudy with sunny breaks. High wind warning. Risk of thunderstorms but much less severe than previous. Long term forecast shows promise of sunnier days ahead

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 01:30:07 PM »

Hi Oceanfish,

It makes total sense to me that your daughter would come home with that.   It's awesome that you went out and got evaluated, confided in and asked friends etc.   At this stage I would simply recognize the projection.   Even if your daughter went as far as to ask the therapist if he thinks you have BPD and his response was "I don't know but it is possible" that could be enough for her to interpret it according to her projections.

My son is as honest as the day is long, but he still has projections, distorted memories and the like.

I got thinking that this could be a real opportunity for you.  If you think she would be receptive then you could tell her that based on what she said you are researching BPD to learn more about it and would she like to watch a Marsha Linehan video with you etc.   Of course, you would have to choose those very carefully and it may lead to more accusations so you have to be prepared for more tough stuff.   Hopefully it could plant a seed in her head without you saying anything where she realizes she has some issues to work on and she will be receptive to therapy. 

Just an idea - maybe someone else could weigh in on this because sometimes my ideas backfire!

R

“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.”

― Charles R. Swindoll
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest