Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 22, 2024, 01:29:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fearing the Boogyman  (Read 241 times)
Pook075
Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« on: November 10, 2023, 11:11:46 AM »

I don't know why I thought about this today, but I had a random memory pop up from childhood where I woke up in the middle of the night and felt night terrors from shadows moving on my walls.  I'm not sure what my 8 year old mind thought I was seeing, but I was so scared that I couldn't even cry out to my parents or run across the house to their bedroom.  So I just laid there, frozen in fear, until finally falling asleep.  This happened maybe for two weeks total, one night after the next.

I'm sharing this story because so many ask about how to deal with a BPD loved one when they say so many 'off the wall' things that aren't reality.  Imagine being a young kid, scared out of your mind, and not having the courage for days to say something to your parents. 

When I finally told my mom after 2 or 3 sleepless nights, she completely dismissed my concerns and said that it was probably a tree swaying in the wind and the streetlight making shadows.  And looking back, she was probably right...there was nothing to be scared of.  But because she was so quickly dismissive of what was a life or death situation in my mind, I didn't bring it up to her again even though I was still terrified to go to sleep at night.

You see, the thing I was so afraid of...the boogyman or things that go bump in the night...that wasn't real.  We often get into arguments with our BPD loved ones over the 'facts' that seem so obvious to us, that we forget to focus on the actual emotions behind the situation- fear, sadness, loneliness, panic, etc.  For me, it didn't matter if the boogyman was real or not, I was scared out of my mind nonetheless and I needed support to come to a healthy understanding.

I shared that to give a deeper insight into BPD and how the thinking changes when someone doesn't feel supported.  Initially, the problem was the boogyman.  But once I sought help, the problem shifted to anger and other emotions that my mom didn't believe me.  How could she be so dismissive...didn't she care?  I remember being mad at her for several days.

Now granted, this was a healthy 8 year old mind, but this played out so much like a BPD episode because I was detached and unstable, unsure of how to proceed since nobody believed me.  I never told my dad because of how my mom reacted; I was too scared of further rejection and people thinking there was something wrong with me.  So I suffered in silence.

Eventually, I got a good night's sleep and forgot about the boogyman completely.  But the wedge was still there and it took much longer to forget about my mom telling me that I was wrong.  And hey, I was wrong...we all know that.  That's not the point though at all, the point here was that I was a terrified little boy that needed support.  The 'thing' was imaginary but the 'feelings' were 100% real. 

Maybe some of you can relate after watching a horror movie too close to bedtime and then dreaming about it.  For me, it was "The Shining" as a teenager....LOL, that one got me good.  For years, I'd peek behind the shower curtain anytime I visited someone's house and had to use the bathroom.  It was illogical for sure, but you never know...LOL.

I shared all of that to say this- stop arguing about the boogyman (which is pretty much EVERYTHING we argue about) and instead focus on the feelings behind it.  Those feelings are genuine and real, and the only way past them is to relate to how much that would stink feeling lost and alone with a problem nobody understands.  The 'stuff' our BPD's say is not the problem, but how we react to it becomes the biggest issue and what drives the wedge in our relationships.

Now, believe me when I say I get it...sometimes we get accused of ridiculous things that feel worthy of an argument.  I know all about righteous anger since I was once an expert on the subject.  But if you could see the monster that was in my room when I was a kid, the monster that's in your BPD's mind when they lash out, then their feelings begin to make a lot more sense in the moment. 

Fear comes from someone being afraid.  Anger comes from a lack of understanding.  We can all relate to these emotions because we've experienced them ourselves.

My advice here is simple- stop trying to slay the boogyman!  He can only be defeated through love and empathy.  The BPD in your life is likely powerless to do that on their own, so put down your sword and choose a different weapon.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 12:09:25 PM »

My advice here is simple- stop trying to slay the boogyman!  He can only be defeated through love and empathy.  The BPD in your life is likely powerless to do that on their own, so put down your sword and choose a different weapon.

Someone once said to me that all advice is autobiographical. It sounds like you have had some success with your approach, especially with your daughter.

Are there extenuating circumstances you can think of (that maybe aren't exactly aligned with the analogy you share) that would cause you to modify your advice?

I'm wondering specifically about the difference between feelings and behaviors. How someone behaves when they feel scared can run the gamut.

Breathe.
Pook075
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 01:29:54 PM »

Someone once said to me that all advice is autobiographical. It sounds like you have had some success with your approach, especially with your daughter.

Are there extenuating circumstances you can think of (that maybe aren't exactly aligned with the analogy you share) that would cause you to modify your advice?

I'm wondering specifically about the difference between feelings and behaviors. How someone behaves when they feel scared can run the gamut.

I also agree that advice is autobiographical, because we can learn from our mistakes or simply repeat them.  That's just infinitely harder in the BPD world since its so hard to see our actual mistakes.

With my daughter, things changed when I could finally express forgiveness and a desire to move on.  That allowed a basis of trust and at the end of the day, that's what this is all about, isn't it?  Someone's unstable and they lose trust in those around them.  The wedge either keeps getting bigger or it gets eliminated through forgiveness and love.  The only way that happens though is through better communication.

There are always extenuating circumstances- violence, abuse, instability with some very poor choices mixed in.  Sometimes it's just too big to come back from.  Other times, the trust just can't be reestablished from one side or the other.  And if we're being honest, not all of us want to forgive when we're experiencing someone's worst.  That's being human and it is an individual decision on how much to give or take.

Specifically about feelings vs behaviors, I think they're always connected...although perhaps in ways that are impossible to see.  For instance, with my BPD wife, she accused me of something last year that left me dumbfounded, so I asked her for additional details.  It turned out that the source of her feelings was something that happened like 20 years ago.  Either she had held onto it all that time, or it magically reappeared when she was down. 

It would be so easy to sit here and justify my actions, to explain why she was wrong about the whole thing.  But the fact remains that the memory caused her tremendous pain and she was unable to work past it.  If I would have spoken to her differently instead of expressing my own viewpoint, maybe we'd be on a different path today.  I made a choice though to not lead with empathy and compassion, which is why the relationship ended.

My advice, stop trying to slay the boogyman, probably holds true in most cases regardless of that path someone wishes to take.  Arguing generally does not lead to understanding, which we can see in the world all around us since we're divided on hundreds of mostly senseless things.  As a society we love to argue and prove that 'we're right' above all-else, which is great if we're talking sports or reality TV.  But there are few other places where it serves us well.

While my marriage is over, I can now call my ex wife and have a conversation without all the attached drama spilling over- and I can't imagine how that could be perceived as a bad thing.  She has also self-disproven many of her biggest absolute statements (like 'I don't care about her family' or 'I've never loved her'), which I never would have been able to do by simply telling her that.  For me, it's relief that the tension is gone.  But for her, it's actual healing and that's a great thing too.

She needed to see it and accept it on her own, which feels like a major victory since she still refuses counseling.

I would never tell someone to stay or go, to reconcile or run for the hills.  That's a choice each of us has to make on our own, because we all know how difficult of a path it will be at times.  Instead, I just want to give people a little bit of hope in how to reset those relationships.  It absolutely is possible if we're willing to love in a different way.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest