Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 03:04:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking advice - Have you tried helping a uBPD loved one to get treatment?  (Read 391 times)
Koala323

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Live with partner

« on: August 08, 2021, 01:36:56 PM »

Hello - I’m curious if anyone here has tried to help a parent get treatment or diagnosed?

A family therapist we had an assessment with has advised that we shouldn’t do family therapy until each parent is individually treated, and my uBPD mom flew off the handle - it’s not the response she wanted.  The document from the therapist is very explicit around addressing anger and violence in the relationships.  My mom asked my opinion, and I said I completely agreed with the therapist’s recommendations and that she had to be willing to address the icky parts of her relationship with Dad before anything else could happen.

How explicit or direct have you been with your family members?  How did being explicit or direct go?  How do we encourage someone who might have BPD to get help? I get that boundary setting is a huge part of it, and I’m doing that.  But, what’s next? My mom is still in the dark about why my dad moved out.  How do we explain it to her?  If she has BPD and is in complete emotional torment, I’d like her to have some relief from the pain/get the answers she’s seeking - it’s almost too much for me to even think about the distress she’s in.

So, have you tried being direct with a loved one? What happened when you did? How long was the journey from you realizing a loved one might have BPD to them hearing you and then maybe, maybe accepting it/getting help?

(Side note - I try to be specific and connect the boundary with her behavior, for example, “when you called me [names] I felt flooded and needed to distance for a day.”)
Oh Brother

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 08:48:46 PM »

Hello Koala323,

Hello - I’m curious if anyone here has tried to help a parent get treatment or diagnosed?
How explicit or direct have you been with your family members?  How did being explicit or direct go?  How do we encourage someone who might have BPD to get help? I get that boundary setting is a huge part of it, and I’m doing that.  But, what’s next? My mom is still in the dark about why my dad moved out.  How do we explain it to her?
So, have you tried being direct with a loved one? What happened when you did? How long was the journey from you realizing a loved one might have BPD to them hearing you and then maybe, maybe accepting it/getting help?

I have suggested to my uBPDs, both lovingly and angrily, that she seek qualified professional treatment.  Obviously when I've suggested it in anger in response to raging behavior of hers, it hasn't worked. Smiling (click to insert in post)  She DARVOs on me (https://dynamic.uoregon.edu/jjf/defineDARVO.html).  But it also hasn't worked when I've suggested it in loving ways.  She doesn't recognize that she has the disorder.  She feels she's already in therapy for other issues - but her family doesn't think the therapist she's seeing is capable of treating such a difficult disorder.

There do appear to be a couple of videos on this topic (how to suggest therapy to a pwBPD) linked from the pinned "Lessons" topic in this discussion group - see https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=108307.0.

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.  --Yogi Berra
Notwendy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 04:15:45 AM »

I am not a professional, but to me, for therapy to work, the person has to be willing to do it, and be honest with the therapist.

As far as my BPD mother sees any family issues, she isn't at fault- others have "issues" and she's fine, in fact she's not to blame for any of them. She has had some individual therapy but to her, it's to talk about the problems everyone else has.

I think some people with BPD have been helped with therapy but I think they have been at least willing to work with a therapist.

While family therapy might not be an option, I think individual therapy for you would be helpful. This may not make sense if you are wondering why you and not her, but the family patterns affect everyone in a family and you can work on this part of it, and how to manage them better- it can be of great help to you.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest