Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 12:59:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DELUSIONS - how to communicate  (Read 486 times)
Far Far
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Granddaughter

« on: May 07, 2023, 08:36:49 PM »

My 21 year old granddaughter has had BPD "forever", but now is lost in a world of delusions as well. She has been banned from her homes for about 2 weeks now and has VERY temporary housing in a shelter.

I am the only family member she currently trusts and has open contact with.
I visit and talk to her, but I cannot break through the delusions in order to be of help.
We are both DBT aware, but she can't practice them in her state of mind. My skills and our history have kept her from splitting me into the "abusive family camp".

Hospitalization has already failed.

I need help and information on DBT and delusions. It has already been over a month since she went over the top, but I believe she's been building up to it for a long time.

I'm mostly afraid that this will go on forever and all her life will be an unspeakable hell of street life. She is SO smart, but all of her time and energy is given over to surviving and maintaining her delusional world. And of course, having BPD isn't even on her radar.

I ill stop here for now, but I am as stuck as she is at the moment.

Even if the worst happens in her life, I'll still need help and consolation for myself and my exhausted broken family.
It's good to be here...
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2013; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2023, 09:54:09 PM »

What are her delusions, and is there substance abuse?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
MLA1

Relationship status: adult child estranged from family

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 07:19:24 PM »

I'm so sorry you are going through this, and I get it.

My son has built up delusions that his family has been victimizing him and believes things happened that never ever ever happened. Like he is telling people that he was beaten unconscious and we did nothing - just let him suffer. never happened. He used to have one person who was his target of blame. Now everybody is on that list - for things that are just made up. He has made up symptoms of ADHD so he could get on a stimulant, which he got, but he never had any of the symptoms. ever. This has made things worse.

It is extremely scary... you are not alone.

If you have any connection to the clinicians, you might reach out to them (copying your daughter of course so she feels included, and share your concerns. Perhaps they can help. If you have already tried that, your best shot is to keep injecting accuracy where you can. Maybe at some point she will accept the antipsychotics, which is probably what she needs.
Far Far
Fewer than 3 Posts

Relationship status: Granddaughter

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 12:10:47 PM »

MLA1,
Your reply does help me feel less alone, thank you. (I hope this gets to you, I'm having trouble finding my way through this site!)

The situation has progressed in the last weeks, but we are back to the same stuck places for getting her housing and mental health care.

Can you advise me on whether I should continue this thread or start a new post?
I'm now looking for others who 1)
 have tried commitment for delusions,  and 2) have gotten DBT based residential treatment for their loved one.
Maybe that's two different posts?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest