Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 01:49:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Next steps  (Read 384 times)
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« on: April 18, 2016, 05:52:46 PM »

So Mom is delaying getting counseling going for sd10 and also doesn't want a family counselor or PT coordinator involved. DH had emailed her asking why she didn't want FC or PTC and why she didn't want them to have full leeway to have family proceed as they saw fit. Overall answer is that Mom sees it as DH's issue with sd10, not hers. Bright side though is the counselor Mom suggested is exactly who our MC suggested. He's worked with this FC before on a PD case so it sounds like she knows her stuff. DH was able to email Mom back & say Yes, I agree with you that we should do family counseling, and Yes, I agree with your FC suggestion, but we need to do it like I proposed so that the professionals can do what's in the girls' best interest. Crickets from Mom so far... .

So, L is prepping an ex parte motion for 50/50 that specifies that Mom is not adequately ensuring the kids have a relationship with DH, DH is a good parent, this family needs a FC, PTC, and a PT evaluator, and Mom pays court costs. If I recall, ex parte is the "faster" version of a motion? And a PT evaluator is not the same as a custody evaluator?

Sd10 is hurting. She'll still chat with me if we're together at one of sd8's activities, but she's just shutting down around DH. I'll ask parenting board about how best to help her over the next month or so.

Sd8 probably doesn't realize it -- or hasn't verbalized it -- but she's gonna be the odd one out at Mom's house, the one who isn't totally on Mom's side (the way Mom sees it). She's been ok so far but we're worried.

I guess this post is sort of all over the place, so to focus it, what stuff should we be remembering to include in an ex parte? L is good, so I'm not worried in the sense of wondering if he left something out, but thoughts on strategy/content always helpful. Thanks in advance.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 09:00:18 AM »

Definition:  An ex parte decision is one decided by a judge without requiring all of the parties to the controversy to be present.

Ex parte is faster in that one party (in this case, one parent) files for relief, usually with some level of time or urgency.  Typically, if approved, the court will later have a hearing where all parties can be present to present their respective cases.

So your lawyer's goal will probably be to present a case where the parenting or the child's welfare is compromised and addressing the issues are best done sooner than later.

The normal court process can take many months.  My divorce was nearly 2 years.  When I sought custody it took about 18 months.  When I later sought majority time (only got it during the school years) it took about 18 months.  Clearly, your lawyer's reasoning will be that the children and father can't wait a year or longer before the current situation is remedied.

One problem is that courts often don't grant all of a petitioner's requests, even if valid.  For example, I requested majority time.  The decision/order was that Mother had disparaged Father repeatedly.  Yet the new order changed the equal time to only give me majority time during the school year.  Summers remained equal.  Why?  Despite everything, the court was still reluctant to pull too much away from Mother.

Well, as I knew would happen, things didn't improve.  Ex was still entitled and kept playing games with exchanges and other aspects of parenting.  The next year I was back in court - again.  It took about 17 months and more $$$ but the court accepted that me getting custody didn't stop my Ex's "continued disparagement of Father to the child".  As a result, I gained majority time during the school year, "however, after considerable thought, this magistrate is willing to give Mother one more try... . Mother shall have {equal} summer parenting time".  Yes, court lambasted her behaviors and still bent over backwards for her.  When we first got our temp orders, I had 22% time with no dings against me except for being a working father (and she had a DV case pending against her which domestic court clearly ignored).  Despite her poor behaviors in and out of court for 8 years, she has only been reduced to 25% during the school year.  It's a 33% annual average if I include the 11 weeks of summer equal time.

(1)  Court decisions generally are better, or at least seldom worse, than what a disordered spouse wants.  A settlement seldom works until later in the divorce process when the demands become a little less unfair.

(2)  This is where you have to get consequences built into the outcome next time in court.  Courts are often willing to make a decision, it's much harder to get them to enforce them.  That's why you need consequences built into a decision, that can reduce the endless "one more chance" that courts often declare when we report noncompliance.

What I'm thinking is that Father would do well to also ask for what he feels would really and truly fix the problem long term... .  "Your Honor, I believe that our family circumstances require me to become the custodial parent, Residential Parent for school Purposes and Primary Parent with majority parenting schedule.  Failing having custody, I believe that having Decision Making or Tie Breaker status with equal time would at least improve the current state of parenting and our children's welfare.  Mother has demonstrated that she is unwilling to cooperate and share, something I can do as a reasonable involved parent.  I am concerned that half-measures will be insufficient and the time spent on minor changes will continue enabling the other parent to further sabotage the relationship of the children with their Father... ."  Of course, long term solutions aren't handled in an ex parte filing but there shouldn't be any harm including it, though we're not lawyers here.

What that does is let the judge know father is not one willing to be a token father, he is stepping forward.  Also, it presents to court that if the court's usual minimal changes don't work, then father will again return to court to state what would work and again ask for real solutions, not patches on an order that's not working.

My lawyer once explained to me one reason why courts are reluctant to make big changes to an order, "Courts don't want to upset the children."  My response was, "What if NOT making big changes will upset the children?"

bravhart1

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 12:43:55 PM »

In January of 2015 BPDm agreed to coordinator as was suggested by CE, but then she would not sign. She was compelled to sign by judge, but then would not pay or set up intake with coordinator.

Many motions later, we took off the gloves and went to court ex parte ad said very simply, mom isn't going along with what we agreed to, she is being obstructionist and SD7 is getting alienated from DH by moms pressuring her to hate dad.

The court took this very seriously and took all custody and visitation away for five months so that dad and daughter could bond and to see if mom would turn it around (sing a different tune) five months later, nope. So she now has a chance for one hour supervised visits per week in four months if she signs coordinator agreement, pays and begins more intensive therapy. The judge isn't playing anymore.

Biggest surprise here? Mom is still delusional about getting 50/50. She has fired yet another attorney and still hasn't agreed to the last order as though not agreeing makes it untrue. The longer she stalls, the longer she doesn't see SD. Judge has told her the coordinator must be in place for 60 days before visits can begin.

A year ago mom was holding all the cards and DH's power. Don't be afraid to stand up and ask for the right to have a healthy relationship with SD, it's in the best interest of the child, that's what they are focused on, use that.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 03:42:14 PM »

Thanks FD for the clarification of ex parte. L is presenting exactly that scenario -- SD10's relationship with DH is in crisis and the situation must quickly be attended to by professionals. I wouldn't be surprised if DH, if requesting 50/50 in ex parte motion, didn't get exactly that, but still got the family counseling, parenting coordinator, & parenting time evaluator ordered.

Bravhart thank you too for your input. Sounds like the way to go is if Mom still refuses to really work with DH after this motion, just go all the way, don't go through multiple other incremental motions. Our L is seeing even more of what Mom is like -- that she's all about herself -- and is getting upset, as he's trying to solve the problem but Mom's L is working for Mom's best interest -- i.e., exactly what Mom is asking her L to do.

DH did spend almost-normal PT with SD10 yesterday, so there's still contact, but it wouldn't surprise me if SD10 "inexplicably" didn't want to come over this weekend -- I think Mom is getting served today or tomorrow.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 03:48:42 PM »

One would think that at some point the gloves would have to come off, so to speak.  But court seldom does that.  After my two year divorce, 1.5 year case to get custody and 1.5 year case to get majority time, my court did finally criticize my Ex for disparaging me but then gave her "one more try" by letting her keep equal time during the summers.

Judge was already stern last time so let's hope the judge will be very, very peeved with what's happened (and not happened) these last several months and kickstart some real fixes with teeth.  That's one reason I suggested DH or his lawyer mention seeking more than he figures he'll get.  Who knows, he might get it!

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest