Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 03:58:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are they now? What's become of the adult kids posted about here yrs ago  (Read 700 times)
Leaf56

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« on: July 19, 2021, 11:21:44 PM »

The question that keeps coming back to me over and over is what has become of all the adult kids that were posted about here over the past 10-plus years? Can anyone offer any insight on their own situations or those of others they've collected anecdotally or do people just come and go from this community without follow-up? It would be great if we could compile a database and see if there are any trends. It would also be good to know if some folks feel that they diagnosed their loved ones themselves with BPD or received a clinical diagnosis of BPD that later seems to have been in error. I'm trying to backread old threads as quickly as possible, but I'd assume that the historical mods have a much better sense of things.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Leaf56

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 08:56:27 AM »

Aww, man. I was so wanting this thread to take off with dozens of success stories from veteran posters so that we who are just starting to go through it now could have some hope for the future. But I’m guessing that the reality is quite the opposite. Sigh.
hurtmom

Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 11:02:05 AM »

I was hoping to see some positive encouraging stories that will provide hope and insight to things improving and how to get there too
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 11:13:14 AM »

Leaf56, try searching for member "lbjnltx" and checking out her posts. If I'm remembering correctly, her daughter did show some improvement after residential. Lots of posts so it may take some digging. let us know if you're not sure how to work the "search members" function.

This is lbjnltx's journal about her child's time in residential: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=120563.0

Also check out posts by qcarolr.

Oh, and wendydarling's posts, like this one: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=317675.0

Success can look a lot of different ways.

Hope that helps;

kells76
Leaf56

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 05:33:59 PM »

Thanks, Kells. I guess you're right about success looking very different to different people.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 05:38:39 PM »

Excerpt
success looking very different to different people.

Yes. I've read some posts from parents here who consider "success" that their child is alive somewhere and occasionally contacts them. Other parents consider "success" that their child is only using pot, not other drugs. Some parents have children who hold down jobs, or take college classes. Those can be successes as well. Other children with BPD are working on advanced degrees. I believe wendydarling's daughter is engaged with treatment and committed to it, and is managing daily life better, and to her that is success.

So there is a wide range of success, and it could be considered a combination of both the actual content/actions, and your perspective about the whole thing.

Wishing you well;

kells76
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest