Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 09:39:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contacting her therapist  (Read 330 times)
CaptainCat

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: March 18, 2023, 11:45:14 AM »

Feels like the wrong thing to do. I was recently split on with zero fault  of my own. Partner had not delt with a situation while out shopping, with someone they split on years ago. She came home from the shops and was out of control. After calming things she went into a spiral for weeks, talking about suicide. Zero intimacy with me and then decide to tell me things where over between us. After she told me this, it was like a huge relief for her. Instantly better.

She was diagnosed in November. Was to start dbt but has only went to one session. When u ask her about therapy she says she's doing lots of work on her own and will be going to her therapist soon

I am wondering if it was OK to talk with her therapist. I beleive she's not given her therapist half of what's going on. Is it over stepping to see if her therapist would listen to my side. I'm not looking for any insight. Just for the therapist to listen. As I feel I have nobody or any help in making my wife see sence

I'm just working on myself as I know full well there is zero hope in even trying to show my wife thst she just didn't handle her trigger and has split me
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Rev
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced and now happily remarried.

The surest way to fail is to never try.

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 02:07:31 PM »

Bad ... bad ... bad idea.

I'd add that where I live any therapist that would agree to talk with you without expressed written consent including the goal of the conversation would be subject to having a professional review and possible suspension.

Rev
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 03:28:50 PM by Rev » Logged
86steelers50

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 08:33:30 PM »

Actually, I learned in NAMI that it is fine for you to send an email or leave a message for the therapist as a concerned loved one.  The therapist shouldn't reply (as is  expected), but there is nothing that says you cannot contact them.  They can take any information that you have to help your loved one.  I agree with Rev, that if the therapist were to talk with you about her treatments or her condition without her signing the Hippa forms and the releases, that is wrong.  But, no.  YOU contacting THEM is not wrong.  To treat your wife successfully, the more information they have, the better chance they have.
Pook075
Ambassador

Relationship status: Married but Separated

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 08:29:15 AM »

Actually, I learned in NAMI that it is fine for you to send an email or leave a message for the therapist as a concerned loved one.  The therapist shouldn't reply (as is  expected), but there is nothing that says you cannot contact them.  They can take any information that you have to help your loved one.  I agree with Rev, that if the therapist were to talk with you about her treatments or her condition without her signing the Hippa forms and the releases, that is wrong.  But, no.  YOU contacting THEM is not wrong.  To treat your wife successfully, the more information they have, the better chance they have.

Welcome Cat.  We're all very sorry you're going through this.

I'll echo what others have said, it's a bad idea to try to see that therapist.  It's fine to message them to provide info, but it can't be a 2-way conversation unless your partner invites you.  Why?  Because if the therapist were to bring up something you said, your partner would walk out and never trust them again.  It would have the exact opposite effect of what you're trying to do.

However, you should see a different therapist to talk this out.  You're facing trauma right now and it's healthy to get professional help.  We all have and it made a big difference.
Rev
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced and now happily remarried.

The surest way to fail is to never try.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 08:44:02 AM »

Welcome Cat.  We're all very sorry you're going through this.

I'll echo what others have said, it's a bad idea to try to see that therapist.  It's fine to message them to provide info, but it can't be a 2-way conversation unless your partner invites you.  Why?  Because if the therapist were to bring up something you said, your partner would walk out and never trust them again.  It would have the exact opposite effect of what you're trying to do.

However, you should see a different therapist to talk this out.  You're facing trauma right now and it's healthy to get professional help.  We all have and it made a big difference.

Really sorry. Completely disagree without the notion of contacting a therapist without the consent of the person in therapy.

It's a major boundary issue and disrespectful to the therapeutic alliance between therapist and client.

If the therapist needs to know the opinion of another person they'll ask.

I too am sorry for what you are going through and highly agree that the best approach is to go work stuff out with your own therapist and then if you still feel the need to share your thoughts - get the okay of your partner.  

I'd really encourage you to think this through from many angles.  I'd really hate to see a bad situation become worse.

Hang in there.

Reach out any time

Rev
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 04:15:39 PM »

Hi CaptainCat, just joining with everyone else to welcome you to the group  Welcome new member (click to insert in post)

What you're going through is really difficult. It's common to be in a place where we're pretty sure that the pwBPD (person with BPD) in our lives isn't giving the full story to others. The "others" can be therapists, other family members, children, you name it. And it can feel like the stakes are high.

I see that you're here on the "Bettering a relationship" board -- sounds like you want to try some different ways forward, ways to maybe make your marriage less bad, and hopefully better? And you are wondering if you sharing information your W's therapist could help your W see things differently -- is that accurate?

While there are different perspectives on contacting your W's therapist, both in terms of legality and in terms of whether it could make things better or worse, what I think we can all agree on is that you finding a therapist of your own will be incredibly helpful as you navigate this new situation (coping with the recent diagnosis).

It makes a lot of sense that you would want to do anything to make things better, to get real help for your W. One thing that has stuck out to me over the years of being on this site, is that when we're dealing with a pwBPD, the tools and skills that can make things better are often non-intuitive and have to be learned. "Normal" moves, "normal" beliefs, and "normal" communication tools can sometimes backfire when we're interacting with a pwBPD.

So, in a "normal" marriage conflict, it might work to do some of what we call JADE-ing (Justifying, Arguing, Defending, Explaining). The pwBPD in my life is my husband's kids' mom (not my husband), and I have spent so much time crafting emails/texts to her, that I forget that my H is pretty normal, and that Explaining things to him can make things better! However, if I try to Explain to her why she should support the kids doing XYZ, or if I try to Justify it to her, or Defend that what we did was fine, that is like adding fuel to a fire.

A "normal" idea like "if someone could just explain to her why she is wrong, she will see the light and change" generally won't apply to a pwBPD, as BPD is kind of like a "brain wiring" disorder that impacts perceptions, worldview, and ability to see that one's feelings aren't necessarily facts. Your W may need a much longer timeline, with a lot of trust-building, to be able to hear that kind of thing at all from anyone, and especially from someone she's close to, and have it make an impact. Many pwBPD struggle with deep shame and so "setting them straight" or "telling them the facts" or "getting someone to show them they're wrong" can end up with the pwBPD even more defensive and argumentative against it than before.

There is hope, though. No matter what she does or doesn't do, or says or doesn't say, in therapy, you have 100% control over the support and resources you find for yourself. This message board is a great one, so is a therapist of your own, and so are the articles and workshops we have about the non-intuitive tools and skills it can take to be in a relationship with a pwBPD. A couple of them came to mind for you -- you can check out our Tips section on When a partner, spouse or girlfriend has Borderline Personality Disorder, and also our Tools, like this article on Communication Skills - Don't Be Invalidating. Definitely let us know your thoughts on those resources.

I really get it that BPD can't be tackled in ways that we think are normal. That can take a bit of time to work through, but as you start trying some different ways to cope with your W's traits and behaviors, it is very possible for things to become less bad.

Keep us posted on how you're doing, and again, welcome;

kells76
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest