Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 19, 2024, 06:18:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello I'm New But Worn Out  (Read 199 times)
CAP1960
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Parent

« on: May 06, 2024, 07:26:49 AM »

I'm a mother of a BPD daughter who is 38 years old.  She is very high-functioning, married, and a mother of two young girls.  Slowly she is destroying me.  I live 3 doors away from her (long and disastrous story) and now I feel trapped like I can't get out.  I have lost contact with almost everyone in my life becasue I have allowed her to control me.  Her brothers won't have anything to do with her and therefore, with me as well.  I am finally beginning to realize what I have done to myself by allowing her to control so many aspects of my life.  This is madness.
So I dusted off my notes and remebered this site along with NEABPD and have re-engaged.  I look forward to connecting with some like-minded people who also need support.   
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Ourworld

Relationship status: Widow

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2024, 11:43:58 AM »

Hello Cap1960,

You sound like you’re moving in the right direction since you admitted and realize that you have allowed her to control you, so BRAVO!

I have a daughter who is now 38; she’s quite high-functioning and has grown up as gifted with a photographic memory. Although it took me a longtime to actually realize that she had a personality disorder when she began acting out about 13, I never let her ‘get over’ on me in anyway! When she was 27 she cut off communication with me since she could no longer control what she said or how she said things and she respected me. I now also believe it had to do with feelings of abandonment when I moved overseas for a few years after she got her BA. At least she got her MBA on her own.

You may not be able to undo the fact that you’ve been taken in, but you can change that now that you have recognized it!

If moving a little further away is an option that would help tremendously.
Your first step is to stop listening and giving in to her ramblings and accusations. You don’t need to confront her, just let her know that you will no longer consider the things she says because anything that has happened does not matter and cannot be changed.
Then, for yourself, try and let go and forgive yourself for any of your past mistakes.

True forgiveness takes time; but ask God to help you and eventually He will remove this baggage of guilt and shame you have been carrying for so long.

I wish you the best, OurWorld
Pook075
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 11:53:24 AM »

Hey Cap and welcome back!

The problem with having BPD kids is that kindness can easily be turned into control and manipulation.  Your kid doesn't want to deal with her own stuff and as long as she can blame everyone around her, that means that's she's right and there's no need to change.  In fact, the only way she'll change is by forcing her to accept the hard truth that nobody in this world owes her anything.

Pulling back from your kid will bring worse behavior because she does feel like you owe her for everything in life.  You must resist that and understand that all this is coming from mental illness.  It's okay to love her, but it's not okay to enable her.  Does that make sense?  So you must stop supporting her in ways that enable bad behavior (financial, emotional, etc).

You're responsible for you.  She's responsible for her.  Those are two very different things, and the abuse must stop.  You do not owe her anything at this point.

Ourworld

Relationship status: Widow

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 12:01:46 AM »

Hi Cap1960,

I know how difficult it is to realize that we no longer have the responsibility of parenting, since they don’t ‘grow up’ in many ways. That is why we just have to trust and let them go back in their creator’s hands (God).
But at least your daughter is in a relationship of sorts with you, I am not sure if she’ll ever reconnect with me again.
Continue showing how much you care and support her and ask her to just be your friend since she’s gotten older and done so well.

OurWorld
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest