Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 07:44:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Splitting episodes are the worst  (Read 688 times)
Bella2798

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Together since 2013

« on: March 31, 2023, 06:18:48 AM »

This is totally a post to vent. Thank you in advance if you read it because it's nothing special!

I just feel it's so unfair that I'm the one who receives all the harsh words and can't fight back. I mean I know what's the point in fighting when my partner is not in his rational mood and even my breathing can drive him crazy? But yet I feel like I need somewhere to free myself.

Two days ago he went totally numb with me, telling that he has no feelings for me, yet he's okay with that but didn't want to be dishonest with me. I told him I appreciated his honesty, no more reactions. Went to work (yay, I've found a part time job!) And he still talked like we're fine.
Last night he blew up over nothing, telling me I make him super mad so he wants to break up. We've been struggling since then.

I'm trying to keep my boundaries (it's really difficult) and take care of myself, but made a mistake and texted him to tell he can count on my if he needed help on the project he was doing (we've managed that together since the start, but I let him do it on his own step by step and just helped him whenever he needed my help for technical stuff). It was crossing the boundaries both for myself and him.

I feel like I hate myself for not being able to keep the track and stick to what I have to do. I'm trying to not let these splitting episodes interfere with my daily life, but it's frustrating. It seems like I'm dealing with a whole new person and relationship.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Notwendy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 07:45:07 AM »

I think it's awesome that you found a part time job!

Yes, the splitting is upsetting.

This is a long distance relationship so I assume these interactions are by phone or face time?

At some point, the two of you were together - not in an LDR, but then it seems he moved for school and your family moved and now the two of you are apart?

When he says he has no feelings for you and wants to break up- what happens after that? Does he say he didn't mean it?

Did the two of you discuss a future plan to stay together and reunite when -- he finishes school, or you move? How long approximately is the long distance situation?

I am trying to figure out what he means when he says "break up". Yes, it's a relationship but he's at a distance so it's hard to know what he means about that.

Bella2798

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 09:02:18 AM »

I think it's awesome that you found a part time job!

Yes, the splitting is upsetting.

This is a long distance relationship so I assume these interactions are by phone or face time?

At some point, the two of you were together - not in an LDR, but then it seems he moved for school and your family moved and now the two of you are apart?

When he says he has no feelings for you and wants to break up- what happens after that? Does he say he didn't mean it?

Did the two of you discuss a future plan to stay together and reunite when -- he finishes school, or you move? How long approximately is the long distance situation?

I am trying to figure out what he means when he says "break up". Yes, it's a relationship but he's at a distance so it's hard to know what he means about that.

The job was kind of a miracle, and I'm so happy about that! It doesn't help me earn as much as a full time job, of course, but I guess that would be enough for me to manage, until I learn some language, or am able to find a position in an international office somewhere.

And yes, we text throughout the day and face time or call each other whenever we can.And we had plans, he even managed to keep a room in his shared apartment for me, although we preferred to live separately. I'm not sure how long it takes; it actually depends, a part on my family, and a part on my previous university, because there's a one year procedure for students to be able to receive their official documents. But I assume it wouldn't be longer than a year or so.

It's not the first time I've heard such stuff from him, mostly with a huge amount of anger toward me. Sometimes he calms down after a bit, telling me he didn't mean it. And sometimes it just goes on to the point that he says he wants to break up, and he doesn't want me to text him at all because it makes him angry. He cuts contact with me, sometimes blocking me (sometimes not, like this time), and after a few days we start speaking again.
We had talked about this before, after reconciling, but it was no use. Last time, we came to the conclusion that sometimes he feels too many emotions at once, so he can't stand being angry at me, and we thought that at these times, a bit of space could prevent the breakup. It sure didn't help as we broke up again. Smiling (click to insert in post)
Notwendy

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 11:40:38 AM »

Boundaries are for us, not them and so it's best to not declare one if you don't feel you can stick to it. Saying to him "I won't call you today" and then calling him just shows him the boundary isn't really one.

On the other hand if it's something you want to do for you, don't say anything and just do it. If you don't think you can do a whole day then try an hour, or two hours or it's also possible you need to have a support person to help- maybe a friend you can call when you feel the urge to call him to help you stick to your boundary.

If you just can't - then it's where you are at. No need for self criticism, as I think most people are trying to do their best in their situations. There's no way to control what he says or does. It would be good if it didn't bother you as much but it does because you don't want to lose the relationship and his saying he wants to break up is scary for you. The job is a good thing and also can take your focus off your feelings for a while while he deals with his.
Bella2798

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2023, 12:21:38 PM »

Thank you Notwendy, I feel better about myself now. The splitting thing really triggers my anxiety I guess and that's why I find it hard to not text him. It's both better for me and him to keep low profile these times, I don't want to hear more hurtful words and he doesn't need more anger.

Unfortunately I don't have many supportive friends in this, although I have two close friends whom I know for years. But maybe I ask one of them for help.
Bella2798

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2023, 02:56:30 AM »

Funny thing he texted me today, apologizing for his past behaviors and being passive-aggressive, but told me he doesn't know if he wants to break up or not, yet doesn't want us to talk for a long time because he'll lose control of his life even when he comes to his phone for an hour. Again told me I shouldn't be waiting for him because he'll probably break up after this time and he assumes we've already. (Which one at last?)

I know he has this issue and spend a lot of time on his phone exploring through his social medias, even when we weren't talking.

It can be a good opportunity for me to get more familiar with my new job and also do some research on fear of engulfment as I was thinking this could be his trigger this time.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 03:05:10 AM by Bella2798 » Logged
Notwendy

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2023, 05:59:25 AM »

The splitting thing really triggers my anxiety I guess and that's why I find it hard to not text him.

This is a very important insight, and I think it's something to pay attention to- the sticking point that keeps the two of you in this drama. Note- I am not talking about the relationship staying or ending- that isn't what this is about. You are quite clear that you want this relationship. It's that there's emotional drama that upsets you. This idea is about your part in it.

We all have a part in the interactions between two people. One interesting thing that I read about relationships is that we "match" our partners emotionally in some way- we are equally enmeshed in ways. Even though it's your partner who has the BPD and you don't- there's something that is holding the two of you in this situation that upsets you.

You can't change how someone thinks or feels, or their behavior. You can change your response to it. Learning about being "triggered"- we speak of these as if they are something someone else does to us, as if we are passive victims of being triggered. But someone can't trigger us if we don't have the ability to be triggered. This is our emotional response- and we do have control over that.

How do we change that? Change your part, change your reactions. It's not easy work and maybe not perfect but it can make a difference in how you are feeling. Rather than focus on what is going on with your partner and why- focus on your anxiety and learn ways to manage it. It helps to look at feeling triggered not as something that someone does to someone else, but that- the trigger belongs to the person who feels triggered and rather than see this happening as a negative thing, it's an opportunity.

If you feel triggered, it's a signal to stop the interaction at the moment, and learn to calm yourself down rather than react. It's a signal to do some self care. Rather than react with hurt or emotion, calmly say "I think I need a moment to think about this, I will call you back later" then stop the conversation- because you know it's not going to go anywhere good while you are upset, then do some self care- listen to music, take a break, until you have calmed down and feel better.

If you need support with the anxiety, counseling can help. It's the part you have control over. What is the sticking point between the two of you? He is "using" you to manage his own emotions. You are calling him to manage your anxiety- that is also using him to manage your emotions. The key to changing this is not to try to control your feelings by understanding him better- it's to work on being better at regulating your own emotions so that you can stay calm even if he's not.

He may have BPD but that doesn't mean he doesn't have choices or his own decisions. If he tells you he wants to not talk as often, he could actually mean that. If you keep calling him after he says that, consider that a boundary violation- he said to not call him. Although you feel anxious not calling him, he can have boundaries too. He keeps bringing up breaking up which is understandably scary to you but truly, all relationships have this possibility. It's possible that he means it, but if he doesn't- why would he keep brining this up? Perhaps because of the emotional exchange.  It's familiar, it gets attention.

When he says "don't call me so often" you can say " well I will miss talking to you but I hear what you are saying and so how about you call me when you feel ready to? I'll look forward to your call, love you, bye" - then you hang up and take care of you.

When he says "I think I need to, or might, break up with you" you can reply "well I'd feel sad about that, but please let me know what you decide. I need to get back at work now. Love you, bye" and get off the phone before you react emotionally.

He says "don't wait for him" - well don't. Neither of you can change your situation right now. He's in classes. You have a new job. This doesn't mean you have to break up or meet someone else. It means- you have a certain amount of time apart- you can do things you enjoy or you can sit around thinking about him. He's going to be in school regardless so this choice is yours to make. So yes, invest some time in the job, and on your own self care.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest