Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 02:53:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I feel like I am dissolving inside  (Read 357 times)
WhiteOrchid
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Living together

« on: December 14, 2021, 06:17:57 PM »

Paragraph header  (click to insert in post)

How do I find the strength and tools to stay with my partner?

I could really use some help as I have no one to talk to. I feel so alone in this situation. This forum is my last hope. My girlfriend's BPD is getting worse. She has made 2 suicide attempts in the last month and threatened a few more. Her response to stressful situations now is to put herself in danger. This is either by not eating (she has an eating disorder) or getting drunk and then wandering off into the city by herself. I always end up following her. She becomes abusive with me when she gets too overwhelmed, saying incredibly horrible things to me. She also says she doesn't care about me or that she enjoys hurting me. She recently threatened to tell the police that I hit her, or to post horrible things about me on social media.

Even with all this I deeply love her and she loves me. When she "comes down" from these episodes she is always extremely guilty and sorry, to the point of balling her eyes out. She tells me she would never actually do the things she threatens to do, and that she didnt mean them. I can see she is suffering massively and that she just can't handle her emotions. Her mother's cancer has recently come back and she had placed her life on hold for our relationship while we waited for her visa to come in (we were long distance for 2 of the 3 years of our relationship and we are trying to bring her to my country, I am currently visiting her in her country now). I can see that all of this is just a PLEASE READed up defense mechanism but it still hurts so much. When she isn't suffering an episode we have wonderful moments together. I love so many aspects of her personality, and she makes me so happy.

I just feel like I am dating two people. There is like this incredibly sweet and beautiful part of her and then this other monstrous version. She has started therapy (although she has tried it before). She got diagnosed formally with bpd about 3 weeks ago but we have thought she had it for a long time. Even though I understand her condition I don't know how to respond when she has an episode. Please, can anyone here help me? I feel like I am dissolving inside.

PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Rev
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced and now happily remarried.

The surest way to fail is to never try.

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 07:10:53 PM »

Paragraph header  (click to insert in post)

How do I find the strength and tools to stay with my partner?

I could really use some help as I have no one to talk to. I feel so alone in this situation. This forum is my last hope. My girlfriend's BPD is getting worse. She has made 2 suicide attempts in the last month and threatened a few more. Her response to stressful situations now is to put herself in danger. This is either by not eating (she has an eating disorder) or getting drunk and then wandering off into the city by herself. I always end up following her. She becomes abusive with me when she gets too overwhelmed, saying incredibly horrible things to me. She also says she doesn't care about me or that she enjoys hurting me. She recently threatened to tell the police that I hit her, or to post horrible things about me on social media.

Even with all this I deeply love her and she loves me. When she "comes down" from these episodes she is always extremely guilty and sorry, to the point of balling her eyes out. She tells me she would never actually do the things she threatens to do, and that she didnt mean them. I can see she is suffering massively and that she just can't handle her emotions. Her mother's cancer has recently come back and she had placed her life on hold for our relationship while we waited for her visa to come in (we were long distance for 2 of the 3 years of our relationship and we are trying to bring her to my country, I am currently visiting her in her country now). I can see that all of this is just a PLEASE READed up defense mechanism but it still hurts so much. When she isn't suffering an episode we have wonderful moments together. I love so many aspects of her personality, and she makes me so happy.

I just feel like I am dating two people. There is like this incredibly sweet and beautiful part of her and then this other monstrous version. She has started therapy (although she has tried it before). She got diagnosed formally with bpd about 3 weeks ago but we have thought she had it for a long time. Even though I understand her condition I don't know how to respond when she has an episode. Please, can anyone here help me? I feel like I am dissolving inside.

Hi White Orchid,

Welcome...  you've come to a really great place.  There is lots of wisdom here and it's a really hopeful place. No judgement. Everybody learns from everybody else.

When I read what you write, I hear that you feel like you are losing yourself episode by episode. And that is a really important moment of self awareness. Why, because much of what you will need to learn to adapt may come across as counter intuitive.

Like - the best way to engage someone in an episode may be to disengage.  (Don't read too much into that for the moment, because I don't know all the context) That being said, I am hearing some pretty abusive behavior on her part, and I would implore you to stay safe and protect yourself. 

As for the rest - I would encourage you to scope out the site and see what resonates. Some of your questions may emerge in a way that you may intuit some of the answers.  Also, have you heard of the book "Stop Walking Eggshells"?

Finally, just out of curiosity, how long have you been together?  Do you have children in the mix somewhere?

Any other details about the relationship that might give some context?

Write back when you feel up to it.

In the meantime, hang in there. 

Rev
bugwaterguy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 05:44:53 AM »

The things you are saying sound familiar - "dating two people" especially.

I will echo reading "Stop Walking On Eggshells", also "The Stop Walking On Eggshells Workbook" and "Loving Someone with Borderline Personality Disorder".    If you are like me, you will read those books and feel immediately validated.  You will better understand your girlfriend, and that knowledge will help you know how to move forward.  It also gives tools to deal with extreme situations.

A few things I have learned from those books - that have been extremely helpful:

Pay attention to your emotional state.  BPD take whatever you are feeling and magnify it many times and throw it back at you.  In difficult conversations - go through these steps to emotionally regulate yourself:
1. Pause.
2. Pay attention to my emotions (what are you feeling?, don't try to change it, just be aware)
3. Pay attention to my physical sensation (is your blood pressure up?, do you feel knots in your stomach?)
4. Pay attention to your body posture and language (crossed arms or legs, eye contact, hunched)
5. Half-smile. (not a smirk or a full smile - because that could be seen as invalidating - the kind of smile you give yourself when you are feeling sad and want to show care, but not that you are glad about a situation)
6. Validate and cheerlead yourself. (in your head - tell yourself you are doing the best you can do right now)

Then validate your girlfriend - find something to validate in what she says.  Even if it is only that is the way she feels. 

The more validating you can be, the better.  It sounds counterintuitive to justify their feelings - that might seem out-of-line to "normal" people - but research shows it helps.

The after the validation, counter with your hope. 

For example, "It is reasonable for you to feel this way.  There is so much going on in your life that would be difficult for anyone to deal with, especially all at once.  Your mom's cancer and visa issues - either one of them by themselves would be overwhelming - and you have both.  Combine that with a global pandemic - and what you are feeling makes complete sense."

Then counter with your hope.  "I know you are a strong person, you have dealt with many difficult things in your life.  I have seen your strength of persevering despite everything you have going on.  And I am here to support you any way I can.  What can I do for you right now?  If you don't know, I will be right here to listen."

(this is a million times easier to come up with when you aren't in the heat of the moment)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest