Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 06:05:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
VIDEO: "What is parental alienation?" Parental alienation is when a parent allows a child to participate or hear them degrade the other parent. This is not uncommon in divorces and the children often adjust. In severe cases, however, it can be devastating to the child. This video provides a helpful overview.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I cracking up?  (Read 382 times)
dustyandbiscuit

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Married but separated

« on: May 05, 2021, 07:23:48 AM »

I appreciate that everyone's time is precious so I'm going to try and be as concise as possible.

My wife (suspected BPD) and I decided to separate in December 2021, but have since barely moved forward in the separation/divorce process much due to the UK being plunged into lockdown from 4th Jan. We have two children, one 14 (not mine biologically) and one 4yo.

The moment schools opened up in March, I started the conversation with my wife regarding moving the separation forward and was told that any attempt at mediation was for my benefit and not hers because she has no job. I was able to address this by saying it's for everyone's benefit.

I had my initial mediation appointment on 22nd March, and my wife's invitation came the day after. Since then, they have sent her infomation to be assessed for legal aid. It's been 6 weeks and nothing has happened.

My quesitons are as below:
- is it all in my head that I'm worried she will weaponise the children as a means of holding onto the house?
- am I being controlling checking her social media?
- am I right to be concerned she could call me abusive (I absolutely haven't) as a means to kick me out of the house?

I honestly cannot tell how much of my anxiety is manufactured by my own fears and how much is actually a reality. I have seen my wife engage with discussions around coercive control and I'm extremely worried she could accuse me of this - we moved away from her home town when we had our child so I could be a more supportive father and get home from work sooner, I have seen her hint that I cut her off from her support network by us moving here (we're 14 miles away, I gave her a car to drive, I've never stopped her from speaking to her family).

Any help would be hugely appreciated!  Thank you.
worriedStepmom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 10:11:50 AM »

Some people with BPD do weaponize their children and use false allegations of abuse to get their way.  Sometimes they may actually believe these things to be true (they feel bad around you, therefore it must be your fault they feel bad, therefore you are abusive).

Some don't do that.

My stepdaughter was 4 when my H and I started dating.  Her uBPD mom tried to influence SD to dislike me and be mad at H.  We used lots and lots of validation with SD. "How did you feel when mom said X?"  "Wow, I can see why you or mom would be upset if that were true."  "What do you think about what mom said?"

If you and your W are still living together, this should be easy for you to start implementing now.  Doesn't have to be just about what mom says/does, either - the more you validate your kids, the more likely they are to see you as a safe person.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 06:33:04 PM »

It looks like from your previous posts that she is gaslighting you ... you feel x then check with her to see if it's accurate, and she says no, it's y.

No wonder you feel upside down.

She seems to be high on impulsivity, and the self-harm and suicidal ideation is worrying.

When you aren't sure what's real, it's understandable that you're checking her social media accounts. There's probably no point in confronting her because she isn't likely to admit to bad behavior ...

What is S14 and S4's relationship like with her? With you?

Is the father of S14 in his life?

Has your wife weaponized the kids against you previously?

It may work slightly different where you live than here in the US. Once you meet with a mediator, what happens next?

As for her calling you abusive, or weaponizing the kids, or doing anything that undermines  security, stability, safety ... I would prepare for the worst and hope for the best while taking excellent care of yourself. From what you have shared here, she is more likely to experience suicidal ideation, risky behaviors, and self harm than other BPD tendencies, although you know her best. If she has already shown signs of weaponizing the kids, or has made threats about false allegations of abuse, those are red flags worth paying attention to. However, just because she is susceptible to these behaviors doesn't mean they will happen. It just means if you have felt tremors and live in earthquake terrain it's worth beefing up your insurance policy to cover structural damage  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

This is a good site with lots of collective wisdom about navigating these emotionally charged exits. The skills are not intuitive and must be learned, and are useful whether you stay together or decide to end things.

Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Hang in there. There are lots of people here who understand what you're going through and are willing to walk alongside you.

Breathe.
dustyandbiscuit

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 07:59:52 AM »

I guess maybe my use of the word 'weaponising' might be out of line with how others make sense of it on here... I was thinking moreover that she uses them as a means of gaining control and not having to take any responsibilty in the separation (she claims to be the main caregiver and therefore has rights to stay in the marital home until our youngest turns 18, leaving me with nothing). While I'm hopeful that through mediation we can agree to split the child care arrangements and I can get assurances that they will be properly looked after under her sole supervision, I am preparing for the defensive 'you're calling me a terrible mother' reaction to surface (as it has done many times already.

Our relationship with our children is good, both have a close connection to us albeit our 14yo is far more aware of her behaviours and has learned to navigate around them at certain times (one example being him coming to me when his phone broke as he was expecting mother to be angry with him). When it comes to 'actual' parenting, I am taking on the vast majority of responsibilty (80% or more) - engaging with the schools, doctors, dentist, homework, cooking, maintaining basic hygiene etc.

I feel I'm in a constant state of questioning my own behaviour as a result of her reactions to reasonable challenges, asking 'could this be flipped on its head an I'm made out to be the abusive, emotional one'? Before we separated last year I had bought wife a computer as she had told me that she really wanted to be a gamer/streamer and it was a real chance of her making some money while having the flexibility to take on parental responsibilities while I was at work - this quickly turned into her spending so much of her time on there and ignoring everything around her. I had to step in when 14yo said he was feeling ignored, to which I was told 'I don't appreciate you using my kids against me, I think you put the idea in his head that he feels ignored'. I am grateful I had written to her explaining in detail that I am not saying she cannot spend time doing things she enjoys, but asked that some boundaries were set so that other responsibilities weren't being neglected.

I'm also feeling really conflicted over hoping for an amicable discussion regarding the childcare arrangements (we go 50/50), but looking hypocrytical if she decides to use her position (in claiming to be the main caregiver) as a means of 'winning' and me then being forced to prove that she isn't fit to parent the children (through providing evidence of taking no initiative with pushing for doctors appointments, cleaning up cat poo from our son's bedroom floor etc).

Mediation feels like my only hope of a 'collaborative' divorce - it's my intention to agree on how we split the finances, child support and the property.  If we cannot agree through mediation, then we have to battle it out in court.

I have been keeping a log of literally everything, all the subtle remarks and justifications for her bad behaviour, the times she gets out of bed (usually post midday after I've done the school run and started work from home), all the times I clean up cat poo, make sure our children have clean bedding etc. Again, I question whether in doing so I am being controlling, but recognise that this is for my protection rather than to beat her over the head with at a later date.
dustyandbiscuit

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 10:35:55 AM »

So sorry... I neglected to even say thank you for responding. So thank you!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest