Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 12, 2024, 02:47:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is low self esteem another form of Bpd?  (Read 495 times)
mitatsu

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: April 24, 2015, 04:42:39 PM »

i know low self esteem is one of the diag points but when you read up on low self esteem symptoms they are very close to Bpd any thoughts

www.getesteem.com/lse-symptoms/behavioral.html
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Sunfl0wer
`

Relationship status: He moved out mid March

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 06:01:27 PM »

Reading that info, one could think that low self esteem = BPD  It does look almost identical!

I think the truth is more that low self esteem a necessary element to exist for BPD to surface?

I guess if low self esteem were on a continuum then BPD would be at the higher end of that scale.

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
shatterd

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 06:32:18 PM »

sunflower   i dot into an agrument with our counsler about this a mnth ago   im prbly rong  wood like ur take tho     selfesteem and BPD  the issue    i left the room for breif potty break  came back in and they were talking about selfesteem   ok thats way off subject from what we were discussing  so i askd what was that about Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)  just being me i felt kinda betrayd or cheeted then  y wood they be talkng about her self esteem wen were in maraige counsling? there response was the familar  blow me off thing  so its whatever  i replyd dickish i guess  i felt something then   woodnt u be working on self esteem to leeve somebody or put urself out there for something bettr? and ya they changed the subject  figures  and she jets the next week or so    so do u have any thoughts on this?
Sunfl0wer
`

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 06:47:06 PM »

sunflower   i dot into an agrument with our counsler about this a mnth ago   im prbly rong  wood like ur take tho     selfesteem and BPD  the issue    i left the room for breif potty break  came back in and they were talking about selfesteem   ok thats way off subject from what we were discussing  so i askd what was that about Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)  just being me i felt kinda betrayd or cheeted then  y wood they be talkng about her self esteem wen were in maraige counsling? there response was the familar  blow me off thing  so its whatever  i replyd dickish i guess  i felt something then   woodnt u be working on self esteem to leeve somebody or put urself out there for something bettr? and ya they changed the subject  figures  and she jets the next week or so    so do u have any thoughts on this?

It is completely valid and helpful to talk about self esteem during marriage counseling.

You want a partner that feels secure and strong when working on repairing the relationship.  If there are difficulties with esteem with either partner, it would be helpful for the counselor to bring them to the surface. 

You may have felt left out as the conversation did shift with your absense.  It could have opened up the opportunity to chat about something with you gone, or maybe it was a coincedence, either possibility is ok.  It is possible that esteem is easier talked about with females than males and this can leave you feeling left out?

I think it is a good thing that you brought up your concern. Therapy is most effective when we are honest and don't hold back.  The therapist cannot help what you may be too embarassed to reveal, so don't be embarassed, you should feel safe there.  Being honest is especially important if you are having issue with trusting the therapist or the therapeutic process in some way.

How wrong it is for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself.~Anais Nin
shatterd

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 06:51:32 PM »

glad u said that   my point exactly   starting to question my theropist   i was tryng to coaralte selfesteem to what was going on  i thought she was secure with me  i didnt see the relavnce then   thank you
Sunfl0wer
`

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 06:58:09 PM »

glad u said that   my point exactly   starting to question my theropist   i was tryng to coaralte selfesteem to what was going on  i thought she was secure with me  i didnt see the relavnce then   thank you

YW!

In the context of self esteem: 

Secure has more to do with her, does she feel secure about who she is as a person?  Is she confident?

Looking back to the OP link, you can see how having low self esteem can cause tremendous personal and relationship issues.

shatterd

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 08:10:11 PM »

no to both of those   however tho for her  when she gets built up   she takes it to far over the edge   sometimes i believe being over cofindent leads to this decline of leaving for another duesh bag    i dnt get no job no car no money no place   cant spell his own name and so on   ?   yup fml
Sunfl0wer
`

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 08:58:45 PM »

no to both of those   however tho for her  when she gets built up   she takes it to far over the edge   sometimes i believe being over cofindent leads to this decline of leaving for another duesh bag    i dnt get no job no car no money no place   cant spell his own name and so on   ?   yup fml

So are you saying that you do not believe that she is secure knowing who she is?

And also not confident?

I am uncertain about her being over confident.

Is it possible that she is actually not confident at all, however appearing over confident to appear confident?

shatterd

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 09:21:00 PM »

its confuseing   shes neither confident or secure in herself or life   however wen she gets the urge to try to be   its like wachting a maddona video   she has to be witha guy to prove a point to her self or something  and to others for attention   i realy dont anymore
an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 03:12:00 AM »

Low self esteem is an important topic in BPD context, one we may not have talked here much in the recent past so it is worth a look.

BPD is a condition that is driven by multiple factors. It's symptoms, which may well change over time and situational, can resemble many other distinct mental illnesses that have other causes and that have a much clearer symptomatic profile. The root causes for BPD are deeper than low self esteem e.g. impulsiveness, splitting and tendency to invalidate happening often at times when the pwBPD is stressed and is losing control over emotions.

What is often common in people with low self esteem and pwBPD is anxiety, inner pain and higher levels of stress. Relieving LSE certainly can help a pwBPD and may reduce symptoms but won't fix a BPD itself. Whether all pwBPD suffer from low self esteem is not clear to me, some may have a too warped view of themselves or at least on the surface have dominating narcissistic thinking.

It is comfortable to think about LSE as a problem of pwBPD but what about us nons? I would argue that LSE can be a big driver for co-dependency. Overcoming LSE in ourselves is a step towards our healing. It requires examining ourselves and coming to terms with it - while this board certainly can benefit from LSE discussion and please post more of it one often finds LSE related insight on our [L6] Personal Inventory and Self-awareness board which requires a certain post count.

A key mechanism for LSE is dysfunctional self talk provided by our "inner critic". It is quite difficult to convince that guy as it has perfect knowledge of our shortcomings and if that is not sufficient has the ability to make some convincing ones up. Direct attacks (mantra: I am great, I am great, I am great) are bound to fail as they are self invalidating. Disarming this critter is possible, may require deeper understanding of yourself, different thinking about yourself and possibly therapy. Some literature to get started: Self-Esteem: A Proven Program of Cognitive Techniques... .- McKay M., Fanning P.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest