Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 02:43:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: fallout from holding limits; advice on next steps  (Read 690 times)
zondolit

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: separated

« on: November 23, 2021, 11:02:00 AM »

Hi all,

In August, I made two changes:

First, I committed to living as fully as I can regardless of my uBPD husband. I asked myself what I wanted. How would I live if I wasn’t thinking about and living my life “around” him (i.e., on eggshells)? For me, this meant taking a solo trip, spending time with friends, exercising, finding a church I like, spending one-on-one time with my children—things I’d not much allowed myself for years because I knew my husband would find some reason to object to or diminish the thing, see it somehow hurting him. I feel like I’m coming back to life and myself. I feel a great freedom to be able to enjoy life. If my husband does not, that is on him.

Second, I have held to limits I set. I’m someone who generally is good with boundaries, but the BDP had worn down my limits—so imperceptibly I didn’t notice until therapy. It’s been life-changing to recognize the pattern and anticipate push back from my husband when I hold a limit. Previously the push back always caught me by surprise no matter how many times it had happened before. Now I (mostly) do not take the insults personally and remain calm.

However, while I am in a much better place, my husband has reacted strongly to these changes and now appears depressed. There is a great deal of tension between us. Things are strained.

Anyone else have experience with blowback from instituting (healthy) changes?

Any suggestions on my next step? I’m not ready to melt my heart toward him or anything crazy advanced like that! But a small step I might be able to take?  Smiling (click to insert in post)
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

thankful person

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Married

Formerly known as broken person…

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 04:17:40 PM »

Hi Zondo,
I am on a similar journey to yours with my d bpd wife. I am finding it a struggle due to her emotional over reactions but I am learning so much and hopefully making progress. Some days it still just feels easier to not push things too far, so I have days when I work harder at it and others not so much. I just wanted to say, thanks for sharing your story, I find it very inspiring and I you all the best on your journey. I don’t have any advice but look forward to hearing some suggestions from the good people here.

“Maybe I’ll get it right next time…” from “Estranged” by Guns N’ Roses
Couscous

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 07:27:46 PM »

Ah yes, blowback is inevitable.

I’m not sure there is any next step for you. The challenge is going to be to stay the course no matter how your husband reacts, or how long his reaction lasts, and to remind yourself daily that you are not responsible for his feelings. Two books, The Dance of Anger and Emotional Blackmail were immensely helpful for me in handling the blowback.
Rev
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced and now happily remarried.

The surest way to fail is to never try.

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 07:39:31 PM »

Ah yes, blowback is inevitable.

I’m not sure there is any next step for you. The challenge is going to be to stay the course no matter how your husband reacts, or how long his reaction lasts, and to remind yourself daily that you are not responsible for his feelings. Two books, The Dance of Anger and Emotional Blackmail were immensely helpful for me in handling the blowback.

Lot's of wisdom here. Once you have laid a boundary and you are still hanging around, the ball to adjust is really in his court. If you adjust now, you are only enabling him, which in the long run is no good for anyone.

Assuming that you are emotionally and physically safe, there is a a hopeful view of this. Studies have shown that men don't do as well out of relationships than women do. So what that what means is that there is a better chance that he'll come around if you hold on to your ground than if your genders were reversed.

Hang in there.

Rev
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 11:13:35 AM »

Here’s a great thread on extinction bursts and intermittent reinforcement.  https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=85479.0

Hold steady on your path of healthy behavior. Your husband can join you or not. It’s up to him.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
zondolit

Relationship status: separated

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 02:08:53 PM »

Ah, I am definitely experiencing an extinction burst right now with my husband; he's feeling desperate and so the angst and negative behaviors get magnified. Thanks, Cat Familiar, for pointing me to information on this. It's reassuring to have a name for the behavior and know it is "normal" pattern others have experienced too.

Couscous, I will look up the books you suggest.

I will do my best to hold the course. I am physically safe, Rev. I think I'm emotionally safe enough. 

I love being part of this online community of strangely named, helpful, empathetic, wise folks. Thank you, all.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest