Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 05:15:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: it's going well - and I'm totally thrown off  (Read 889 times)
FirstSteps

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: November 07, 2022, 07:55:42 PM »

I'm in a very new place in my relationship with my uBDPw.  We were very much at the edge of divorce all of 2022.  Then she went to her home country for two weeks and suggested we go NC.  She continued to be "off" in communication with the kids but I enjoyed the quiet very much.

Then she came back.  I was ready to move out but instead she has been lovely for weeks.  And not seductively lovely but just solid and loving and respectful.  She has started therapy.  Started the citizenship process.  Is applying for grad school.  And, most importantly, has respected my boundaries 100%.  It's clear when she does "shift" but she has just been walking away to her studio, going on long walks or going to the movies. 

It's remarkable.  I'm well aware this is only 3 weeks worth.  But I find myself having hope for the first time in years.

Now I'm having trouble adjusting to the calm.  If she looks unhappy, I have that caretaker urge to jump in.  I'm responding to kindness but not taking my own space.  She is pushing me to take space, which is dangerous because that backfires.

And I'm totally uncertain on how to move forward.  Do I talk about us?  Her therapy?  How do I initiate even kissing?  (We're only hugging right now)  It all feels terrifying.

I know I need more than 3 weeks of proof.  But what do others do when it's going well?  It's a funny question to ask! 
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

HisHarmonicGirl

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: living together

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2022, 10:04:13 PM »

Maybe treat it almost like a new relationship. So kiss her as you'd have your first kiss with someone new. 3 weeks is a great start and it might be good to ask how you can support her. This way she can bring up what she has learned in therapy if she wishes.
FirstSteps

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 11:51:47 PM »

Thanks - that's really good advice.  I had a therapy session today where my therapist had somewhat the same approach.  Just let it sit.  Don't take anything fast.  Get months of proof of change.  And since I have rushed into most of my serious relationships, this is a good skill for me to learn Smiling (click to insert in post)
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 11:38:48 AM »

Time will tell if this is a lasting behavioral change. Enjoy it now, but be vigilant.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 06:40:15 PM »

Did you write this before the incident at the school with the sped teacher? That doesn't sound as if all is good -- just not directed at you.

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
15years

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 06:51:10 AM »

Did you write this before the incident at the school with the sped teacher? That doesn't sound as if all is good -- just not directed at you.

I think you might be thinking about my situation Smiling (click to insert in post)
SaltyDawg

Relationship status: Moderately High Conflict Marriage (improving)

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 08:27:52 AM »

For the moment, I am in a similar boat as you, but not quite as calm.  There has been some minor setbacks here and there, but nothing like it has been in the past.

With the aid of therapists, I have set and am maintaining firm boundaries [loss of control for her].  In return, she set some too -- amazingly enough these boundaries were the next ones that I was going to implement, I told her "I love those boundaries, they work best when they go 'both-ways'!" -- she gave me a nasty glare but then apparently understood these would further reduce her triggers, and my reactive ones too.  Therapy does work, I think her individual T is doing an amazing job [after I enlightened her with my concerns that I know my uBPDw knew about -- her violent tendencies; however, I didn't mention the ones that she didn't know about -- I will have to plan another meeting to address those once things have stabilized a bit more].

This has stopped the violence, and has dramatically reduced the threat of violence -- easy low hanging fruit from a Therapy viewpoint.
No rages for over a month. Way to go! (click to insert in post)  She is now recognizing her triggers and is actively avoiding them. Way to go! (click to insert in post)

There was one suicide ideation and it lasted for less than 5 minutes a few days ago, but it wasn't a full blown threat / attempt like in the past.  Other forms of verbal / emotional / psychological abuse is dramatically reduced, but still present at dramatically reduced levels.

However, she has done another threat of divorce, and that is very triggering for me (as I have my own abandonment issues not related to BPD) so she is trying to regain some of the control that she has lost.

We have had conversations, that involved negative emotions (anger, distrust, resentment, disappointments) without splitting - amazing - I have never experienced this before with her with negative emotions.

However, on the flip side of the coin, she is also controlling the positive emotions as well, and for the time being has suppressed them completely.

Like you, there is no kissing, and I am 'allowed' to give her a hug in the morning with permission, and only if she feels like it.  She is very much controlling by her 'withholding affection' at all levels.  Hopefully, with a bit of therapy, some will return -- only time will tell.

At least it is giving her tools to better handle her emotions around the children which are benefitting the most from this. Love it! (click to insert in post)

Made a lot of major progress in the past month +, but we got a long way to go.

I've read on another site, once there is an initial remission [I am looking at it as 'suppression'] of symptoms/traits these typically lasts around a year before it needs to be addressed again with another year of therapy.

bluebutterflies

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2022, 06:26:24 AM »

I've been through a few of these myself. For context, my H and I got married in March and things went downhill from there, lots of intense month long splitting/silent treatment.

In person, the first calm period lasted 3 days. The second one was calm for a month before he got triggered. Third one also a month. I'm in my fourth one and its been 3 weeks. In between the third and fourth one, he accepted that he needs help and signed up for therapy, etc etc.

I can tell you what I regret doing, hopefully that can help. I regret jumping into physical intimacy too soon. Even now, I regretted kissing him on the forehead. While I want us to be comfortable, to be honest for me the comfort led to him getting emotionally comfortable and ready to lash out again. To be clear, unless a person with BPD has done DBT and learned to work through their emotions and trigger, in general they will continue the cycle of push/pull, idealization/devaluing/possible discard.

I regret not setting some form of checkins. Checkins to ask how he is feeling, how we are doing, what our plans are. For me, I enjoyed the pleasant times too much and didn't instill enough accountability (which can still be loving!). In the past we did nightly gratitudes and I hope to continue them again.

I regret not suggesting things like podcasts to listen to, anything that can help the relationship like Esther Perel, etc.

I regret not asking what to do when he splits again, and for us both to develop a safety/emergency plan.

I basically regret getting too comfortable, and not communicating as much as we could have. To be clear, we did talk a lot about things going on in our lives and our feelings, but we talked less about what happened. My goal was to keep things steady as far as I can and esp so he can start therapy, and I did not succeed.

These are all of my regrets, they are not necessarily suggestions as we are two different people with different experiences. For you, it sounds like things are well and only you can do what you feel is best and comfortable for you.

What I DID do however: I shared how proud I am of him to start therapy, I shared how much I hoped we could work, I shared my deepest darkest feelings and he accepted them. We spent more quality time together, we switched things that weren't working, to work for us.
FirstSteps

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 05:57:33 PM »

These perspectives were really helpful.  They helped me temper my enthusiasm, and I did not rush into affection as my uBPDw clearly wanted on and off.

She had several times where she dysregulated but managed to walk it off or leave and come back ok - but with increasing difficulty.

Then two days ago, after I asked a simple question that was apparently loaded due to conversations she'd had with the kids (it was about throwing some food away), she snapped.

It's been calm - I immediately left the room and sent non-JADE but firm messages.  But now she is giving me the silent treatment and sending me messages that I'm giving her the silent treatment - that sort of thing.

I'm in a dead end here.  I refuse to have a conversation because I don't feel safe and I've laid down some conditions of stability to see a therapist.  And she's mirroring all this back at me. 

I want to make the holidays work - and I'm still in shock that it snapped so fast after six good weeks (though I know I shouldn't have been surprised).

But I also don't want to give in to the chaos again or apologize for something I didn't do.  I feel outplayed.  But I'm going to stay firm and I've got therapy tomorrow and my therapist is very good at setting me straight on setting my boundaries.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest