Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 01:56:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current struggles  (Read 1454 times)
UBPDHelp

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: May 02, 2021, 10:05:57 PM »

Hello all.  You all have been so helpful in my journey.

I’ve had one online therapy session but not sure it was a good fit. I have a couple more therapists scheduled so hopeful.

I’ve also almost made a final decision on a lawyer. My goal is end of month to have one formally retained.

Current struggles...

I’ve accepted that I have lived mostly a lie for 25 years. Most I didn’t know was a lie.  As the tides turned and the tipping point tipped, it has become more and more apparent that none of it was real for UBPDh. I certainly was living as if it were.

I’ve come to terms with this globally. I’ve accepted that it is not within my power to fix or in any way correct H. Not my job, couldn’t even if it were.

So the struggle is coming to terms with how I couldn’t see this.  How I allowed myself to be treated this way...for soo long. How could I write off bad behavior and in little ways excuse it or turn the other cheek?

I’m not struggling with knowing I need to leave or accepting who he is. I’m having much more difficulty dealing with who I am.

Did I really not see it?  Why did I give up so much — family, friends, career?  When these things were happening they seemed minor things but they persisted for years and now I have no one. Not one person who would help me if I needed help. What kind of person am I that this is where I am?

I want to blame him but who am I that I couldn’t, or wouldn’t see it?

This is my first struggle. Anyone else go through this?  Thoughts?

My second struggle is more simply said.  I can’t get over the hurdle of starting the divorce. I just know I’m opening years of anguish. Literally there is nowhere to go. Houses around here are renting for 5k+ month, all houses for sale are going to bidding wars (not that I can buy now). So I start and then we fight for 2 years...with nowhere to go.

Any ideas how to overcome the fear?  It’s not like I can just go.  I might be able to make him go...but how angry if I try but don’t succeed. Any recommendations?
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 10:34:26 PM »

Hey ubpdhelp, welcome back  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

Glad you're feeling empowered and vetting therapists. When you finally get one that's a good fit, it's a real gift. It'll happen... give it time.

Excerpt

This is my first struggle. Anyone else go through this?  Thoughts?

Your question reminds me of when I was younger (early 20's) and had a sort of friends with benefits relationship with a housemate. Looking back, awkward! But when you're in your 20's, well...

Anyway, we never really talked about it at first. Just kind of were both lonely, and it was convenient, etc. We tried talking about it later, but that didn't change our behaviors -- lots of non-communication, not defining our relationship or making anything official or explicit.

Looking back, I was able to understand what I was doing better when I asked myself:

What was I getting out of that?

There must have been something about that setup that worked for me... that gave me something. Something important enough that we kept it going for quite some time.

So, if I were in your shoes today, yeah, there's the question of "what did I see/what did I not see", and also, the question -- what do you think you were getting out of that life setup? What did it do for you?

For me, the answers were uncomfortable -- I was afraid of rejection, so as long as we weren't "in a relationship", I couldn't be rejected. I was lonely and I was hurting from a previous breakup. Waiting on pins and needles every weekend to see "will we hook up or not" without making any healthy or explicit communication about it... it distracted me, big time. I could focus on those feelings, focus all my energy on "when will he be home, what's he up to, him him him" instead of feeling older, more painful feelings.

So it's a question you could consider asking yourself.

all the best;

kells76
babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 04:55:03 AM »

So the struggle is coming to terms with how I couldn’t see this.  How I allowed myself to be treated this way...for soo long. How could I write off bad behavior and in little ways excuse it or turn the other cheek?

This is the way it worked for me.     

Not all of my relationship was bad.    Some of it was wonderful.   What was true for me was the 'bad' parts fit my world view like a glove in many ways.   So many ways I couldn't see the forest through the trees so to speak.

Broadly speaking.   Very Broadly Speaking.     So Broadly Speaking its almost not helpful, there are several categories of people who end up with the disordered.

Narcissists tend to partner with pwBPD.   a Narcissist gets the need for adulation met when the pwBPD is in the idealization phase.   and a Narcissist gets to be the 'better' person in the relationship when the BPD acts out.

CoDependents.   someone with an excessive emotional or psychological reliance on a partner, typically one who requires support on account of an illness or addiction.  CoDependents find the neediness of the BPD addictive.

Emotional Caretakers.   Some one who has trouble knowing what limits are.   Some one with low self esteem.   Some one who routinely ignores their own needs and beliefs.   Bullet: completed (click to insert in post)

Depressives or some one with Dysthymic disorder Bullet: completed (click to insert in post)   Persistent feeling of low mood, worthlessness, hopelessness and lack of motivation.

These characteristics might not reach the diagnostic stage.   Or they might.

I tend to fall in the categories of an Emotional Caretaker and Depressive.     Margalis Fjelstad describes Emotional Caretaker in her book.   And then she put my picture next to the definition.    Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)      I spent my childhood with my grandparents, to escape a mentally ill mother and to be a 'helper' to my grandparents because they were experiencing health issues.   So literally from a very young age I was trained to look out for, caretake, and put someone else's needs first.     It was my job.    and its automatic for me.     when my need to caretake ran into a person who had a need to be taken care of... we ran to all sorts of extremes.   we both doubled down on what we thought was normal.   until it clearly became abnormal.

and I am depressive.   my depression fit wonderfully with my ExpwBPD's mania.    Her mania got me up and moving and trying new things which I won't typically do without some type of outside encouragement.    Her emotional swings were so intense they could actually lift me out of my depression.    it was almost better than prozac there for a while.  (joking)    I think about 60% of members here are depressed in some way.   

The thing I found to be true is that the extreme behaviors that existed in my relationship brought all of this into high relief.    but that it took some time to see it because all of this was just so normal and ordinary for me.   I assumed that everyone felt this way and they just didn't talk about it.    these are deeply engrained life long patterns for me, that normally cause no significant problems.   they are part of me like brown eyes and gray hair.   I didn't have the language to describe a lot of what was going on.  When I read  Fjelstad's question of: are you overly empathetic, self-sacrificing, generous, perfectionistic, deferential, more willing to put other's needs before your own, and uncomfortable with conflict?   very faintly little tiny bells rang off in the distance.

I think we all have combinations of where we fall on the spectrum and why that lines up with our people with PD's.      after all each of us is unique.   and I think after spending time with a disordered person we are all hyper sensitive to any label that suggest we are defective or bad or not functioning perfectly ourselves.   Its a real wrestling match to identify our patterns without labeling ourselves as defective.

my two cents.

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
UBPDHelp

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 09:04:34 PM »

Hey ubpdhelp, welcome back  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

Glad you're feeling empowered and vetting therapists. When you finally get one that's a good fit, it's a real gift. It'll happen... give it time.

Your question reminds me of when I was younger (early 20's) and had a sort of friends with benefits relationship with a housemate. Looking back, awkward! But when you're in your 20's, well...

Anyway, we never really talked about it at first. Just kind of were both lonely, and it was convenient, etc. We tried talking about it later, but that didn't change our behaviors -- lots of non-communication, not defining our relationship or making anything official or explicit.

Looking back, I was able to understand what I was doing better when I asked myself:

What was I getting out of that?

There must have been something about that setup that worked for me... that gave me something. Something important enough that we kept it going for quite some time.

So, if I were in your shoes today, yeah, there's the question of "what did I see/what did I not see", and also, the question -- what do you think you were getting out of that life setup? What did it do for you?

For me, the answers were uncomfortable -- I was afraid of rejection, so as long as we weren't "in a relationship", I couldn't be rejected. I was lonely and I was hurting from a previous breakup. Waiting on pins and needles every weekend to see "will we hook up or not" without making any healthy or explicit communication about it... it distracted me, big time. I could focus on those feelings, focus all my energy on "when will he be home, what's he up to, him him him" instead of feeling older, more painful feelings.

So it's a question you could consider asking yourself.

all the best;

kells76

Hi Kells...that all makes sense.  I’ve been pondering all of this as I’m bouncing around empowerment and feelings of defeat.

At a basic level I thought I was doing right by my family and that my H’s more worldly view was in my best interest.  It never occurred to me that his “support” was not genuine. I thought it was a partnership and I trusted him. He was making me more and more dependent on him, skewing my view of how family treated me or friends. Told me multiple times I had none. But, “Jane is not your friend, if she were she would have ______,you should be careful or she’ll take advantage of you”.  When in reality it was just planting a lot of doubt. But I trusted him. I believed I was naive (I grew up in the Midwest, he was from the big city) and he was showing me how the world worked.

I thought we were in this together. I thought we were a team. Until we weren’t. But truthfully the red flags were probably there for a lot longer than I realized.

Thanks kells!
UBPDHelp

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 09:28:59 PM »

This is the way it worked for me.     

Not all of my relationship was bad.    Some of it was wonderful.   What was true for me was the 'bad' parts fit my world view like a glove in many ways.   So many ways I couldn't see the forest through the trees so to speak.

I was lost in that darn forest for so long.

Excerpt
Broadly speaking.   Very Broadly Speaking.     So Broadly Speaking its almost not helpful, there are several categories of people who end up with the disordered.

Narcissists tend to partner with pwBPD.   a Narcissist gets the need for adulation met when the pwBPD is in the idealization phase.   and a Narcissist gets to be the 'better' person in the relationship when the BPD acts out.

CoDependents.   someone with an excessive emotional or psychological reliance on a partner, typically one who requires support on account of an illness or addiction.  CoDependents find the neediness of the BPD addictive.

Emotional Caretakers.   Some one who has trouble knowing what limits are.   Some one with low self esteem.   Some one who routinely ignores their own needs and beliefs.   Bullet: completed (click to insert in post)

Depressives or some one with Dysthymic disorder Bullet: completed (click to insert in post)   Persistent feeling of low mood, worthlessness, hopelessness and lack of motivation.

These characteristics might not reach the diagnostic stage.   Or they might.

I know this is broad.  I believe my H is primarily NPD, with a splash of BPD.  Does he attract himself?  That’s the NPD in him.

I have trouble feeling co-dependent (maybe I don’t like the way it sounds).

I suspect by the above I would be considered an emotional caretaker. I believe I have always been. In most cases, I don’t think it’s so horrible (or is it?) IF the recipient doesn’t take advantage.

I think back to a conversation that was relayed to me by my H.  When he first came to visit my family he was talking to my mom and she mentioned that I helped with my ex-bf’s (the one husband kind of knew) brother who had a terminal illness. She told H that she always thought I would be a nurse because I liked to take care of people.

She past away a short time later, which didn’t impact one way or another the conversation.  But in the last year or so I’ve wondered if that was a starting point or confirmation that I might be pliable.

My moms death I think made me cling to familiar and H was familiar and like you said, you get used to what you know. But mostly things weren’t bad in the beginning. They progressed. And progressed.

I don’t know that I’m depressive. I really do start 95% of my days in a good mood. Sure, a little depressed at my current situation but I can separate that as current situation vs where I’m going.

Can someone be just a caretaker and be that for 25 years?

Excerpt
I tend to fall in the categories of an Emotional Caretaker and Depressive.     Margalis Fjelstad describes Emotional Caretaker in her book.   And then she put my picture next to the definition.    Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)   
I spent my childhood with my grandparents, to escape a mentally ill mother and to be a 'helper' to my grandparents because they were experiencing health issues.   So literally from a very young age I was trained to look out for, caretake, and put someone else's needs first.     It was my job.    and its automatic for me.     when my need to caretake ran into a person who had a need to be taken care of... we ran to all sorts of extremes.   we both doubled down on what we thought was normal.   until it clearly became abnormal.

and I am depressive.   my depression fit wonderfully with my ExpwBPD's mania.    Her mania got me up and moving and trying new things which I won't typically do without some type of outside encouragement.    Her emotional swings were so intense they could actually lift me out of my depression.    it was almost better than prozac there for a while.  (joking)    I think about 60% of members here are depressed in some way.   

The thing I found to be true is that the extreme behaviors that existed in my relationship brought all of this into high relief.    but that it took some time to see it because all of this was just so normal and ordinary for me.   I assumed that everyone felt this way and they just didn't talk about it.    these are deeply engrained life long patterns for me, that normally cause no significant problems.   they are part of me like brown eyes and gray hair.   I didn't have the language to describe a lot of what was going on.  When I read  Fjelstad's question of: are you overly empathetic, self-sacrificing, generous, perfectionistic, deferential, more willing to put other's needs before your own, and uncomfortable with conflict?   very faintly little tiny bells rang off in the distance.

I think we all have combinations of where we fall on the spectrum and why that lines up with our people with PD's.      after all each of us is unique.   and I think after spending time with a disordered person we are all hyper sensitive to any label that suggest we are defective or bad or not functioning perfectly ourselves.   Its a real wrestling match to identify our patterns without labeling ourselves as defective.

my two cents.

'ducks

Thanks ‘ducks. You sharing your stories is helpful in so many ways. I’m sorry you’ve been through so much, for so long. You really seem to have a handle on where you are now.

I have to remind myself we all live somewhere on the spectrum. I do see right/wrong, good/bad — but in a very big way.  Mostly around treating people with kindness, doing no harm.  But then it leaves me with thinking H is wrong.

That said, I’ve reached a point I don’t need to prove or persuade or convince. We can just see things differently and I can choose what’s right for me.

Thanks ‘ducks!

babyducks

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 04:50:32 AM »

I know this is broad.  I believe my H is primarily NPD, with a splash of BPD.  Does he attract himself?  That’s the NPD in him.

Oh I think you are 100% correct.   I think your husband is primarily NPD also.  Keep in mind that there aren't firm fixed dividing lines between any of the characteristics we are discussing.    These are loose categories.    And that NPD and BPD are so close, over lap so much that its difficult for professionals to tell them apart.    Painting with broad strokes again,   both NPD and BPD present in very similar ways.   For an NPD or BPD the world view is 'you need to take care of me perfectly, love me exactly the way I need, be exactly what I want'.     For a pwBPD that springs from having an instable sense of self - "I don't know what I am or who I am so you need to love me perfectly to make me better. "   For a pwNPD that springs from having a fractured sense of self - "I can't be anything but perfect, if things aren't perfect clearly you made them that way".

I suspect by the above I would be considered an emotional caretaker. I believe I have always been. In most cases, I don’t think it’s so horrible (or is it?) IF the recipient doesn’t take advantage.

I don't think its horrible at all.    Some of us are depressive, some of us somewhere else on the spectrum.     Some of us can play the piano, some of us can't, some are good at math, some are great at baseball.    Its a combination of characteristics and what we choose to do with them.   Being great at baseball doesn't make you better/worse than the person who can play the piano.

She told H that she always thought I would be a nurse because I liked to take care of people.

Liking to take care of people is part of being an emotional caretaker.    Especially if we put other people's needs, wants or thoughts ahead of our own.   

I don’t know that I’m depressive. I really do start 95% of my days in a good mood. Sure, a little depressed at my current situation but I can separate that as current situation vs where I’m going.

Depression can often manifest in other ways than a feeling of sad or low mood.  A chronic low grade depression can present as no motivation, difficulty making decisions, difficulty focusing on yourself or taking care of yourself, low self esteem and paradoxically - being hyper busy, while having low energy most days.     I'm not disagreeing with you.    I am saying that depression is not sadness.

Can someone be just a caretaker and be that for 25 years?

Sure.    of course.     what I learned when I went to stay with my grandparents was that to be in a stable and secure relationship you had to take care of people.    That was the unstated message but that is how I learned relationships work.   I never questioned that message.   I tend to be wired to be a fixer and a helper and I seriously doubt that will go away.    I doubt I want it to go away.   I am much more aware now that I need mature and reasonable limits around fixing and helping.     

I have to remind myself we all live somewhere on the spectrum. I do see right/wrong, good/bad — but in a very big way.  Mostly around treating people with kindness, doing no harm.  But then it leaves me with thinking H is wrong.

I think when we all first arrive here we have been hit over the head with "you're wrong" "you didn't do that right"... that we are a little preoccupied with right/wrong, good/bad.    after all we have been stuck in a needs entitlement war that's been all about who is right, who is wrong, who is good/bad, who deserves more/less, who is better, who is worse.

what I think is that we need to really pay attention to the words we use to describe things.    some one smarter than me said "Words Create Worlds".   How we describe things creates how we experience/feel about things.     Think about your H being wrong.     Now think about your H being disordered.    Pay attention to how YOU feel as the description changes.   The word 'wrong' leads you down a certain path of thinking/feeling.    The word 'disordered' leads you down a different path.    This isn't about describing him accurately.    This is about creating flexible thinking for you... in your head... to allow for gentle problem solving.

'ducks

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 08:24:01 AM »

Hey...I'm so pleased that you are moving forward.  Especially that you are trying to connect with a T.  I would encourage you to keep your focus on finding a good fit with a T, since that help you sort out your values/feelings on the rest of the issues.

I simply can't imagine my life without my current T (PhD level psychologist).

One of the places were are similar is "shock" that we didn't "see it" earlier.

In my case I realized that I invalidated my wife for several years and made things far far worse.  From time to time I still carry guilt over that.

One of the things my T helps me with is to not beat yourself up over ignorance.  I simply didn't know that...didn't have experience with that...completely foreign to me how "the truth" could be hurtful (especially when "the truth" was you have a faithful husband)

Once you know better...do better, then let the past stay in the past.  (and yes...it sounds much simpler than it is)

Switching gears:  Try this on for size.  (it is/was true in my case).  I didn't trust myself for a long time after I "saw" the stuff I had missed/done. 

The basic thought process was that if I was ignorant and made  a mess of things "back then"...who is to say that I'm not ignorant now?  If you don't trust yourself...trust and confidence are kissing cousins, so it seems reasonable that you would be worried about "where to go".

Last:   I'm going to be in agreement with others that there is a big NPD streak in your hubby. 

The challenge/opportunity is how to use that to your advantage..to the advantage of your family.

Any thoughts there?

Best,

FF

Gemsforeyes

Relationship status: Ended 2/2020

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 02:21:23 PM »

Dear UBPDHelp-

I’m glad you’ve come back.  Like your other friends here, and you, I also believe your H’s weaknesses and cruelty are centered in NPD traits.  In behaviors he likely will sadly NEVER take responsibility for.  I’m so sorry for what you and your children have endured.  I endured much of the same in a 19-year marriage and then in my most recent 6.5 year relationship.  That’s the one that led me here.

My friend-  so many of the things your H has said to you, my exNPD/BPDbf said to me, all in his effort to keep me off balance, feeling “less than”, and to isolate me from anyone and everyone who he thought would strengthen me or encourage me to get out.  It truly IS so sad and almost predictable (now that I understand what goes on with pwNPD).

When I found this incredible site in 2017 and began to learn about BPD (desperately poured myself into it) and looked at the traits and the behaviors of my now ex NPD/BPDbf, there was something that wasn’t quite fitting.  I couldn’t understand what I was missing. 

And then finally in 2019, somewhere on this site, a poster mentioned NPD and a T named Dr. Ramani and her You Tube videos.  BOOM!  Watching those felt like I literally found air to breathe.  My feelings about my exBF AND myself changed almost overnight. 

I was no longer *afraid* of his RAGE or the belittling he would throw at me.  I stopped having bottomless compassion for him, and started having a bit of that feeling for myself.  That was necessary... I was the one being abused.  He wasn’t.

Those videos helped me see who and what he REALLY is.  I NEEDED to see that.  I now see him as *weak* rather than “frail”... and *PATHETIC* rather than “pitiful”.  And a person who doesn’t deserve or receive any more chances.  At least not from me.  He’s taken enough.  When you look very closely, a pwNPD takes way more than any partner should have to give.  But then you already know that.

His last RAGE, which took place because I asked 1) did you feed the dog?  2). Did you give the dog her meds?... was his LAST rage toward me.  I had decided ahead of time.

So UBPDHelp... please do yourself the honor of watching Dr. Ramani’s videos... for YOU.  Google “Dr. Ramani Narcissism”.  And watch the videos where she’s alone, not with the guy.  Each video is about 10-15 minutes and it doesn’t matter what order you watch them in.  They’ll give you knowledge, strength and understanding.  Of him for sure... and THEN you’ll better understand yourself.

Finally, I believe maybe it’s best not to question yourself for now.  I don’t think you need to figure out if you’re on a “spectrum” of any sort.  If you can, Please try to be easy on yourself, have some of the compassion for you that you clearly have for others.  You’ll go through your stages and your “whys” later.  And the best you’ll do is forgive yourself FOR yourself...

Sometimes, for years at a time, we just put our heads down and do what we believe we need to do.  That’s what we knew in those moments, in that time.  And then we see something else.  You’ve seen something else.  The feelings that matter now are yours and your kids.  The man is a grown up.  Leave him to his own, whatever that may be.

Please watch Dr. Ramani.

Warmly,
Gems
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 04:48:23 PM »

I’m having much more difficulty dealing with who I am

What kind of person am I that this is where I am?

It kinda seems like you're punching down on yourself ... doesn't your H already do that?  Frustrated/Unfortunate (click to insert in post)

Being kind to yourself when you've been surrounded by anything but can feel terrifying. Recognizing that you are lovable, even if the first person to love you is you, can feel terribly painful.

Accepting that you are worthy can be one of the hardest things you do in life.

Sometimes it is less painful to believe you are less than, and if you have disordered people in your lives, you may be more susceptible to buying what they're selling.

The miracle happening is that you want something better for yourself. You believe there is something better than this. That's you, learning to care about yourself even if it feels strange.

Listen to that part of you! She ready  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Any ideas how to overcome the fear?  It’s not like I can just go.  I might be able to make him go...but how angry if I try but don’t succeed. Any recommendations?

It's hard when the reality piece is so financially punishing.

One small step at a time, exactly what you're doing. Taking a therapist for a test-drive, talking to lawyers. Sharing here.

It's already impressive how much you've done to show how important you are to yourself.

Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Breathe.
worriedStepmom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 05:22:42 PM »

My mantra was one of the things formflier mentioned - I did the best I could with the knowledge I had.  Now that I know more, I can do better.

It's not fair to judge yourself based on what you know now.  Maybe you *should* have known better, but you didn't.  *Now* you know better, and you are taking steps to do better.  Getting a therapist.  Interviewing lawyers.  Looking for housing options.

Part of your therapy is going to be learning to forgive yourself and to stop blaming yourself for things that aren't necessarily your fault.  There's a lot of conditioning/emotional abuse you're going to have to unlearn.  I'm really excited for you that you are starting that journey.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 05:48:20 PM »

There's a lot of conditioning/emotional abuse you're going to have to unlearn. 

EXACTLY!

And this is not a self help project. 

Consistent work with a T that you trust is the only method that I would trust.

Best,

FF

PeteWitsend

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 06:28:18 PM »

I’m not struggling with knowing I need to leave or accepting who he is. I’m having much more difficulty dealing with who I am.

Did I really not see it?  Why did I give up so much — family, friends, career?  When these things were happening they seemed minor things but they persisted for years and now I have no one. Not one person who would help me if I needed help. What kind of person am I that this is where I am?

I'd echo the comments from worriedstepmom and FormFlier... don't beat yourself up.

BPD is insidious to begin with, and many of us who ended up in long term relationships with BPDers had some personality traits - typically positive ones - that they took advantage of in order to rope us in.  Our societal knowledge of BPD and other personality disorders is still developing, so it's not like the typical adult can recognize the signs of it ahead of time and understand what they're getting into.

My second struggle is more simply said.  I can’t get over the hurdle of starting the divorce. I just know I’m opening years of anguish. Literally there is nowhere to go. Houses around here are renting for 5k+ month, all houses for sale are going to bidding wars (not that I can buy now). So I start and then we fight for 2 years...with nowhere to go.

You may have to relocate to an area with a lower cost of living; if you're not willing to do that, then I think you need stop thinking about leaving and start learning to cope with living with your H for possibly the rest of your life. 

Divorce isn't easy, especially with children involved.  You have to be willing to make some sacrifices & let go of a lot in order to take that leap.
yeeter

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 06:04:58 AM »

Sure, I would say we have all been through it.  The fact that you gave up too much of yourself to maintain the relationship is a lesson.  Read 'The Black Hole Analogy' https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=319029.0

Its common, so dont think you are alone.

And dont own any more of the problems than is fair to you.  Own your own stuff, but dont own other peoples bad behavior because 'you didnt see it'.  The very nature of your focus on 'you', and what 'you did wrong'.  Or didnt do.  Speaks to your own tendency to try to take too much of the responsibility on yourself.  I would bet there are many things where you compromised and gave up for the sake of the relationship, but did not get the same reciprocity.    Which means work is needed on setting boundaries and enforcing those boundaries to 'take care of yourself' .  Something required even if in a relationship.  But that doesnt mean you need to feel bad about your own 'good' behavior that wasnt rewarded in return.

Why didnt you see all those things?  Doesnt really matter.  As a friend once told me: 

"Life is a series of lessons... if you dont learn that lesson the first time, dont worry, you will get that lesson again..."

So focus on the hear and now.  Once that is stable you can start thinking about the future path, which will include reflection on your past habits and learning and growing so you dont have to repeat the same lessons.

Give yourself time with a T.  It is a process.  I heard a comment once that to recover from a relationship takes 1 year for every 5 you were together.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2021, 12:11:57 PM »

There's also a bit of unraveling that happens when you work with a therapist to answer these questions.

You start to see how family of origin things imprinted on you in childhood, and how that conditioned who you were attracted to and then what you tolerated in adult relationships. 

I've had to learn that guilt can not be a guiding emotion for me because it was grossly distorted in childhood. I had a pathologic sibling who was violent but if I asked for help and he got in trouble because I told someone about it, I felt crippling guilt. My worth was inextricably tied to being stronger than the person abusing me. Stronger meant enduring it.

You may learn through therapy that there is a story you tell yourself, and it's tied to something (tolerating abuse) that no longer works for you.

Breathe.
Gemmie

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2021, 06:05:33 PM »

Hello, hello!  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Wow, my love! We are KINDRED SPIRITS! I just joined this board a month or two ago and guess what?

I'm in 25 years, too! The last time he flipped out, cussed me out - and proceeded to cut off his wedding band (which magically reappeared fixed/on his finger days later) - "Broke me" - or perhaps I should say "AWOKE ME."

I literally felt like I snapped awake from a 25 year long coma! I was like - OMG! I Actually DON'T CARE that the did that. Matter of fact - I'm GRATEFUL! HE JUST SET ME FREE! OMG! I don't have to be "the bad guy" by leaving (or by staying, for that matter)!

Then - all the exact same questions your rolling around with - appeared to me, too. Where the hell have "I" been for the last 25 years? How did I allow myself to become a paranoid, shell of a being who existed only to keep peripheral eyes on him, peripheral ears on him (wherever he was in the house, to guage his moods), watch and edit everything I said, and after I WAS VICIOUSLY ATTACKED WITH "Eff you, you think you're so smart, you don't know a damn thing," etc. I would cry in fear that HE WAS GONNA LEAVE ME!

OMG!  (Yes, as a matter of fact, I AM about to complete my Ph.D. in June!) So, yeah, I AM smart. BUT - I let this happen to myself and make excuses! So I was self-blaming!

I, too, struggled with moving away from him physically. I have never lived alone before. Ever - not even an apartment.

So - I literally wrangled up every single resource I could, and I'm in the process of getting my own little townhouse. It was either "throw my money away in over priced rent" - or at least "throw it into EQUITY of property!"

I get that, too. But - if you don't have resources to buy - look into an apartment if you must. Check with friends, family, can you crash with them for a bit while ya look for options. Many places also have subsidized/rent controlled placed for those of us with income challenges. Sure, it won't be your "dream home" - but that's okay - it's only TEMPORARY!

You need to physically detach so you can work to refind and reclaim YOURSELF. Your life was given - individually and uniquely to YOU, exclusively! (It was Not given to him!) So - this is yours and all right of it is yours!

Sorry if I'm rambling, but I'm just so awe-struck at how SIMILAR our situations are!

In order to keep him as calm as possible, I have told him that I need space and that OUR ONLY HOPE OF POSSIBLY CONTINUING OUR MARRIAGE is that I have to leave on a "TRIAL SEPARATION." (He, of course is back to "honeymooning," love bombing, and promising the world, he'll never do it again - 25 years would say otherwise.)

I do feel a little guilty because he (although he is begging me to try to "heal" while we do some kind of "in house separation - I'm not even interested in that, and don't believe it's possible) believes that I'm merely "renting" a place for a year. He does not, yet, know that I'm getting a house. I figure I'll cross that bridge, ya know.

For now, it's just about getting out, and getting out safely.

So - just like everyone else has shared: big hugs to you! I'm sorry for your lost time - but YOU STILL HAVE THE REST OF IT, TO MAKE THE BEST OF IT. You deserve it!

Read, do research, watch the videos, educate yourself! Get support (a therapist is the best thing you can do to help you process the 25 year brainwashing you've undergone), and remember - your live was given to YOU - to live it how you want, doing and chasing whatever you feel - it was NOT given to him.

Stay strong - the pain WILL resolve, become managable, and distant! Survival IS POSSIBLE. The long-timers here can attest to that!

Keep posting, too, k? 

Good luck and know that your kindred spirit, Gem, is holding your hand!  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)
I Am Redeemed
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2021, 08:15:57 PM »

One thing I found that was true for me is that I place a very high value on loyalty. I don't believe in giving up on people I love, even if they turn out to have serious issues.

I also had a very poor skillset when it comes to setting boundaries, and, as LnL said, it stemmed from FOO dynamics that I uncovered in therapy.

I operated with the assumption that my ex didn't want to be the way he was, but he just needed help to figure out what his issues were so he could heal.

I couldn't imagine that anyone would really want to continue causing harm to those who loved him, and I thought love would heal him...or at least motivate him to want to be a better man (like Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets).

I also clung on because I didn't have a close relationship with my family and I was terrified of being completely alone.

It took me a while to realize that his ship was going down and he didn't care if he pulled me and the kids down with him as long as he could avoid being honest with himself.

There are many reasons why perfectly loving, intelligent, capable, caring people get wrapped up in long term abusive relationships. Give yourself grace...you're in good company here.

We are more than just our stories.
UBPDHelp

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2021, 09:20:46 AM »

Oh I think you are 100% correct.   I think your husband is primarily NPD also.  Keep in mind that there aren't firm fixed dividing lines between any of the characteristics we are discussing.    These are loose categories.    And that NPD and BPD are so close, over lap so much that its difficult for professionals to tell them apart.    Painting with broad strokes again,   both NPD and BPD present in very similar ways.   For an NPD or BPD the world view is 'you need to take care of me perfectly, love me exactly the way I need, be exactly what I want'.     For a pwBPD that springs from having an instable sense of self - "I don't know what I am or who I am so you need to love me perfectly to make me better. "   For a pwNPD that springs from having a fractured sense of self - "I can't be anything but perfect, if things aren't perfect clearly you made them that way".
  This makes sense.  It’s funny (not haha funny), I see most things as some shade of gray and I accept people how they are — not hurting anyone, go about your business. With this I just seem to want to define...I think it’s part of my struggle to understand. And, as I recognize some repetitive behaviors, I start to remember others and try to determine if it was a BPD/NPD behavior or just disagreeable. Most days I do mostly recognize that it doesn’t matter. He can be whoever he is.  He is not allowed to hurt me or terrorize me or demoralize me or shame me AND double down that on the kids.  If he’s not willing to change (he’s not and I’m not asking), he can do him. I’m just going to do me...somewhere else.
Excerpt

I don't think its horrible at all.    Some of us are depressive, some of us somewhere else on the spectrum.     Some of us can play the piano, some of us can't, some are good at math, some are great at baseball.    Its a combination of characteristics and what we choose to do with them.   Being great at baseball doesn't make you better/worse than the person who can play the piano.

Yep.  Tell my kids all the time that the world is a wonderful place because we’re all different. If we were the same, it would be so darn boring.  I wish I could sing.  I can’t, at least not well.  My younger kids and I always belt it out in the car. H usually turns the radio if I start singing. Oldest (closest to dad and presenting a few NPD traits — I got a “if you cared about me you would have remembered I had a work thing at 2:15 on Tuesday”) also prefers I don’t sing.

Keep in mind I’ve done a dozen things to support kid 1 in the last week, but they don’t count as caring, just that I lost track of some meeting that was mentioned in passing. I work 10 hrs a day and have 2 younger kids to take care of...kid 1 is an adult. Kid one also lashes out quite meanly if kid 1 “feels” insult. Such that simply asking a question often provokes an attack on others. I’m hoping it’s pandemic fatigue and temporary living situation but I have concerns. Another day.

Excerpt
Liking to take care of people is part of being an emotional caretaker.    Especially if we put other people's needs, wants or thoughts ahead of our own.   

Depression can often manifest in other ways than a feeling of sad or low mood.  A chronic low grade depression can present as no motivation, difficulty making decisions, difficulty focusing on yourself or taking care of yourself, low self esteem and paradoxically - being hyper busy, while having low energy most days.     I'm not disagreeing with you.    I am saying that depression is not sadness.

I have been fatigued for 20 years with no known cause.

Excerpt

Sure.    of course.     what I learned when I went to stay with my grandparents was that to be in a stable and secure relationship you had to take care of people.    That was the unstated message but that is how I learned relationships work.   I never questioned that message.   I tend to be wired to be a fixer and a helper and I seriously doubt that will go away.    I doubt I want it to go away.   I am much more aware now that I need mature and reasonable limits around fixing and helping.     

I think when we all first arrive here we have been hit over the head with "you're wrong" "you didn't do that right"... that we are a little preoccupied with right/wrong, good/bad.    after all we have been stuck in a needs entitlement war that's been all about who is right, who is wrong, who is good/bad, who deserves more/less, who is better, who is worse.

what I think is that we need to really pay attention to the words we use to describe things.    some one smarter than me said "Words Create Worlds".   How we describe things creates how we experience/feel about things.     Think about your H being wrong.     Now think about your H being disordered.    Pay attention to how YOU feel as the description changes.   The word 'wrong' leads you down a certain path of thinking/feeling.    The word 'disordered' leads you down a different path.    This isn't about describing him accurately.    This is about creating flexible thinking for you... in your head... to allow for gentle problem solving.

'ducks

Thanks ‘ducks. Makes sense.

Right now, the disordered brings a little guilt. Not his fault, should I tolerate more b/c he can’t help it. Finally feel like I can say no to that.
UBPDHelp

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2021, 09:52:45 AM »

Hey...I'm so pleased that you are moving forward.  Especially that you are trying to connect with a T.  I would encourage you to keep your focus on finding a good fit with a T, since that help you sort out your values/feelings on the rest of the issues.

I simply can't imagine my life without my current T (PhD level psychologist).

One of the places were are similar is "shock" that we didn't "see it" earlier.

In my case I realized that I invalidated my wife for several years and made things far far worse.  From time to time I still carry guilt over that.

This is a trip up for me.  To clarify, do you invalidate others with the same words?

I ask b/c I don’t seem to have the same trouble with others.  I’ve stuck my foot in my mouth more than my fair share but most people either accept an apology (wow, sorry, that came out wrong...sorry, that was insensitive) and even if not recognized in the moment, I haven’t insulted such that anyone has stopped talking to me.

I ask, b/c if I’m invalidating him at every turn, then I must be to others?  Others are saints and forgiving?  Or it is not truly invalidating?
Excerpt

One of the things my T helps me with is to not beat yourself up over ignorance.  I simply didn't know that...didn't have experience with that...completely foreign to me how "the truth" could be hurtful (especially when "the truth" was you have a faithful husband)

Once you know better...do better, then let the past stay in the past.  (and yes...it sounds much simpler than it is)

Switching gears:  Try this on for size.  (it is/was true in my case).  I didn't trust myself for a long time after I "saw" the stuff I had missed/done. 

The basic thought process was that if I was ignorant and made  a mess of things "back then"...who is to say that I'm not ignorant now?  If you don't trust yourself...trust and confidence are kissing cousins, so it seems reasonable that you would be worried about "where to go".

Last:   I'm going to be in agreement with others that there is a big NPD streak in your hubby. 

The challenge/opportunity is how to use that to your advantage..to the advantage of your family.

Any thoughts there?

Best,

FF

Thanks FF.  Most of the time, I’m confident in my decision. I wish for something else...that doesn’t really exist. I know this is right and I deserve better. He should think I deserve better. He doesn’t.

Gaslighting?  He’s starting to craft the “you (me) really had a meltdown over pandemic”.

I got a good paying job with full benefits, unlimited time off (tough to do with workload), paid off all my credit cards, raised my credit score 150 points so I am primed to buy a house when ready. I’ve spent a lot of time sorting through best interest. Reached out to a T and several attorneys.

He collapsed for months, several weeks of no showering.  Broke a tv, dishes, threw things. Ranted at me that I was going to be living in the streets. Refused to take out garbage. Told me “if you want a war, you’re going to get a war” b/c I rescheduled a plumber b/c I had a meeting. Destroyed one half of the garage by throwing things all over looking for one Christmas decoration. Couldn’t find it so he toppled over boxes, etc. everywhere. I found the dec in 5 mins. It’s been 6 months and he “f]c£ing won’t clean it up”.

He has all these old time decs he bought or got from family. I put away 3 Christmas trees and put his most valuable on the table to put away. He refused for 3 weeks. I got tired of looking at them and carefully packed them and left them on the floor of house he is inhabiting. He still refused to put them away. In fact, he took out several and decorated our room for Christmas. A mini tree and Santa’s and wall decs. He turns the lights on the tree nearly every day. It’s May. Maybe this is okay?  Idk.

My youngest D has a med issue. The specialist only allows one parent due to Covid. The doc is a male. D is early teen, gets questions about puberty and has to partially disrobe. Uncomfortable. H freaks out that he wants to take her (he has never once taken the kids to any doc except like 3 times with me).

He says, several times, as he’s screaming at me “it’s not like they’re looking at her pu$$y”.  I am sick. Who talks like that?  Who talks like that about their daughter? 

I can’t make him stop.  If I tell him anything makes one of the kids uncomfortable (t!ts, any body parts derogatorily referred), he just does it more.  Pu$$y becomes pu$$y, pu$$y, pu$$y.

He doesn’t understand a 14 yo does want to discuss her lady parts with her dad or her dad and a doctor.

But, despite the inflammatory behavior not being pandemic related solely — I don’t think I’m the one who went off the deep end during pandemic.

But the gaslighting begins.
UBPDHelp

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2021, 10:18:40 AM »

I’m playing catch up and I intend to reply to all who have very kindly shared and replied. You have provided insight and understanding and commonality that is so so helpful.

My time is stretched thin at the moment (and I have a migraine) so it is going to take me a bit longer.

I do have a somewhat lingering and maybe inconsequential question, but I’m curious for thoughts.

I mentioned that my youngest D has a med issue. They are recommending pretty intense surgery that will lay her up for 6 weeks and a year or so to return most activities. Some never again. This is daunting and scary and I’ve been in tears or near tears a lot. Not in front of her. We talk it through and she goes back and forth. There’s some leeway in when.  That’s really the discussion. Then some expressed fears about the surgery, etc.  valid, stomach churning. I don't let on that I’m terrified too, but reassure her that her concerns are valid and then all the reasons we can allay some — surgeon is top ped surgeon in the world (like in top 5, close to an ivy-league hospital), he’s done it hundreds of times with great success, we’re getting a second opinion for confirmation and better long term quality of life.

H, despite not being able to attend appointment — I did set up a telehealth appointment for us to discuss with doc next week as follow up — has been discussing fairly reasonable.  I still get a “I’m so fuc€ing mad I didn’t get to go to appointment” but nothing I can do. Wasn’t my call. He tells me he would do anything so she didn’t suffer. EXCEPT not continually berate me that he couldn’t come or stop saying pu$$y.

We were discussing F2F about options. Did you see this or that. He says what if we got her _____ for her recovery?  I said “I wondered about that.”

He freaks out. Of course you did. You’re so brilliant. Every good idea, you say you had.

Not true.  

So is truly agreeing and acknowledging that I had wondered the same thing somehow invalidating?  To him?  To everyone?

If to everyone I plan to cease all communication b/c I’m not capable.

Please share your thoughts...sorry was a long way to a singular question.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2021, 02:08:47 PM »

Invalidation isn't the same to everyone.  Perhaps a kissing cousin to that statement is..."not everyone finds the same thing invalidating" or "is as sensitive to it".

My guess is that invalidation (and validation for that matter) is much more important to disordered people..than "normal".

I mean..most people can self soothe.  So for them validation or avoiding invalidation is a "bonus".

However, a disordered person may have problems self soothing with even the best validation and avoidance of invalidation.

Example:  Let's say FFw "feels" like we are poor..out of money and about to be evicted.  The a delivery person comes by and drops off a check with a lot of zeros.  Maybe the delivery person was in a hurry or just not friendly.

FFw has to "do something" with the invalidation of "feeling poor" and "facts" that are literaly in her hand.

So...skip talking about the check and talk about what a jerk the delivery driver is or all those hussies chasing FF and his marvelous mustache..

Most "non-disordered" people might allow "facts" to lead their feelings and they feel better looking at more...vice less zeros on a check.

I'm hoping someone with more experience with NPD can validate this for me or that this applies...but generally said, disordered people let "feelings create their facts". 

Example:  FFw has claimed financial documents were forgeries...when I got her on the phone with the bank and "proved" they were authentic...can you see how I invalidated her.

If I could go back in time and deal with feelings..instead of facts..would have been much better.

And...yes, for me this still is exhausting to think through and execute.  I mean..who isn't happy with lots of zeros.

Thoughts?

Best,

FF

babyducks

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 04:45:15 AM »

I am very sorry to hear that your D is struggling with a medical issue and is facing surgery.   That sounds quite stressful.    I am sure you are being a comfort and a strength for her.     I also hope your migraine has lifted or has started to lift.

We were discussing F2F about options. Did you see this or that. He says what if we got her _____ for her recovery?  I said “I wondered about that.”

He freaks out. Of course you did. You’re so brilliant. Every good idea, you say you had.

Not true. 

So is truly agreeing and acknowledging that I had wondered the same thing somehow invalidating?  To him?  To everyone?

No.   No it wasn't invalidating.  Not to him.   Not to anyone.

What would have been invalidating is if you continued the conversation.   ( I am assuming you walked away from this covert abuse?)    If you continued the conversation by debating who had the idea first.   If you continued by justifying how you came to have the same idea..."I saw this on Television yesterday and it made me think..."   If you explained the doctor mentioned that recovery would require...etc etc etc.    that would have been invalidating.

pwNPD or traits of NPD have a strong need to be "large and in charge"   their thoughts, ideas, opinions need to drive the conversation, and dominant the topic to the exclusion of all others.    with their diminished executive function and empathy pwNPD do not comprehend that others have perspectives or the right to express them.    pwNPD or the traits can only see one point of view, their own and their opinion, thought, idea has to be the right one.   pwNPD are not self aware or self reflective, locked into their own schema, script they have to be the best and brightest in the room.   

I did set up a telehealth appointment for us to discuss with doc next week as follow up — has been discussing fairly reasonable.  I still get a “I’m so fuc€ing mad I didn’t get to go to appointment” but nothing I can do. Wasn’t my call. He tells me he would do anything so she didn’t suffer. EXCEPT not continually berate me that he couldn’t come or stop saying pu$$y.

Of course he is 'so mad he didn't get to go to the appointment'.    of course he 'would do anything so she didn't suffer'.     Can you see how this flips things so that something that is essentially all about her becomes about him?    The attention of the moment shifts from her, to him.   His need here isn't to take care of your D,... the need here is 1) meet his requirement for attention, he has to be the largest presence in the room sucking in attention like a sponge, and 2) vent some stress by venting irritation.     He has very maladaptive ways of getting his needs met.       Can I ask... if you were to pick a level or describe in some way his emotional maturity, what would you say?   At what level of emotional maturity does he normally function?   and at what level under stress or during stressful times?

Are you managing any self care at all?

'ducks

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2021, 09:31:39 AM »

At the telehealth appointment in about a week, who all will be on the call?

You, doctor, hubby.  Will daughter be there?

What is the purpose of this call?  What information do you hope to gather?

Do you think your hubby has the same purposes?

Best,

FF

UBPDHelp

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2021, 04:48:14 PM »

I am very sorry to hear that your D is struggling with a medical issue and is facing surgery.   That sounds quite stressful.    I am sure you are being a comfort and a strength for her.     I also hope your migraine has lifted or has started to lift.

No.   No it wasn't invalidating.  Not to him.   Not to anyone.

The thing is I actually felt that showing it as a shared idea was actually validating.

Excerpt
What would have been invalidating is if you continued the conversation.   ( I am assuming you walked away from this covert abuse?)    If you continued the conversation by debating who had the idea first.   If you continued by justifying how you came to have the same idea..."I saw this on Television yesterday and it made me think..."   If you explained the doctor mentioned that recovery would require...etc etc etc.    that would have been invalidating.

I didn’t immediately walk away as there were other more important pieces to discuss. But I didn’t engage and if he’d been unwilling to drop it, I would have.

Excerpt
pwNPD or traits of NPD have a strong need to be "large and in charge"   their thoughts, ideas, opinions need to drive the conversation, and dominant the topic to the exclusion of all others.    with their diminished executive function and empathy pwNPD do not comprehend that others have perspectives or the right to express them.    pwNPD or the traits can only see one point of view, their own and their opinion, thought, idea has to be the right one.   pwNPD are not self aware or self reflective, locked into their own schema, script they have to be the best and brightest in the room.

Yes.  We saw my MIL for the first time in over 6 months. They are both very conservative.  She is over the top…can you believe such and such?  Well, no, and neither should you.  Ever think it sounds scandalous because you believe every right wing fruitcake that makes some sh!t up?  

Now, I’m not one to believe everything that comes from the left either. Grab myself some common sense. And if something sounds scandalous, maybe do some more reading and research.

Well she and H went on a rant about politics and I fell in the “sit quiet compliance” vs “speak up and let the games begin” hole. Truthfully, now that I’m more aware of some NPD dynamic, I do like to be more vocal b/c I want to see how much of what I think/feel is “allowed” before going off the rails. Not much. And, in some weird way it makes me more confident in my decisions.  

But when I voiced that I might see it differently, it began an onslaught of underhanded insults. It was all people from the Midwest who are uneducated and fat. I may have grown up in the Midwest and I may be fat, but I am not uneducated and I can diet.

Excerpt
Of course he is 'so mad he didn't get to go to the appointment'.    of course he 'would do anything so she didn't suffer'.     Can you see how this flips things so that something that is essentially all about her becomes about him?    The attention of the moment shifts from her, to him.   His need here isn't to take care of your D,... the need here is 1) meet his requirement for attention, he has to be the largest presence in the room sucking in attention like a sponge, and 2) vent some stress by venting irritation.     He has very maladaptive ways of getting his needs met.       Can I ask... if you were to pick a level or describe in some way his emotional maturity, what would you say?   At what level of emotional maturity does he normally function?   and at what level under stress or during stressful times?

Interesting!  I wasn’t thinking of it that way, but I see what you’re saying.

We’re now in the spot of him hearing some very different things than I hear from the doctor, and then bantering over semantics. Then it becomes, you decide, you’re the mom and you’ll do what’s best. It’s true I will, but it is a way to deflect the responsibility.  I don’t care, I will make the decision.

He wants to say he’s involved. It becomes “I found the Ivy League doctors”. I am happy to have them, but the need for credit for finding his child’s doctor is so irrelevant and off point.

He feels bad for her.

The emotional maturity feels tough — he can make tough decisions. Intellectually he can, but virtually none is made without emotional upheaval, blackmail or insult. Also interesting. I’ve operated with the decision made and job gets done, but discounted the drama that came with it. I don’t even know what that would look like. It’s sad how used to things you get.

For instance — he wants to see his mom. I’ve resisted b/c things are terrible between us so it feels duplicitous but not ready to initiate plug pulling. (Impending major surgery for D has made me want to get my bearings again.  If surgery will be soon, then don’t want to navigate now; if it can wait a year, then could be more settled by then to address surgery unified (as much as ever would be possible).)

When D21 goes out with friends he uses it to manipulate into seeing his mom. When I acquiesce but put a limit to how long I’m willing BUT tell him we can drive separately so he doesn’t have to leave until he’s ready, he freaks out. I know he wants to appear all is well in front of mom, but I wanted to ensure my boundary was understood and kept. I will go but I will leave at stated time.

He riled, but then agreed. Shouldn’t it be enough I agreed but for the time I specified (I have a meeting filled week and wanted time to decompress).

Maybe I can handle him better but I don’t want to and don’t have the energy. I shouldn’t have  to try so hard. And please read, I am willing to bend in support of others, I just want the same consideration.

He just tries to manipulate everyone all the time.

Excerpt
Are you managing any self care at all?

'ducks

Not a ton right now. One more doctor visit for daughter — second opinion, then time to digest. Then when decision made, will refocus. Taking a small family vacay in June with kids so D can have some fun if she then has to do surgery. It’s 6-8 weeks laid up after 15 months of pandemic. Didn’t want to do it but do think she needs some fun and 2 rooms so separate. And more proof + boundaries. And I have means to take kiddos and go.

Doing best I can, which doesn’t feel great 50% of the time.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 04:55:09 PM by UBPDHelp » Logged
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2021, 04:58:10 PM »

Did you address the underhanded insults about midwest and fat?  How did that resolve?

Good luck with those second opinions and sorting out medical options.  Working through that with my Mom right now...frustrating.

Best,

FF

UBPDHelp

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2021, 09:31:13 PM »

Did you address the underhanded insults about midwest and fat?  How did that resolve?

Good luck with those second opinions and sorting out medical options.  Working through that with my Mom right now...frustrating.

Best,

FF

No, it was not directly directed at me. He said it about a group of people he has morphed into something they’re not and to further his point that they are inconsequential, he says they are fat, uneducated midwesterners.

I pointed out at least one of this group was actually from where we live (he is) and it’s hoity toity New England. And to ensure I wasn’t wrong, much later, I looked it up and 80-90 percent were not from the Midwest. It’s some form of manipulative gaslighting.

I fought back to him and his mother. He kept trying to make it political and called me a liberal (not an insult, he just thinks it is).  I told him it wasn’t about politics, it was about right and wrong. You can’t argue it wasn’t wrong. He finally admitted it was wrong. His mother told me I would find out. She knows. I asked who told her and she said a famous republican…on the news. Literally if you change the channel, you hear otherwise.

He went to another room and walked around. He was pi$$ed. I have never really stood up to his manipulation in front of anyone before. He calmed down and the rest of the day was fairly uneventful. 

It just made me realize more and more that I don’t have the energy  for this. I either agree with him and his more and more right wing beliefs, continue to stroke his ego or I am the enemy.

Ultimately this doesn’t get better, I just want to make the rest of this less bad (without being trounced, belittled or moving my boundaries).

The second opinion is to confirm surgery is needed/recommended. It is my, H and doctor. Daughter isn’t here for these. If this doctor disagrees, there will be a tiebreaker third opinion. Then it is a matter of when. One day at a time with this stuff.

I’m sorry about your mom. That is so hard.  I hope you find strength and peace each day.
Couper

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2021, 10:05:37 PM »

We were discussing F2F about options. Did you see this or that. He says what if we got her _____ for her recovery?  I said “I wondered about that.”

Not true.  

So is truly agreeing and acknowledging that I had wondered the same thing somehow invalidating?  To him?  To everyone?

If to everyone I plan to cease all communication b/c I’m not capable.

Please share your thoughts...sorry was a long way to a singular question.

I was trying to skim through this thread for the first time and this caught my attention (sorry for your troubles, by the way).  It sounds like others have nailed it given your particular situation but I wanted to add my own experience for a sense of perspective.  My uBPDw is notorious for such exchanges and she is extremely self-loathing.  

She would have said exactly what you posted there and on top of that added (in bold):  "Of course you did. You’re so brilliant. Every good idea, you say you had. I'm always the idiot.  I'm always the stupid one.  Everybody hates me."

That's because she lives in a perpetual state of victimhood.  I now know that she suffered a terrible injustice when she was a child and I take responses like that to mean she's still stuck at that moment in time where none of the adults in her life came to her rescue.  Of course, when those around her don't have that context to process what is coming out of her mouth, her behavior becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and people do wind up hating her, and hence the endless cycle of terror.

All my best to you.  When I can make time I'm going to make it a point to read all of your thread in detail.  Keep putting one foot in front of the other!

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2021, 08:04:26 AM »

He went to another room and walked around. He was pi$$ed. I have never really stood up to his manipulation in front of anyone before. He calmed down and the rest of the day was fairly uneventful.  

Yep...this isn't surprising.  Most likely the next couple of times he may push back and bit harder...perhaps toss in a time or two of ignoring you or acting like it doesn't matter...but eventually...this line of "attack" will most likely be dropped or get a lot less.

It just made me realize more and more that I don’t have the energy  for this.  

Both of the above quotes are true.  I point out the first one for you to realize there are ways to "fight back" (not the best words..allI have right now) in a healthy way.  Important to know because there will be connection and communication with him..long term..regardless of state of your marriage.

I also think that this kind of thing will help him realize you are serious, when you begin moving forward on changing your marriage.

On Mom:  Geriatrics today, CT scan tomorrow, maybe a day to read and think about CT scan...so maybe Friday we have a clear picture of "mouth pain".

Best,

FF

UBPDHelp

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2021, 06:13:57 AM »

Yep...this isn't surprising.  Most likely the next couple of times he may push back and bit harder...perhaps toss in a time or two of ignoring you or acting like it doesn't matter...but eventually...this line of "attack" will most likely be dropped or get a lot less.

I’ve seen this behavior before, but never in front of someone outside the immediate household. When no one else is around, he throws a fit never confined by others.

At this moment, I have realized that a lot of his upset may be because his mother got to see his behavior. He’s terrible with her often, too.  It can’t be much of a surprise but he also takes her on every vacation, helps her financially on occasion, or dealing with house/legal issues and includes her in every holiday/event known to man.  But he can be downright nasty to her, too.  

In truth, these episodes now don’t bother me much long term, in the moment, yes. Now the episodes mostly bolster my resolve that I can’t continue with this. I expressed a different view than his mother, who is also ultra conservative (when it suits her), and she does her usual, “you’ll find out” as if she has secret information the rest of the world will learn one day. I’ve complained of that for years. She thinks she wins an argument by “knowing” something the rest of us haven’t figured out yet. A mini gaslight perhaps…

Yes, maybe I disagreed (don’t people do that all day without much ado about nothing?). I was gentle about it and it was meant as a conversation.

She drops a salacious comment that can’t be true unless you’re buying into right-wing rhetoric.  I asked her why she thought that and suggested that there may be more to the story than we were aware of. Nope, she is aware because she was told by Sam Vopy (the right wing news guy).  

Oh, you heard it on the news.  Geesh, change the channel and you’ll hear something else. I didn’t say that, wasn’t looking to start a fight.

Her behavior has always been calmer but this sort of low key behavior has been there forever. Perhaps I’m reading into it.  Just felt interesting having never stood up to H in front of her — at least to the point of getting H to admit that I wasn’t discussing politics (they turned it to that), but simply able to say the behavior of others was wrong and ultimately that was all.  Were they driven to act? Perhaps. Did they just lose it? Maybe. Was it still wrong? Yes.

I know ‘ducks has pointed out that things are not always right or wrong, but live on a spectrum (including PDs). I agree and often bend so far to make excuses for others or grasp at a reason why someone behaves the way they do. Sometimes it makes sense and explains why and then tempers the judgment. Sometimes, though, it is just wrong. And this was.

And, to be clear, it was not personal to them so discussing all views should be just a discussion. Alternative is to agree or say nothing.

Excerpt
Both of the above quotes are true.  I point out the first one for you to realize there are ways to "fight back" (not the best words..allI have right now) in a healthy way.  Important to know because there will be connection and communication with him..long term..regardless of state of your marriage.

I also think that this kind of thing will help him realize you are serious, when you begin moving forward on changing your marriage.

I’m not sure I know how to fight back in a healthy way. I expressed a different view. No argument. Just why do you believe this happened when you’re so upset, it doesn’t ring true and if it were true, would have been corrected by now. I don’t say those words so much, more just asked why she believed something she found so incredible, that I have not heard one time or read one time.  It’s not that I know all, but genuinely wanted to know where she heard it.

From there it was attacks that only uneducated liberals would see my view and disdain that I could be so liberal.  I don’t define on a party line (I used to) but rather use my own sensibilities for what I believe is right. Should I be expected to do more. Should I be able to express my beliefs?

Where did you hear that b/c I had not. And, you’re right, that sounds incredible.  Have you considered — a) it may not be be true, b) there may be more to the story or c) both a and b?

Nope, she knows, it’s political and I’m going to find out. Can’t wait.

Excerpt
On Mom:  Geriatrics today, CT scan tomorrow, maybe a day to read and think about CT scan...so maybe Friday we have a clear picture of "mouth pain".

Best,

FF

Good luck on this. I don’t wish her pain, but hope they find a cause so that they can treat so she feels better.

Let us know how you make out.

Thanks FF
UBPDHelp

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2021, 06:37:33 AM »

Also update on call with doc yesterday.

The doc changed time, which made it super inconvenient so H was going to join via phone. The telemedicine required a phone app to connect (also challenging) and I was going to loop H in via home phone.  I did but then the doc couldn’t hear (getting to this point was stressful and I was a bit frazzled), so I put my headphones in for a sec to adjust the noise.

Now H can’t hear but we have the doc on the phone for a set amount of time. He starts rage texting me and incessantly calling. The problem is I can’t switch audio in the app to speaker so he can hear b/c every time he calls (repeatedly) it pops off the app (thank goodness it doesn’t disconnect) so I can’t get to the button.

I’m simultaneously trying to discuss with doc and manage “you better not be fu€£ing talking to the doc without me” and constant calling. I finally managed to text him to stop calling so I could switch audio.  He then refused to answer the phone to join. I didn’t get most of what I needed from the call. I got the gist, but was too crazed to ask meaningful follow up. The doc shared a couple of key points that I thought H would want to hear. Before I hung up with the doc I told him H was disappointed he wasn’t able to join and arranged a phone call for him.

I then called H to tell him and he refused to answer for like 30 mins. Texted and told me to do whatever with D.  Kept saying I was harassing him b/c I called him a few times to discuss (he has a cell and a couple direct office lines depending where he is, and since I didn’t know, I tried each, but may have double dialed one cuz I lost track in the frenzy).

He rage texts me and when I call to discuss, I’m harassing him.

Eventually we spoke. He yelled at me and I told him we could either discuss calmly or not. I wasn’t going to if he was yelling. He hung up.

We spoke again and he had calmed down. Full of reasons he was so upset. He found the doctor, why did I have the app (um, I set up the appointment, gave them my email and completed all the paperwork…was not a master plan to screw him over. More needed to get done and he didn’t want to do it).  Even his D facing major surgery is about how unfair it is to him. He expresses he feels bad for her but then reminds us he found the doctors and he is doing this and that.

Anyway, yep, that was a horrible day all around and made so much worse by his crazed behavior. I’m exhausted and I resent I never get a moment to just think of the problem at hand. It always includes how he feels and needing his ego stroked. It’s disappointing, to say the least.

Just sharing…how was your day?
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2021, 08:39:24 AM »

Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post) Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

I mean..the technology alone is enough to make you scream...the addition of BPD makes it unbearable.

Hang in there..

Best,

FF

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest