Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 09:26:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maybe a good sign?  (Read 674 times)
thepixies21

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: January 29, 2023, 03:03:46 PM »

I just wanted to write this down to remember. My husband showed me an email from his therapist to help him figure out goals for his partial hospitalization, which starts tomorrow. And the goals she recommended were all essentially the criteria for borderline personality disorder. She talked about how they have been working on depression, anxiety, and trauma and childhood abuse, but she is wondering if they might be “missing something”. She talked about his feelings of emptiness, fears of abandonment, strong emotions that are difficult to manage, difficulties keeping relationships, self harm thoughts, and trouble finding any way to deal with his emotions other than feeling paralyzed or wanting to numb them out impulsively with binging alcohol or through other means. I told him that I thought these were good goals to work on, and I asked him what he thought about what she said, and he said that he agreed with them, but that he was confused about how vague she was being, and wondered how he could turn them into actual goals. I was actually impressed with how he handled it, even though it made him anxious. She didn't way the words, and I didn't either. I don't feel right about it, I want it to come from his mental health professional. Maybe this can be worthwhile. I guess we’ll see what happens. I also wanted to cry reading the list, it’s not in my mind, she sees it too.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Pook075
Ambassador

Relationship status: Married but Separated

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 03:08:49 PM »

I just wanted to write this down to remember. My husband showed me an email from his therapist to help him figure out goals for his partial hospitalization, which starts tomorrow. And the goals she recommended were all essentially the criteria for borderline personality disorder. She talked about how they have been working on depression, anxiety, and trauma and childhood abuse, but she is wondering if they might be “missing something”. She talked about his feelings of emptiness, fears of abandonment, strong emotions that are difficult to manage, difficulties keeping relationships, self harm thoughts, and trouble finding any way to deal with his emotions other than feeling paralyzed or wanting to numb them out impulsively with binging alcohol or through other means. I told him that I thought these were good goals to work on, and I asked him what he thought about what she said, and he said that he agreed with them, but that he was confused about how vague she was being, and wondered how he could turn them into actual goals. I was actually impressed with how he handled it, even though it made him anxious. She didn't way the words, and I didn't either. I don't feel right about it, I want it to come from his mental health professional. Maybe this can be worthwhile. I guess we’ll see what happens. I also wanted to cry reading the list, it’s not in my mind, she sees it too.

Just the fact that he's seeking therapy is an awesome step in the right direction.  Progress is progress, regardless of how large or how small.  Don't expect overnight magic, of course, but keep your head up and we'll all be rooting for you/him.
cranmango

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: broken up

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 03:28:07 PM »

Yes, rooting for you both! It sounds like the therapist is being thoughtful with how they approach the topic, which is good. And knowing that other folks see it too is very validating. Hold onto this moment.
SaltyDawg

Relationship status: Moderately High Conflict Marriage (improving)

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2023, 12:45:30 AM »

Me three too. 

He is 'self-aware' and he has the will to do something about it - both must be present for a recovery, and it sounds like both are present!

Way to go! (click to insert in post)

Major step in the right direction.  I am happy for you.

However, there will be setbacks.  Just look at the 'big' picture, if the line is generally trending upward it is a good thing. 

It could look like 1 step forward, 3 steps forwards, 2 steps forward, 5 steps backwards, 1 step forward, 4 steps forward, 4 steps backwards - that is how it is looking for me.  General upward trend of a net of 2 steps forward at the moment.  I hope this changes for me, and I will encourage change in my pwBPD.  Mine only accepts anger management issues.

If you are an active participant there is a 98% probability of it being mostly successful; however, if you aren't that number drops significantly to about 60%.

Be sure to do self-care, it will be stressful, and it will not be easy.

I wish you luck with prayers, take care.

Outdorenthusiast

Relationship status: Married - uBPDw

The road is narrow…

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2023, 07:17:32 AM »

I guess we’ll see what happens. I also wanted to cry reading the list, it’s not in my mind, she sees it too.

I am so happy for both of you!    Virtual hug (click to insert in post)  It is definitely a path that has lots of whipsaw feelings for both of you.  As for hope - in my case the extremes seem to be dramatically less, and she is more cognizant of not exploding or trying to kill herself.  Also, she seems to be self analyzing a lot more and does say sorry and recognize afterwards when she was being inappropriate.  The hard part as being the SO is watching her tackle her childhood demons.  Necessary, but difficult - space is required for them to process all the feelings and their functionality in the real world in my case drops precipitously.  I am in that phase now and she is like a zombie, and I have to pick up a lot of slack and there is nothing you can do but watch and give hugs.  It is scary to watch, but it is a journey and I don’t mind supporting to get her to the objective of functional and non abusive.  Keep talking!
thepixies21

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 12:06:36 PM »

Thanks everyone! This has been a bumpy road, but as long as he's willing to better himself I'm hoping there's a chance things could get better.

I was actually kind of proud of myself today, he was saying that he was too anxious and was having stomach problems so he couldn't attend the program today, and asked what I thought. I told him that I couldn't decide that for him, it needs to be his choice. I would have never said that before, I think I would have said "I guess you can stay home", and then felt really resentful all day. But I let him make the choice, and I went to work. And he went! Good things happen when I mind my own business I guess. :-)
SaltyDawg

Relationship status: Moderately High Conflict Marriage (improving)

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 07:40:55 PM »

I was actually kind of proud of myself today, he was saying that he was too anxious and was having stomach problems so he couldn't attend the program today, and asked what I thought. I told him that I couldn't decide that for him, it needs to be his choice. I would have never said that before, I think I would have said "I guess you can stay home", and then felt really resentful all day. But I let him make the choice, and I went to work. And he went! Good things happen when I mind my own business I guess. :-)
When I read this, I was thinking 'uh-oh' it looks like he is going to fail, and then much to my surprise you said, 'he went!'.  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

You need to give him positive reinforcement for this.  At a minimum tell him how proud you are of him.  Ideally a hug, and possibly a kiss too.  They need affirmation, even for small victories.

Borderline's typically have the emotional stability of a 5 year old, and you need to use similar methods of reinforcement while being genuine.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest