Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 04:32:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not Sure What to Do  (Read 384 times)
2manycats
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: December 31, 2017, 06:16:24 AM »

Hello. I’m looking for advice regarding my BPD wife of 19 years... .

My therapist thinks my short-term memory issues are the result of emotional distancing that I have been employing to avoid causing conflict with my wife. Things were not “sticking” because I was not fully engaged, not because of any neurological issues (which I had checked due to a family history of Alzheimer’s). Well when I told my wife this she went into a meltdown, assuming this meant I was checking out of the marriage and going to leave her.

She drank half a bottle of vodka then proceeded to write me a long, hate-filled email, followed by a series of texts, that essentially blamed me for everything. This was followed by cutting up most of my clothes and credit cards. To top it off, she took 40-50 Clonazepam so I ended up taking her to the ER. She is in-patient at a mental health facility at the moment due to the suicide attempt.

Where I was not looking to escape the marriage before, I definitely am now. The problem is that I am the sole income-earner and I can’t get over the feeling of obligation to support her, which I don’t think she can do without me.

She was seeing a therapist and seemed to be making good progress until this happened. At some point she will be discharged from the facility and I’m not really sure if I can deal with it anymore. Thanks for listening to my rant.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 11:38:59 AM »

Hello 2manycats,

wow, what a mess she made in a short time  . Dealing with suicide attempts absolutely sucks and my heart goes out to you      .

End of year time is always hard on BPD relationship and with some triggering news from your doctors visit is sounds she broke down. Right now she is in care so use the time to take good care of yourself  . Can you reach out to a friend or commit getting a T for yourself? Whether breaking up or staying it is vital to have some support for changes and a backup for emergencies. Witnessing a suicide attempt can be traumatizing and it sounds like you are struggling on that side already  .

Excerpt
Well when I told my wife this she went into a meltdown, assuming this meant I was checking out of the marriage and going to leave her.
Communicating with a person suffering from BPD can be challenging. Some "facts" carry significant emotional baggage or trigger deep fears. At times difficult topics can be handled in a safer way using S.E.T. technique but we can never be sure we won't trigger something. It is a fallacy to blame the trigger for the size of the explosion - there was a lot of volatile stuff silently stored waiting for a spark.

Excerpt
She was seeing a therapist and seemed to be making good progress until this happened. At some point she will be discharged from the facility and I’m not really sure if I can deal with it anymore. Thanks for listening to my rant.
This is no rant but a valid cry for help  You have a right to be listened to and feel safe.

Excerpt
She drank half a bottle of vodka then proceeded to write me a long, hate-filled email, followed by a series of texts, that essentially blamed me for everything
Is she regularly drinking too much?

Welcome,

a0

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 11:52:15 AM »

Hi 2manycats,

I'm so sorry that you had to experience such an extreme response from your wife. Is this the first time she has tried to kill herself? How are you doing after witnessing this?

I would like to second what an0ught said in getting a T for yourself. It can really help you process through everything that has happened and maybe even help you figure out what direction to go in your relationship.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest