Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 22, 2024, 03:39:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Only remembering certain instances?  (Read 356 times)
mrsthomps

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: October 29, 2014, 12:31:46 PM »

We have court tomorrow. dBPDex filed a contempt motion because I refused to let him take our son for his weekend visit after he spent the night in jail. He is claiming that I've alienated him from our child and harmed their bond. He cited 7 instances in the last two years that I've not allowed him to take our child for his visits.

He has completely forgotten the 14 times he didn't show up to get our son. He has completely forgotten the extra 11 overnights that he was gifted. He has completely forgotten that I am not obligated to drive halfway for exchanges yet I do it.

How can he just completely forget about everything I've done to foster their relationship? The day before he went to jail he had S2 for 4 hours for some random event.

And now he is pushing to take away my parental rights and to take on full custody.

Such a narrow way of thinking. It's maddening.
Nope

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 12:57:01 PM »

He can push all he wants, Where taking parental rights are concerned, "she wouldn't let me take my kid the day I got out of jail" will be a hard sell at best. However, depending on the judge you may or may not be found in contempt. Different states have different rules about extenuating circumstances. Especially if you felt the other parent wasn't in a mindset to properly care for the child.

I understand your frustration though. You try to do the right thing and the disordered party only sees what suits them in the moment. We here in court-embattled peer support often advise to follow the court ordered parenting schedule to the letter. No extra consideration you give is likely to be appreciated or reciprocated. Sounds like you are seeing that now in a big way.
mrsthomps

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 01:11:42 PM »

He can push all he wants, Where taking parental rights are concerned, "she wouldn't let me take my kid the day I got out of jail" will be a hard sell at best. However, depending on the judge you may or may not be found in contempt. Different states have different rules about extenuating circumstances. Especially if you felt the other parent wasn't in a mindset to properly care for the child.

I understand your frustration though. You try to do the right thing and the disordered party only sees what suits them in the moment. We here in court-embattled peer support often advise to follow the court ordered parenting schedule to the letter. No extra consideration you give is likely to be appreciated or reciprocated. Sounds like you are seeing that now in a big way.

Very much so. He requested to keep our son for an entire week at one point and I just let him. I felt bad that I had kept our son from him, even though he definitely wasn't in the right frame of mind to be a parent.

My attorney has told me before to not give him extra time and I don't listen. I worry about what my son will think when he is older. Will he hate me for not letting him get to know his dad? I know very well how destructive my dBPDex can be. I just don't know how to protect my child while still giving him a relationship with his dad.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 01:38:33 PM »

It's possible that the court will ignore all the extra times and simply focus on the ordered times.  Or not, it's hard to say.  But often the judges perform conceptual gymnastics when making decisions.  If they want to rule a certain way, they can find ways to support it.

For example, a few weeks after our order changed ex took our son on a week's trip for the week after Spring Break.  She had commented well before that she would go on Spring Break but she never spoke of it again, never sent me a notice with relevant details as required, and even made a trade during that week.  My lawyer said it was a straightforward case and so I filed Contempt of Court.  However, the magistrate ruled she wasn't "technically" in contempt since she had an "inability to comply".  The court's mental gymnastics was that the old order was no longer in effect and the new order hadn't been in effect long enough to give her the FULL 30 day window for giving notice before she left.  Hey, she didn't even try!

In your defense it would likely be best to emphasize this incident was just after he got out of jail and you had concerns.  Be prepared to list those extra times he got time, I'm guessing that at least some of them were "make up visits" for the times he didn't show up or failed to get visits.  Your goal is to emphasize that you're not obstructing him.  For example, maybe you could squeeze in, "If he wants me to strictly follow the terms of the order, then I'll stop meeting him halfway and have him do the legwork to get to the exchanges."

A saying I heard years ago and often repeat, The parent behaving poorly seldom gets consequences and the parent behaving well seldom gets credit.

Frankly no order can be followed 100%, there will be mishaps now and then over time.  While you don't want to fret overmuch, you also need to defend yourself vigorously.  I worry that he is trying to get a Contempt ruling to make you look bad in his bigger case trying to get more parenting time.

My attorney has told me before to not give him extra time and I don't listen. I worry about what my son will think when he is older. Will he hate me for not letting him get to know his dad? I know very well how destructive my dBPDex can be. I just don't know how to protect my child while still giving him a relationship with his dad.

My lawyer always scolded me every time I complained of an issue, "Stop deviating from the order!"  Sadly, you can't afford to be nice.  And don't get distracted by side issues or concerns.  Being reasonable or nice is like waving a red cape before a bull, it's an invitation saying your boundaries are weak and to be pushed and perhaps even be trampled.

Waddams

Relationship status: Living single, dating wonderful woman now

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 01:55:12 PM »

I think you have an obligation to act in the best interests of the child first, and sometimes the child's best interest can be in conflict with a court order.  My SO basically kidnapped her kids from their dad (who had physical custody at the time) because he was physically abusing them.  She fled the state with them, then came back to make a fight of things and won in the emergency custody hearing.  I've read about other cases where similar things happened, but the judge ruled against the person not complying with orders no matter what extenuating circumstances were.

More than anything though, do what you think is best for the child when there are special circumstances, such as getting out of jail.  Nothing wrong with saying "come get him in a few days" when he's had a chance to settle down some.  All you can do is your best to put your child's needs first.  It sounds like you are not willfully obstructing his visitation.  Perhaps the court orders don't adequately address extenuating circumstances were it's appropriate to deviate from the orders?  No set of orders can, that's where separated parents are expected to be adults and figure it out on their own without the court having to tell them what to do.

I think I'd just go in and explain to the judge the full story, explain you aren't trying to obstruct his visitation, but you are also having to deal with circumstances that the orders just don't cover well, or at all. 

And as long as his motion for contempt is outstanding, no more giving him extras or driving 1/2 way to meet him.

momtara

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 10:49:19 PM »

I know from experience that they remember other things, but block them out.  Think of it this way.  Let's say you had a mental illness that made you, at times, behave in ways that you'd otherwise find reprehensible.  How could you justify that?  By blocking some of those members out and placing blame.  That's why they are so good at creating alternative explanations and stories.

I remember your post about the kidnapping.  Don't let him intimidate you, soften you, or scare you into giving up on anything.  I have done that too many times with my ex.  The sole custoy thing is meant to weaken and intimidate you.  If you give up anything, you will always have to worry he may kidnap your son again.  It's better for your son, ex, and you to have stability.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest