Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 01:03:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aftermath of communicating my BPD concerns, and question  (Read 209 times)
rattled64

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: February 26, 2024, 05:10:49 AM »

After things have been considerably worse for my undiagnosed pwBPD after her father's death in early December, she went on a 6 week tirade of lashing out at me relentlessly, I asked my therapist whether it would be productive to share my observations with my wife's therapist, who is also my therapists partner.

For those wondering if this is a good idea, I would say read on, but bottom line up front - it is too early to tell.  The reaction was swift. I signed paperwork in my session mid afternoon, and my wife's therapist had a discussion with her about it in her session that evening.

My wife came home from that session feeling the need to assert that maybe it was me with BPD and not her. It did not take long to get there. She started by confronting me directly for having provided input to her therapist at all. She asked if I thought that little of her therapist that she would miss such a diagnosis and asked me point blank what condition I was "diagnosing" her with. I quickly said that reading about CBT helped me understand what was going on with her when she was triggered and lashing out at me. I gave her the example of JADE. She said that JADE sounds like something a spouse should be doing anyway so what was so revelatory about it. I reminder her that it took a lot of presence of mind to exercise JADE when she was in full blown attack mode and insisting that I do not care about her and never loved her (after 25 years of marriage).

I asked her if she had looked at the diagnostic criteria for BPD at all and she dismissed the question saying she had come across it tryting to figure out what is going on with her mother. This is in shart contrast t how she dives deep into researching any minor infliction in her or our family's health.  Oh well.

The question is whether or not anyone has the experience of their pwBPD hiding the condition or at least not revealing the tendencies to their therapists. Both my therapist (who met my pwBPD when we were in couples therapy) and her therapist said that border line personality traits cannot be hidden and there is zero chance that my wife was doing this, but my experience is when we are deep in the vortex in an episode she is very good at hiding it from the children, her siblings, and her outside professional relationships.  Professionally I find it hard to believe that there is not an awareness that she is petty, prone to feeling slighted, and seemingly always has to make someone the enemy in any job she has. 

So does anyone else have the experience of the condition not being apparent to your pwBPD's therapist or the rest of the world? I find it really hard to imagine that her bahavior fits the Dx to a tee and it is still undiagnosed even after being pointed out. Am I going crazy here?

Thanks
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Outdorenthusiast

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married - uBPDw

The road is narrow…

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 07:09:57 AM »

Sorry that did not go down the way you thought it would.

In my journey I read many books on the subject - she found them and aggressively confronted me and swore up and down that she didn’t have it.  Luckily I read that this likely would happen and I responded that “I wasn’t a therapist, and that the books were for me to learn coping skills, not for her.  Only a qualified person working directly with her can diagnose what is going on with her.”

Separately, I have learned that there are a lot of overlapping symptoms with CPTSD, and ADHD.  You can read up on them.  They can also be co-morbid conditions but it will take intensive work regardless.  Childhood abuse trauma and genetics seems to be a very common theme.

She talked with her therapist, and her therapist placated her (apparently is also quite common to avoid a label). In the end- I told my therapist I don’t really care what they are labeled and if she is un-diagnosed - I know what I experience after 26 years of marriage.  Most important for me is that the symptoms are aggressively managed.  So far her therapist is working through her issues and the screaming, yelling has stopped, and the emotional manipulation has dramatically reduced, and suicidal tendencies have dropped.  So we will continue to keep our fingers crossed…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest