Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 21, 2024, 11:24:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: any happy stories about borderlines getting better and reuniting on this board?  (Read 919 times)
truthbeknown

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 04, 2018, 12:27:51 AM »

just curious if there are any stories on here about borderline persons who got some kind of help or healing and reunited with a partner who had been estranged from them?

If not, I'll just write a fiction book about it.
Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 02:51:09 AM »

Your asking this on a breakup board?  Smiling (click to insert in post)

The recovery rate of any relationship that falls to the level of estrangement is very low. Even lower when their is a dramatic and damaging end. There are certainly a lot o those with BPD relationships.

MeandThee29

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 07:35:34 AM »

I still pray for a miracle like that. I had a dream last night that mine had a full neuropsych eval, was on medication, and was committed to DBT. No pressure to reconcile, just wanted me to know that he was getting better.

It's very rare though.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 02:20:45 AM »

Do you hope for this?

My ex asked to come back a little over a year ago.  Her primary emotional motivation was being with our kids more,  not me,  yet the safety of being with me (physically, financially) were likely also motivators. She was and still is married to the guy she left me for 

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Enabler

Relationship status: Living apart

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 02:51:05 AM »

My ex asked to come back a little over a year ago... .She was and still is married to the guy she left me for 

Turkish, not to hijack but I've often ruminated about how my future path might play out, W having an affair, divorcing me, I assume to be with him eventually. From what I can see OM is everything she couldn't handle in a mature relationship but everything that might be appealing as an affair candidate. I envisage the above scenario. Did you feel the compunction to let her new partner know for whatever motivation you might choose?

On balance it would likely be unwise but tempting none the less. I despise her OM FWIW

Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 03:06:41 AM »

I was hands off detached. I felt sorry for him when I found out how bad was was to him eventually.  I recall what my T said,  "personalities typically don't change."

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
MeandThee29

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 08:54:21 AM »

Do you hope for this?
Not like you hope for good weather or a raises. We're definitely "estranged with a damaging end," and I know that getting to a point where the BPD would be manageable is a long, long process that is rarely completed.

It would be a black swan event, no doubt.
araneina

Relationship status: We (me 33/f, him 31/m) broke up after ~6 months in Oct 2017.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2018, 08:55:06 AM »

Turkish, not to hijack but I've often ruminated about how my future path might play out, W having an affair, divorcing me, I assume to be with him eventually. From what I can see OM is everything she couldn't handle in a mature relationship but everything that might be appealing as an affair candidate. I envisage the above scenario. Did you feel the compunction to let her new partner know for whatever motivation you might choose?

On balance it would likely be unwise but tempting none the less. I despise her OM FWIW

This is on a much more minor scale (my ex and I were together ~ 7 months) but he recently got back in contact with me, said he'd been single for a few months, and couldn't stop thinking about our sex life and how much we laughed together.  He proposed getting together this summer when he was in town.  He doesn't know I know his gf's name and her Facebook page makes it VERY clear that they are still together.

Part of me wants to tell her, largely because I now feel guilty knowing he's out there pursuing other women (or at least me) when he's still in a relationship with her.  But in the end, her happiness is not my responsibility.  Mine is the only thing I'm responsible for.  So I'm working on releasing that guilt because it's out of my control.

Plus, I know my ex - even if I told her, he'd lie until his pants were on fire and he's charming enough that she'd no doubt gobble it up.  So his emotional infidelity is our dirty little secret.
Husband321

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 07:21:50 AM »

This is on a much more minor scale (my ex and I were together ~ 7 months) but he recently got back in contact with me, said he'd been single for a few months, and couldn't stop thinking about our sex life and how much we laughed together.  He proposed getting together this summer when he was in town.  He doesn't know I know his gf's name and her Facebook page makes it VERY clear that they are still together.

This is humorous.  My ex wife did the same.

After months she contacted me.  Said she missed our sex and laughing together.  Asked if we could spend the summer together.  She said she had never been so single before in her life.   I told her I was seeing someone.

She still tried to diminish my new gf, but then a day later came clean that she had a gf. And thinks she is bi. And told me all the details.

Enabler

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 07:35:53 AM »

She still tried to diminish my new gf, but then a day later came clean that she had a gf. And thinks she is bi. And told me all the details.

There's a hat for every occasion

Mutt
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced Oct 2015

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 02:50:24 PM »

just curious if there are any stories on here about borderline persons who got some kind of help or healing and reunited with a partner who had been estranged from them?

I see what you're saying you might take her back under certain conditions. I thought like that in my marriage and it took this break-up to rethink that, I thought that change was something that was external from me. I was hoping for her to take the initiative and change and then everything was going to be OK. It doesn't work that way change comes from us not the other party.

I remember telling her that I had enough and that she has to get help for herself and like others the ending was scorched earth. That being said I had poor relationship skills I did't know how to relate with others very well and I had my unhealthy behaviours to tweak - I focused on the things that I can change.

"Let go or be dragged" -Zen proverb
Harley Quinn
Retired Staff

I am exactly where I need to be, right now.

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2018, 10:42:29 AM »

tbk, I've been on this board for 18 months and haven't seen such a thing happen.  I'm not sure that if I stayed for 18 years we'd get a post like that, but I am always happy to be wrong about something like that.

I no longer have any pain or hurt feelings when I think of my ex, and just reading your post reminded me of when in the early stages I begged the Universe repeatedly (and out loud no less) to make him better and send him back to me.  

I'm not saying that if one day years from now he turned up in my life and gave me the news that he was recovered I'd not be over the moon for him and consider remaining in touch in some way, but that thought is way way back in the depths of my mind and certainly nowhere near the fore now.  

The person who sits front and centre in my thoughts about the future now is myself.  It is a gift to care for ourselves and our own well being enough to let go of that hope.  Can we get signed copies of the novel?

Love and light x

We are stars wrapped in skin.  The light you are looking for has always been within.
truthbeknown

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 12:38:41 PM »

Not like you hope for good weather or a raises. We're definitely "estranged with a damaging end," and I know that getting to a point where the BPD would be manageable is a long, long process that is rarely completed.

It would be a black swan event, no doubt.

what's a "black swan" event?  not familiar with this or that phrase.
Enabler

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 12:04:42 AM »

For the benefit of simplicity a black swan even is a very rare, improbable event that no one typically sees coming.

... .although Taleb in his great book called Blavk Swan would argue that these events occur much more frequently than we as humans expect and we’re cognitively programmed to downplay statistical probability of extreme things happening.

MeandThee29

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 06:24:58 AM »

For the benefit of simplicity a black swan even is a very rare, improbable event that no one typically sees coming.

Exactly. I cannot fathom it happening. If it did, it would be a miracle.

I'm very aware that thinking patterns take a very long time to be changed. It took me a long time to accept that I was codependent and allowed this because of prior imprinting. I always viewed myself as being "together." It also took me a long time to begin feeling whole again. But I'm a non who has enough going for me that I've found a measure of healing. With BPD there is much more to overcome.
Enabler

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 06:34:27 AM »

Also, being a codependant-non typically means you're too nice and helpful, kind etc etc... .being a pwBPD typically means you've been a manipulative Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post) hole and made a lot of people sad.

MeandThee29

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 07:26:19 AM »

Also, being a codependant-non typically means you're too nice and helpful, kind etc etc... .being a pwBPD typically means you've been a manipulative Bullet: comment directed to __ (click to insert in post) hole and made a lot of people sad.

LOL. Yes, a counsellor once said to me that many codependents are nice people who need to develop boundaries. That's pretty simplified, but it encouraged me that at my core, my motives were right. Learning to say no and cut off the abuse is easier to work on than manipulation and a sense of entitlement.
Pretty Woman

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

The Greatest Love is the Love You Give Yourself

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2018, 12:39:27 PM »

Hi Truth,
   I am sure there are some success stories but they are far and few between.

On these boards you will likely read more about the ex coming back, saying they have worked on themselves and were "all better" only to discard them once again.

My theory is most people who get back together and it's working, won't likely post it here  Smiling (click to insert in post) If they are happy and nothing is going wrong, they wouldn't be on this site raving about their success while reading the struggles of everyone else here.

It takes a lot of work to get BPD under control. Years of DBT therapy and becoming aware of ones actions. Many BPD's blame other and do not take the responsibility. In many BPD families, family members enable the behaviors and would be against treatment. They just describe their loved one as "sensitive" or "she's always been this way but we love her".

It's the birds of a feather mentality.

I know you are probably hoping for a reunion where your ex is healthy, happy and you can ride off into the sunset together. I know, I wanted that too, but years removed from her I see that desire was almost as bad as that initial infatuation she had for me, before she devalued and discarded me, never looking back.

Don't devalue yourself. Believe what your ex has shown you. THAT is who she is. I know it hurts, but really take to heart what the posters here are sharing with you. Reuniting often ends in more pain. You have to be strong to handle it with little or no expectations from your ex.

Learning2Thrive

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 10:28:20 PM »

In September it will be 5 years since I came here in crisis. I still think about her and the love she promised in the push pull dance. I grieved the loss and see more clearly for what it was. I was absolutely codependent and in desperate need of boundaries.   

Somehow I needed that painful experience to find the courage to look deeper. At myself and how and why I let this happen. Because healthy people do not endure that kind of relationship and call it love.

This from HQ is 100% spot on.
Excerpt
The person who sits front and centre in my thoughts about the future now is myself.  It is a gift to care for ourselves and our own well being enough to let go of that hope

I would add that I believe it’s also our responsibility if we truly want a happy, healthy and relatively drama/abuse free life. I am a work in progress.

So, over 5 years out, I have excellent days and meh days. But I no longer crave the abusive drama laden relationship that I once believed was the love of my life. I am finally making real progress in learning how to really love me and I am Learning To Thrive.

Much love to each of you on your journey.  You are the most worthy person to receive your love.

L2T

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest