Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 20, 2024, 08:06:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there any way to contact my BPD ex without causing damage?  (Read 329 times)
Pilgrim10
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: SIngle

« on: June 02, 2023, 04:57:54 PM »

For background, my ex and I broke up about two weeks ago. For a long time (over a year) we had an amazing relationship. A few bumps here or there, but nothing out of the ordinary. It only became turbulent in the last couple of months. She would lash out at me for doing what I thought were normal behaviors - inviting a friend to have dinner at my house, inviting her to watch a game with my family, etc. Anything related to my friends or family caused some kind of reaction in her. Every time she got upset she would say I triggered her abandonment issues. During the resulting fights I would desperately attempt to win her back as she would spiral further - shutting down completely to the point of ignoring me or threatening to break up with me.

I had no idea she had BPD at this time. And truthfully, she is still undiagnosed, this is just the conclusion I have come to since we broke up. All the signs are there - deep abandonment issues, intense mood swings, making me prove my commitment to her, quick changes from love to hate. Our relationship followed the BPD relationship cycle to a T.

So I am fairly confident she has BPD as a result of my research. When one of our fights boiled over (I told her I did not want to go on a weekend trip, for financial reasons) I realized just how emotionally exhausted I was, and how I had been walking on eggshells with her for months, trying to keep the peace. This particular fight was way worse than the others - nothing I said seemed to calm her down. Eventually, she sent me a breakup text, detailing all the reasons we were incompatible and why she wanted to break up. At that point I was already heartbroken and hurt, so I had nothing left in me to fight. I agreed to break up with her.

At first, it was quiet. She asked me to mail her key back to her, and told me she was going to block me to avoid the temptation to reach out. I told her I would mail the key, and wished her good luck. From there, things spiraled out of control. She began contacting me on every platform she could, asking if we could fix the relationship. I was so distraught and vulnerable I had already committed to no contact with her, so I kept blocking her on all platforms.

It only got worse from there. She began messaging me using random phone numbers. The messages became more frantic, and more abusive as she tried desperately to get me to come back to her. She insulted me, attacked my character, played with my insecurities, and issued ultimatums. She said I had until X days to get back with her because she had scheduled a first date for that night. The messages kept coming for about a week. I considered a new phone, or a restraining order. Finally, though, they stopped. She cooled off, and sent a couple final messages. This time they were loving, apologetic, and hopeful. She admitted that her issues played a major role in all this, and that she wants to get better. Her last message ended on a positive note, and was loving.

Since she sent that message I have been itching to contact her. I want closure, I want her to know that I still love her, and that I am sorry things ended the way they did. I want her to know that I, too, have issues, and they contributed to the end, and I have started working on them too. I have already been to therapy.

My question to this forum is this: I feel extremely bad about going complete no contact with her, and not having a chance to explain what happened, from my perspective. I would like an opportunity to do that, and to say goodbye to her now that we have both cooled down. My reservation is that if she is truly bpd, and there is a strong chance she is, would it be completely detrimental to her healing process, and mine, to talk right now? Is a clean, contactless break the best thing to do, or should I pursue closure to hopefully end things on a less sour note?

Any advice is appreciated.
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 05:32:54 PM »

Welcome

My question to this forum is this: I feel extremely bad about going complete no contact with her, and not having a chance to explain what happened, from my perspective. I would like an opportunity to do that, and to say goodbye to her now that we have both cooled down. My reservation is that if she is truly bpd, and there is a strong chance she is, would it be completely detrimental to her healing process, and mine, to talk right now? Is a clean, contactless break the best thing to do, or should I pursue closure to hopefully end things on a less sour note?

as disappointing as this may sound, there isnt a right answer here. the right answer, essentially, is what you feel best about. what is in line with your values. i think we can certainly help you to sort out what that is.

for me personally, im not a fan of ghosting, or cutting people off. i know situations differ, and certainly, there are exceptions, whether temporary, or permanent. its something i wasnt happy about, but felt that i had to do once in my life. it sounds like something you felt was necessary at the time, but may not be necessary anymore, do i have that right?

so, there are concerns here. shes shown shes very capable of losing her cool, sending strings of abusive messages, and shes shown that she will up the ante in order to be heard. thats all fairly common with, though not limited to, bpd. only you know if theres the potential for more than that; it doesnt sound like you consider that as a major concern. but the risk of any of those things happening again is certainly there.

while i cant speak for her, its hard to see where a reach out in and of itself would be detrimental to her healing. there is, of course, the possibility that when you do, she will not feel the way she did when she reached out last, or that you pick a bad time, or that she doesnt want to hear from you at this point, but only she can know that.

as for your healing, i guess i would ask "whats the worst that could happen".

probably the worst that could happen is she could become upset and start saying hurtful things. if you cut her off, theres a good possibility shed up the ante in trying to contact you and say her piece. possibly, she could push to get back together. she could also decide not to respond at all.

so, the question is really, how would those things, if they happened, affect your healing?

it isnt the only question though. its not necessarily the most important one either.

what many of us think of as this ideal form of closure from a breakup, is more the exception than the norm.

Excerpt
I feel extremely bad about going complete no contact with her, and not having a chance to explain what happened, from my perspective. I would like an opportunity to do that,

most post breakup contact is either logistical exchanges (belongings, mail, etc), or just a continuation of the conflict from the relationship. theres a very fine line i think, between the opportunity to "end on a less sour note" (which usually, most people tend to be open to once the ice thaws) and "explaining what happened, from your perspective".

the two of you are going to have differing perspectives. those perspectives may even change many times as you heal. probably the easiest way to trigger someone with bpd (or anyone really) is to invalidate their perspective. i suspect, at this point, the two of you have done a great deal of that to each other through conflict. i would guess that on both of your best days, wounds are still raw.

so, i think if you are leaning toward having this conversation with her (i personally would be), id narrowly define what my goal is, and with the understanding that some form of positive closure is probably achievable, but almost certainly not on my terms.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
capecodling

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 07:15:18 PM »

While I agree with a lot of the response above, I think you will end up being sorry if you initiate any contact with her.   It will likely result in her trying to get you back, followed by another cycle.  Each new cycle will take a greater and greater toll on you than the previous one.   Some people never escape, it just goes on and on forever, until you are a burnt out shell of your former self.  

That disclaimer out of the way, if you just can't help it and need to answer all of the unanswered questions you have rattling around in your head, I would encourage you to educate yourself as much as possible about BPD and also make a deal with yourself that you can only reach out to her when you find yourself in a position of strength ----- like you feel like your life is good and you are a 10 out of 10 in terms of emotional well being.   If you reach out from a position of weakness the BPD will sense it and gut you like a fish.  
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest