Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 08:08:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Parents! Get help here!
Saying "I need help" is a huge first step. Here is what to do next.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First post  (Read 322 times)
PuzzledHere
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw
Relationship status: Married

« on: April 21, 2023, 01:00:01 AM »

First post
Our son's wife has BPD. She's making his life awfully difficult. He's hanging in there, but some days are better than others.
The whole situation is so difficult. It changes from day to day, thanks to our daughter in law, and the problems show no sign of resolving or going away.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 09:46:39 AM »

Hi PuzzledHere, welcome to the group  Welcome new member (click to insert in post) glad you found us for some support. Being an "observer" to the dysfunction between a loved one and a pwBPD is so hard. You just want to get in there and make it better, but the disorder can be so intense.

You mention that your son is hanging in there... do you guys talk regularly? Stay in touch? Do you live near him?

I get what you're saying about the situation changing day-to-day, depending on her. BPD can be characterized by harmfully intense, widely varying emotions, where the person experiencing the emotions sees them as facts about the world -- i.e., "if I feel like you hurt me, then it's a fact that you hurt me" (even if nothing happened). So disorienting.

And yes, something really difficult about BPD is that so often, the pwBPD (person with BPD) sees others as the cause of any problems. So, due to deep, disabling shame, she can't let herself see that she contributes to the issues, and so that makes it really hard to resolve conflicts -- like you're noticing.

Do your S & DIL have any kids? If so, how old are they, and how are they doing?

PuzzledHere, as you settle in and make yourself at home, feel free to check out our "Tips" section on When a teen or adult child has Borderline Personality Disorder -- even though the title is about a child with BPD, many of the articles will apply when it's a DIL, too.

We can walk with you as you find new ways to support your S without engaging in the drama and conflict. Many members here have "been there done that".

Keep us posted on how things are going, and again, welcome;

kells76
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest