Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 04:56:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daughter gave Dad a picture of her for his birthday  (Read 1027 times)
beatricex

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: Married

« on: April 26, 2021, 12:50:49 PM »

Does anyone else think this is strange?  They haven't spoken in 6 months, and she sends a postcard, with pictures of her and her new boyfriend and her 2 kids to her Dad (my husband) on his birthday.   Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

That is not a birthday gift. Smiling (click to insert in post)
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Swimmy55
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 03:17:32 PM »

Well, remember, BPD folks do think very differently.  Also, in her mind , this could have been a "thaw"- a way to low key be in touch after the silence. 

beatricex

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 05:29:59 PM »

Except, she has given him a picture of herself on his birthday before.  LOL

I googled it, and mostly the consensus is that this is what conceited/vain people do! 

The thing is, if we gave her a picture of us for her birthday, she'd be livid.  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post) Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

A $10 Starbucks giftcard would do, it says "hey dad, I know you like coffee, have one on me." Smiling (click to insert in post)
Sancho
Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 08:53:57 PM »

I don't really find it that strange. Lots of people I know do this - usually child to parent and especially child and grandchildren to parent.

Don't know anyone who does it the other way though - ie parent to child!
beatricex

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 09:16:07 AM »

Well, my husband took it as "here's a picture of me since you don't want to see me and you're a bad father."

We had a falling out because she doesn't want to be careful with COVID and my husband is being very careful. 

Her and her sister gave their Dad an ultimatum, that he must divorce me or one of them will disown him.

So, there's a bit more to it than that.

I think she's trying to say "look at how great I am and look what you're missing" (grandiosity)

Also, the other picture she gave her Dad was what I call a "sexy shot" with cleavage and pouty mouth.  Not at all appropriate for giving to your Dad.
Sancho
Ambassador

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 05:39:39 PM »

Yes it sounds as though there are lots of layers going on here.

Hope you are going okay with all this history!
beatricex

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2022, 04:21:43 PM »

I am still processing all that has happened since I posted this over a year ago. 

When unraveling all the lies, all the odd behaviors, all the manipulations of an adult BPD child, it is just amazing to me that I always know when something is amiss.  I don't know exactly what is amiss, but I always know.

Like the family photo we received last year.  It's finally starting to make sense.  And no, this wasn't an innocent gesture, and I'm just now realizing the extent of the lies and what was actually going on.  Deceit, lies, manipuations, and always making me the "bad guy".  Projections.  Ugly ugly projections. 

I am only now discovering that this family photo was taken and then given to us a month before as a couple my step daughter and her boyfriend decided to drive to another state in the middle of the night, and take his 3 year old child from the only home he'd known since birth (the maternal grandparents). 

I sometimes wonder am I dealing with a sociopath.  or...Is it anti social personality disorder?  BPD'd have empathy, I see little to none of that.

This was definetly a "we are powerful" couple shot.  A "no one is stopping us!" type of message.  There's no doubt in my mind that's what this was.  A flipping off of society/thumbing your nose at authority kind of gesture?   I am literally still processing...

b
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 04:41:27 PM by beatricex » Logged
Vincent56

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 12:19:30 PM »

Most definitely an opening, at least that's how mine is.  But not to you.  My 33 year old hasn't spoken to me for 3 1/2 years, but she sends me Mother's Day gifts, but no birthday or Christmas.  My husband gets nothing but texts when there's a crisis.  I've set boundaries way back in 2019 and since I'm not available to drag into the hole, I'm not needed.  It's ok though.  But, getting back to your comment, she's in her own world.  It all revolves around her.  She had a reason.  It makes perfect sense to her.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest