Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 02:42:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Struggling to support partner  (Read 357 times)
breadhead27

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: dating

« on: January 10, 2024, 10:58:54 AM »

Hi there, I've been dating someone with bpd for three months now and gotten to a point where every couple of days there seems to be an argument. The last couple have blown up and resulted in her wanting space, and then me wanting space and then her backtracking on wanting the space. I thought it was best to break up as she sought counselling but she now feels abandoned. My friends say I need to cut it off but everything I read about bpd says otherwise and she is truly such a lovely person she's just struggling. The issue is that I was secure at the start but I've fallen back  into an anxious attachment style I once had years ago due to the conflicts being quite chaotic. I know my part in them, I've become insecure. I also have ADHD so I can be impulsive in my thinking and need to learn to slow down. I like to think I'm quite self-aware but in those moments I just completely forget about her bpd, like I'm in fight or flight. If anyone has any advice to give it would help. We've agreed to meet once a week for a walk to slow things down whilst we both attend therapy for our separate issues.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Pook075
Ambassador

Relationship status: Married but Separated

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 12:05:33 PM »

Hi there, I've been dating someone with bpd for three months now and gotten to a point where every couple of days there seems to be an argument. The last couple have blown up and resulted in her wanting space, and then me wanting space and then her backtracking on wanting the space. I thought it was best to break up as she sought counselling but she now feels abandoned. My friends say I need to cut it off but everything I read about bpd says otherwise and she is truly such a lovely person she's just struggling. The issue is that I was secure at the start but I've fallen back  into an anxious attachment style I once had years ago due to the conflicts being quite chaotic. I know my part in them, I've become insecure. I also have ADHD so I can be impulsive in my thinking and need to learn to slow down. I like to think I'm quite self-aware but in those moments I just completely forget about her bpd, like I'm in fight or flight. If anyone has any advice to give it would help. We've agreed to meet once a week for a walk to slow things down whilst we both attend therapy for our separate issues.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Could you clarify what you mean by "My friends say I need to cut it off but everything I read about bpd says otherwise..."  What have you read?

BPD is a mental illness that requires a different type of communication when a partner becomes dysregulated.  Have you spoken to your therapist about that?
breadhead27

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 09:45:31 AM »

Basically the behaviours have become quite a lot for me and I've become roped into the drama and need to take a step back. My friends are saying I deserve better but I know her behaviours stem from trauma. At the same time I need time to centre myself but she is struggling with even meeting once a week as she is taking that as me abandoning her. So I'm trying to balance giving myself space and not triggering her abandonment issues. A lot of blame is being thrown at me and it's difficult to say anything without it being torn apart. I get that I need to communicate differently but I'm struggling with what that is, everything I say seems to cause her offence and when I ask her to take accountability she acts sarcastically. If I give her the space she gets triggered and when we spend the time together and argue she gets triggered so I'm left unsure of what to do. I know it's on me to understand how to navigate these situations but I'm kind of at a loss as to how
breadhead27

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2024, 09:46:27 AM »

And no I'm starting therapy once I get paid in a week so haven't been able to ask anyone yet
breadhead27

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2024, 09:46:48 AM »

Also thanks for getting back to me
breadhead27

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2024, 09:49:43 AM »

I've read loads of articles about it and downloaded a bpd app. I think my issue is that I take everything she says when she's dysregulated as a personal attack because it is quite insensitive  some of the things she  says. I just want to learn how to navigate those moments because otherwise it's a loving relationship.
Rev
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced and now happily remarried.

The surest way to fail is to never try.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2024, 09:58:23 AM »

I've read loads of articles about it and downloaded a bpd app. I think my issue is that I take everything she says when she's dysregulated as a personal attack because it is quite insensitive  some of the things she  says. I just want to learn how to navigate those moments because otherwise it's a loving relationship.

Hi Breadhead,

Great goal.  Could you provide an example with a "I said, then she said" script?  (Called a verbatim).  That will give us something concrete to work off of.

Rev
Pook075
Ambassador

Relationship status: Married but Separated

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2024, 02:02:51 PM »

Let's work through this a little bit to see if it helps.

Basically the behaviours have become quite a lot for me and I've become roped into the drama and need to take a step back.

Drama is a hallmark of BPD relationships and it stems from insecurity in the relationship.  The closer you get, the more present it will be as her fears escalate.

My friends are saying I deserve better but I know her behaviors stem from trauma.

You're correct and it's good that you can show empathy for her situation, but you also have to realize that your friends have a valid point as well.  Her trauma defines how she builds relationships and it is not your fault...it's not a "you thing" to fix.

At the same time I need time to centre myself but she is struggling with even meeting once a week as she is taking that as me abandoning her. So I'm trying to balance giving myself space and not triggering her abandonment issues.

Have you expressed these feelings to her?  And if so, what was her response? 

With BPD, there's a clear push/pull dynamic where the relationship is always in flux.  One of the coined phrases from an author on the subject is, "I hate you...don't leave me!"

A lot of blame is being thrown at me and it's difficult to say anything without it being torn apart. I get that I need to communicate differently but I'm struggling with what that is, everything I say seems to cause her offence and when I ask her to take accountability she acts sarcastically.

If I said to you, "My foot hurts", how would you respond?

Your answer to your girlfriend should be the same as how you'd respond to me.  However, with your girlfriend and BPD, maybe she doesn't say 'my foot hurts'...maybe she says 'you never listen to me' instead.  The goal is to focus on the emotions she's feeling and respond to that, the source of those emotions.  The words are the way she expresses those feelings in the moment and they are often out of context.  Rarely will she say what she's actually feeling...so you focus on the emotions behind the words to comfort her and get out of the stress/drama of the moment.

If I give her the space she gets triggered and when we spend the time together and argue she gets triggered so I'm left unsure of what to do. I know it's on me to understand how to navigate these situations but I'm kind of at a loss as to how

You change the dynamic by doing what I said above.  Stop arguing over senseless things and get to the bottom of what's really happening.  You do that with affirming statements...I'm here for you, I love you, how do we work through this together?  That helps reduce the intensity and allows you to talk about what actually matters.

The flip side of that is what we usually do because it feels natural.  She's angry or upset and says something hurtful.  We defend ourselves and things escalate in her mind, causing that fight or flight response to skyrocket.  So more nastiness is said and more responses make the situation even more unstable.  Now someone is crying or yelling (or worse), and a small problem turns into a bar room brawl. 

All this happens because a person with BPD turns off logic and relies purely on emotion when they feel unstable.  So you soothe them, help them stabilize with empathy and compassion, and they relax to the point of being able to have a regular conversation once again.  I hope that helps!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest