Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 02:38:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uncomfortable with the calm  (Read 350 times)
billypilgrim

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated since 10/2014. Divorce will be finalized 10/2015.

« on: January 12, 2015, 05:01:16 PM »

One of the first things that I noticed after my exBPD left was the newly found quiet and calm.  I don't have to play the game of "Wonder what kind of mood is she in?" on the way home from work anymore.  I'm no longer wondering if I'm doing enough.  No more planning the next adventure or side show.  Hypervigilance is exhausting.  It's amazing how much more energy I have now that she's gone.  The turnaround was almost instant.  I can finally just be.  And for the most part, I really have enjoyed this new life.  

But today was different.  I didn't go into the office and worked from home as I'm feeling a little under the weather.  So maybe it was the added alone time that triggered this step backwards day.  I just find it strange that alone time was what I craved most and what she hated most during our 6 years together.  Now I've got all the alone time I could ask for and I don't want it.  But I'm not missing her or wanting her back.  I'd just like something real.  I feel like I was gipped out of a real relationship and I feel like I was completely unloved over the last 6 years.  And this isn't a fishing expedition in which I'm looking for the "She loved you in her own way" crap that I sometimes see on this site.  That rings far too hollow for me but to each his own.  I just keep focusing on what could have been different about my life.  I could have been with someone that could have appreciated me for me and how much I put into the r/s.  I know - ifs, buts, candy, and nuts.  But it is undeniably heartbreaking to look back at how much love and work I committed to her.  And for what?  A tough lesson on relationships?  A chance to look inside myself?  I guess I'll appreciate those things at some point but it's not clicking today.

Most days that start off feeling like this I can just power through with a mindfulness exercise or just rethink how unhealthy the r/s was but I couldn't do that today.  I guess there just hasn't been enough time for me to not have days like these.  I'm just sick of them.  
Tim300

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 05:08:05 PM »

I'm with you.  I have on days and off days with respect to processing all of this.

I think the only good thing that can come of this is that I'm now almost an expert on PDs.  I will be able to spot PDs much sooner going forward, and have the knowledge to know that I should keep my distance.  It's a small prize in exchange for a world of pain, but it's something. 
Trog

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 05:37:39 PM »

Yeah we all feel like some days. I feel cheated quite often that I've wasted so much effort and poured love onto someone who didn't reciprocate as my heart craved. However, I do finally understand that if I hadn't taken this almighty a55 kicking I would not be looking at myself at all and I would always get worse codependency and end up with another unhappy relationship with poor boundaries.

I too wish I could have had the good part of my marriage without the bad. I suppose the most comforting thing to know is surely we can have that again if they were only reflecting the great in us?

Some days are harder than others. I feel pretty sorry for myself for getting into his mess but seemingly we will pull thru 
billypilgrim

Relationship status: Separated since 10/2014. Divorce will be finalized 10/2015.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 07:12:40 PM »

I think the only good thing that can come of this is that I'm now almost an expert on PDs.  I will be able to spot PDs much sooner going forward, and have the knowledge to know that I should keep my distance.  It's a small prize in exchange for a world of pain, but it's something. 

I agree, I feel like I could give a lecture on this stuff sometimes.  The intense need for answers and closure drove me back to the stacks.  Relationships just don't end the way they do when you are with someone with a PD.  So us nons go looking in books, articles, this site, etc. and before we know it, we are PD laymen.

Given the common threads that recycle on these boards the way some of us recycle with our partners, it's almost as if not only is there a PD playbook that our partners follow but there is also a non playbook that we follow. We all ask the same questions, we all desperately want answers that weren't provided to us, we all grieve, we all find our way to this site or help from a therapist, and we all try carve out a new life for ourselves based on what we've learned.  Another thing that seems to be true for all of us is that we all seem to focus almost entirely on our partners after the break up.  It takes a long time before we start thinking about ourselves again and for me, that's been much more difficult.

However, I do finally understand that if I hadn't taken this almighty a55 kicking I would not be looking at myself at all and I would always get worse codependency and end up with another unhappy relationship with poor boundaries.

Yes, this is something that I needed to learn.  My boundaries were poor and that's what got me hooked in when it all started.  My FOO issues kept me around.  But I still believe that with a reciprocating partner, I don't end up here - despite how foolish as it is to hypothetical everything. 

I too wish I could have had the good part of my marriage without the bad. I suppose the most comforting thing to know is surely we can have that again if they were only reflecting the great in us?

This is what I keep going back to.  And it's what I likely need to focus on more when I have days like these.  She adopted my personality.  The things that friends liked about her/us were a reflection of me.  And I'm reminded of that when I hang out with friends and they start to realize this and in some cases have even pointed it out.  I mean, who is she going to be now?  How many times can she really change her spots?  It sounds kind of juvenile to think about things like this but I suppose that's all part of rebuilding the self-esteem. 
mstnghu

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Relationship status: Married (10 years)

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 07:27:52 PM »

One of the first things that I noticed after my exBPD left was the newly found quiet and calm.  I don't have to play the game of "Wonder what kind of mood is she in?" on the way home from work anymore.  I'm no longer wondering if I'm doing enough.  No more planning the next adventure or side show.  Hypervigilance is exhausting.  It's amazing how much more energy I have now that she's gone.  The turnaround was almost instant.  I can finally just be.  And for the most part, I really have enjoyed this new life.  

But today was different.  I didn't go into the office and worked from home as I'm feeling a little under the weather.  So maybe it was the added alone time that triggered this step backwards day.  I just find it strange that alone time was what I craved most and what she hated most during our 6 years together.  Now I've got all the alone time I could ask for and I don't want it.  But I'm not missing her or wanting her back.  I'd just like something real.  I feel like I was gipped out of a real relationship and I feel like I was completely unloved over the last 6 years.  And this isn't a fishing expedition in which I'm looking for the "She loved you in her own way" crap that I sometimes see on this site.  That rings far too hollow for me but to each his own.  I just keep focusing on what could have been different about my life.  I could have been with someone that could have appreciated me for me and how much I put into the r/s.  I know - ifs, buts, candy, and nuts.  But it is undeniably heartbreaking to look back at how much love and work I committed to her.  And for what?  A tough lesson on relationships?  A chance to look inside myself?  I guess I'll appreciate those things at some point but it's not clicking today.

Most days that start off feeling like this I can just power through with a mindfulness exercise or just rethink how unhealthy the r/s was but I couldn't do that today.  I guess there just hasn't been enough time for me to not have days like these.  I'm just sick of them.  

I could've written this verbatim. I can't even begin to tell you how much I can relate to this... .only difference is that I'm still with my wife.
Lucky Jim

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 09:15:32 AM »

Hey bp, Like you, I enjoy returning home from work without the expectation of some emotional explosion from my BPDxW.  I don't miss the drama.  I even enjoy boring nights because they are calm and peaceful, whereas my married life was turbulent and frequently abusive.  I breathe more easily now.  It's normal, in my view, to long for companionship and I suspect your next r/s will be much healthier and happier for you.  In the meantime, I suggest that you try to minimize ruminating about the past with your Ex SO, because a r/s with a pwBPD is not built to last, in my view.  Hang in there, LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest