Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 11:06:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breakup cycle 22 times. Possible BPD in ex girlfriend?  (Read 190 times)
AP2000

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up

« on: January 23, 2024, 11:04:47 PM »

Makeup breakup cycle 22 times.

I’ve been dumped by the same partner 22 times now everytime things get hard or arguments occur she walks and ends the relationship. This is taking a huge toll on my mental health but I’ve described the cycle below in the text. Looking for some advice. I don’t wish to hear oh just get rid of her it’s just not that easy. I love this girl. I wish to figure out the root issue and fix it. Her mum is diagnosed BPD after educating myself on the matter I recognise she has many traits herself.

The first couple of times she ever broke up she would phone up within a few days sounding very regretful almost panicking even turned up at our shared place of work at 5 am in a taxi “to talk” however there is one thing I would like to point out and that is since taking her back those times since then. The only times she’s ever reached out to try to fix things or reconcile has been when she is drunk. She’s sent a couple breadcrumbs but I am good at no contact and can stick to it but yes she only ever wants to sort stuff with me when she’s drunk. I hate it, makes me feel like PLEASE READ. But other than that she has a routine if you will with this cycle it’s exactly the same every time. We say our goodbyes take cares etc… then silence for maximum 2 weeks however she keeps location shared and reposts/shares quotes and videos on social media every single day 10-20 times a day about relationships about not getting treated right about the man changing. These posts within the first week are bitter almost like digs at me however going into the second week of no contact they are more about missing someone not getting over someone about love and things related to us that only we understand from within the relationship. Then she will go clubbing with friends and boom no caller ids drunk texts followed by a lot of “regret” and promises to not do this or that again to never leave again and to communicate rather than ghosting/avoiding… it’s the exact same pattern everytime I can almost predict each day at this point.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Pook075
Ambassador

Relationship status: Married but Separated

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 09:31:58 AM »

Hello and welcome to the site.  I'm sorry you're stuck in an endless recycle in your relationship and the goal here is obviously to do something different.  BPD can be hereditary and it was in my wife's family for four generations (down to my oldest daughter).

You described the separation phase, but what we'd really need some insight on is why the break-ups keep happening.  That's where you can change this pattern with better communication and understanding.  If this is BPD, then your girlfriend feels rejection and leaves before you can abandon her...and those FEELINGS are real.

For example, have you ever watched a horror movie late at night while lying in bed, only to hear something inside your house?  Your mind starts to play tricks on you...is there someone or something there...and you feel fear.  While the reason for being scared is imaginary, the fear itself is real.

People with BPD have heightened emotions and that's what fuels them.  A good day is a GREAT DAY.  A bad day is a HORRBILBE DAY.  Everything is magnified when they're unstable, and they start to look for cracks in their closest relationships.  It's sort of like the feeling I described from the horror movie...it's fear of being rejected so they take drastic actions for self preservation.

Your goal here is to have open, honest conversations that make her feel loved and appreciated before reaching that feeling of instability.  The sticky tabs along the top of this page can help you with that and we'll also talk it out with you as you share more specific information.  Hopefully that helps as a starting place.
AP2000

Relationship status: Broken up

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 10:36:26 AM »

Thank you for your response, the arguments are every single day usually over petty things that get blown up every single argument of ours goes onto another topic and then blows up it’s my fault just as much. Then during these “fake breakups” is what I call them she indulges in self destructive patterns such as clubbing drinking etc. I really don’t know what to do.
Pook075
Ambassador

Relationship status: Married but Separated

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 11:08:52 AM »

Thank you for your response, the arguments are every single day usually over petty things that get blown up every single argument of ours goes onto another topic and then blows up it’s my fault just as much. Then during these “fake breakups” is what I call them she indulges in self destructive patterns such as clubbing drinking etc. I really don’t know what to do.

That's simple- stop arguing.  Why would you want to be with someone that you argue with non-stop every single day?  Just stop it and you won't have to argue anymore.

Now, I know what you'll say- she's wrong!

Of course she's wrong when she's unstable.  But what's more important, being happy with someone you love, or being right in an argument over absolutely nothing? 

You can't have both and arguments happen between two people. 

So if you stop arguing, it's just her yelling over something that doesn't matter.  And by showing her empathy and de-escalating the conversation, the yelling will stop.

It really is that simple.  To stop arguing over things that don't matter, you simply have to be the bigger person.

Do you love her enough to do that?  Because that's the answer here on whether or not you can "fix" your relationship and break these cycles.

You're probably thinking I'm wrong...I don't know what she's like or how intense she can be.  But I've been there, all of us have.  She has mental illness, she's sick, and she's lashing out because she feels unloved or insecure in that moment.  So you show love and security and let that moment pass.  Then it's back to the good stuff.

I am assuming that you are not mentally ill, which means that you must take the lead.  She's unstable at times because of a chemical imbalance in her brain.  It's hard to fault her for that.  So if you love her, you must accept that and understand that you don't get to argue for days on end over nothing.  You can break that cycle...she can't without your help.

One other thing- you're saying "fake breakup".  For her, it's catastrophic because her emotions are so enhanced.  She's going through devastation each cycle and it's tearing her apart inside.  There's nothing fake about it, she's suffering because she can't understand why you can't understand her.  It's as real as it gets and eventually, she won't come back.

You have the power to break this cycle, but you have to be committed to real change.  Again, read through the sticky threads at the top of the page and really take them to heart.  While a lot of this is not your fault, you play a role in her instability regardless and it's something you'll have to own up to.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2024, 11:12:43 AM »

Hi AP2000 and another Welcome to the boards. It's good to hear that you want things to change between you and your GF -- this is the right place to learn and practice new, healthier approaches to a BPD relationship.

Like Pook075 mentioned, because she struggles with BPD type traits and behaviors, she won't be a healthy emotional leader in the relationship. If you want positive changes to happen, it'll be important for you to take the lead in learning and applying new skills and tools. This isn't to say that it's a guarantee things will work out -- but being clear on your personal values can help you know what you can live with or not.

One of the helpful things about this group is that you can post "transcripts" of conflicts and conversations, and we can crowdsource feedback and suggestions for where to make changes for the better. And, fortunately, you don't need her to cooperate or agree when you make changes.

the arguments are every single day usually over petty things that get blown up every single argument of ours goes onto another topic and then blows up it’s my fault just as much. Then during these “fake breakups” is what I call them she indulges in self destructive patterns such as clubbing drinking etc. I really don’t know what to do.

Can you post a "he said - she said" conversation here? We can work with you to find ways to defuse the conflict.

It may not be easy -- it may be hard work -- but we understand that you have personal reasons to want to stay and make things better.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest