Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 18, 2024, 10:29:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Poll
Question: How do you rate this article?
Excellent - 18 (75%)
Good - 5 (20.8%)
Fair - 1 (4.2%)
Poor - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VIDEO | Back from the Edge ~ Bill Lichtenstein  (Read 2672 times)
PotentiallyKevin
Formerly "Mobocracy"

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Separated since Nov 30, 2009

« on: April 16, 2010, 07:55:04 PM »

Date: Feb-2012Minutes: 48:11

Back From the Edge | Borderline Personality Disorder

Great article on Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder here:

Excerpt
Borderline Personality Disorder Treatment Gap

As promising as clinical developments have been - and they are promising - there are some very practical issues with treat.  There is a significant difference between the number of those who would benefit from treatment and the number of those who are treated. The so called “treatment gap” is a function of the disinclination of the afflicted to submit for treatment, an under diagnosing of the disorder by healthcare providers, and the limited availability and access to state-of-the-art treatments.
More here: https://bpdfamily.com/content/treatment-borderline-personality-disorder

Loved this video.

po·ten·tial  adj.
1. Capable of being but not yet in existence; latent: a potential greatness.
2. Having possibility, capability, or power.
3. The inherent ability or capacity for growth, development, or coming into being.
4. Something possessing the capacity for growth or development.
finally

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 09:15:45 PM »

wow great info... .helps to understand the different levels of BPD... .thanks for the video xoxo
Skip
Site Director

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 12:43:37 PM »

This documentary was created by Bill Lichtenstein an award-winning print and broadcast journalist and documentary producer. Lichtenstein is president of the independent media production company, Lichtenstein Creative Media. His work has been honored with more than 60 major journalism awards including a Peabody Award; a Guggenheim Fellowship ;eight National Headliner Awards; and a United Nations Media Award.

The video is being distributed by The BPD Resource Center is a national non-profit affiliated with New York-Presbyterian Hospital. The Center offers the current information on BPD, including treatment techniques, and maintains database of professionals and facilities across the country that treat the disorder.

SeaCliff

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 03:48:37 PM »

This is my absolute favorite BPD video of all of them. To date, I have watched hundreds of videos in regard to BPD, and on other personality disorders. If there is a video on YouTube, I have probably already seen it at least once or twice.  

This "Back from the Edge" video offers people some hope (both PWBPD and the Nons). I particularly enjoyed the interviews of Dr. Marsha Linehan (a brilliant woman), Dr. John Gunderson (Harvard professor), Dr. Otto Kernberg, and others.

I have watched it several times myself. When I am having tough days myself in regard to what my Borderline did to my family, I tend to watch this video again to try to find some hope or some potential answers.

I was intrigued with one of the doctor's views in regard to the potential link between BPD and damaged amygdala glands (two almond shaped glands which are known as the "fear and stress" centers of the brain which many doctors allege may occur in people with BPD, Autism, and Asperger's). Many other doctors allege the same thing in regard to possible damaged amygdala glands potentially playing a part in BPD behavior.

In addition, it was very interesting to hear the stories from the people who battled Borderline themselves. They were very brave to provide their stories. In each case, these people with BPD improved themselves significantly. I have suggested this video to at least 20 other people.

As I tell people, please click on the "4 Arrows" button (just below the video image on the lower rightside) to enlarge to full screen. If possible, please sit in a comfortable chair, or lay down on your bed so you may watch it like a show on TV.
an0ught
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 09:15:32 AM »

I love the movie - except one thing that could be better.

I like all the BPD guys in the movie - not so difficult for any BPD sufferer to identify with. Except all of them cut. It would be great to have had at least one non cutting sufferer there. It makes it too easy to say - I don't cut therefore I am not.

Writing is self validation. Writing on bpdfamily is self validation squared!
SeaCliff

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 10:22:07 AM »

I agree with the preference for at least one "non-cutter" too in the same great film as I thought the same thing. I was really impressed with the male Borderline who gave his story. Each one of these people who battled BPD showed us that they are very bright people as well.
drmom

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 03:37:29 PM »

This video was extremely helpful. The person in my life who is BPD is a former best friend. She displayed all of the behaviors mentioned in the movie, especially the one's about friendship... .to the point where it was almost spooky! I, too agree about the cutting. My former best friend did things to hurt herself and one time she told me that her therapist told her that cutting might be the next step, however, she never did cut. I am sure if she saw this video, she would say, "that's not me... .I don't cut." Otherwise, this was very helpful in understanding the mindset of a BPD.

DragoN

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 07:17:44 AM »

Well done video... .one sentence that stuck out for me... .

The will and desire to confront the problem... .then ask for help, and trust in the therapy... something like that anyways... .

Many of us here are batting 0/3... .
skittles12

Relationship status: Single

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 12:07:11 AM »

amazing. at first i was like "this sounds like me, am i borderline?" until i started watching further about how they NEED people. then i'm like "no thats not me" but it does make me understand more how my mother needs the validation of others. i could care less about what others think and i'm always telling her that. this is very interesting and im seeing what im picking up from her. gotta shake those mimic-ed behaviors.
PotentiallyKevin
Formerly "Mobocracy"

Relationship status: Separated since Nov 30, 2009

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 06:31:28 PM »

I agree with the preference for at least one "non-cutter" too in the same great film as I thought the same thing. I was really impressed with the male Borderline who gave his story. Each one of these people who battled BPD showed us that they are very bright people as well.

unfortunately it seems to be that only the "lower-functioning" pwBPD seem to seek therapy and recovery... .I too would have loved to see a "High-functioning" example - must be hard to find one though... .

po·ten·tial  adj.
1. Capable of being but not yet in existence; latent: a potential greatness.
2. Having possibility, capability, or power.
3. The inherent ability or capacity for growth, development, or coming into being.
4. Something possessing the capacity for growth or development.
SeaCliff

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 10:30:35 AM »

You are right yet again, Mobocracy. Even though I have watched literally hundreds of videos on BPD and other personality disorders to date, I can't seem to remember seeing a "High Functioning" Borderline talk about their recovery from BPD. I have read various articles about "High Functioning Borderlines" who have improved though.

This is an unbelievably bizarre illness in that lower functioning Borderlines are more likely to seek treatment as opposed to "High Functioning Borderlines" who hurt the people closest to them in their life (akin to a "tornado" by projecting their negative emotions and feelings onto others as if they were their own. They then blame those same victims (i.e. the "targets" for all of their own internal issues.
Randi Kreger
DSA Recipient

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 11:02:24 AM »

I love the movie - except one thing that could be better.I like all the BPD guys in the movie - not so difficult for any BPD sufferer to identify with. Except all of them cut. It would be great to have had at least one non cutting sufferer there. It makes it too easy to say - I don't cut therefore I am not.

To the people in the clinical BPD world, these people don't exist. They're not candidates for DBT, thus invisible. Also unacknowledged because they don't provide a good face for the disorder. Randi KregerThe Essential Family Guide to BPD

I had a borderline mother and narcissistic father.
Paws

Relationship status: married for almost 2 years now

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 05:39:59 AM »

I love the movie - except one thing that could be better.

I like all the BPD guys in the movie - not so difficult for any BPD sufferer to identify with. Except all of them cut. It would be great to have had at least one non cutting sufferer there. It makes it too easy to say - I don't cut therefore I am not.

That is exactly what I thought too.  I was really disappointed when every person they showed talked about cutting and suicide.  I would love to see a less extreme/more high functioning pwBPD in the video.  Also, there are other ways to self-injure other than cutting, and I think the whole suicide and cutting stereotyping of BPD just keep many from getting treatment they need.  For instance, my husband is currently diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder and "borderline traits."  The most recent from his current therapist is that while he has many traits associated with BPD, because he is not suicidal and does not cut, he doesn't have the disorder.  It's really frustrating.  He does do things like hit his head really hard into walls, or punch walls until he injures his hand.  He is receiving Schema Therapy, which in my understanding is often used to treat BPD.

The other thing I didn't like is that every single person said that they were so happy to get help, relieved to understand that they have this disorder that has a name, etc.  However, many of us "in the trenches" know that that is rarely the case.  All too often, those with BPD deny, deny, deny that there is a problem, and even if confronted with the fact that they have BPD by a therapist, they are by no means "relieved" or "happy" to now have a name for their problems.

SeaCliff

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 02:05:55 PM »

In regard to Randi Kreger's post, she is right yet again in that many clinicians do not focus on "non-cutting Borderlines" as much. The "Borderline" (and severely paranoid) in my world effectively destroyed her own life in regard to what she did to our family over the past 22 months. Short of suicide, she did the next worst thing from my perspective.

Short of cutting and suicide, her actions which negatively impacted our two young children as well as me (the proverbial "Target" due to her cognitive distortions after she "split" me once she was certain that I was set to ABANDON (their greatest fear) her for an old childhood friend, were akin to a "Family Suicide" in that she broke us apart and effectively "killed" our once loving and strong "Family Unit". As personality disorders are effectively "relationship disorders", it is the "living and breathing Family Unit" which is hurt or "killed" the most.

I have told friends, family, and a therapist to please imagine my "Borderline" (my companion, best friend, and wife of 20 plus years) trying to continually "punch me in the gut" during our highly contested "High Conflict Divorce Case" while I just want to give her a hug, tell her that I still care about her, and that I am willing to help her get better in spite of the overwhelming odds. Regardless of whatever happens between us down the road, we must somehow improve our relationship for the sake of our children if it only means friendly "co-parenting" together.

As my friends think that I am both physically and mentally strong, they can not believe the absolute "Hell" which I have endured in my bizarre and conflicted divorce case even though I never yelled at her, never cheated on her, she never had to work, and she even called me "the best Dad in town" literally one month before she "split" me

My ex-wife is represented by one of the most infamous divorce attorneys in America. She, and her partners, have represented some of the most famous Borderline celebrity cases in the U.S.

Their famous well known lead legal partner (he appears on TV a lot) did not like the fact that I taunted him in the Court's hallways while naming at least 7 of their most famous celebrity divorce cases as I named off all of their celebrity clients' SELF-ADMITTED personality and mood disorders. I asked them if they ever represented healthy people like me. He was not amused, strangely.

This incredibly physically and mentally unfit woman is a living and breathing "cartoon caricature" (akin to a "homunculus" of an evil divorce attorney in that she knowingly takes advantage of her mentally and emotionally unfit clients, tries to separate the children from their loving fathers, and tells lie after lie in court while seemingly drunk at the same time.

As I have noted several times in court declarations, "Severe Borderlines" are very easy to manipulate and control by evil, vile, and pathetic divorce attorneys like hers while they try to control me at the same time. Since I am very passionate and tenacious, I keep fighting back as assertively as possible while focusing my negative emotions on her horrific attorney.

I just sit back and read William Eddy's excellent book entitled "Splitting: Protecting Yourself While Divorcing A Borderline or Narcissist" to better anticipate their next legal moves under Mr. Eddy's "Severe Borderline" category (plus their association with an extremely dishonest "Negative Advocate" attorney who I hope to one day get disbarred).

The death of the once whole and healthy "Family Unit" is potentially the most tragic "suicide" of all thanks to this horrific illness called BPD. In addition, "High Functioning Borderlines" may not cut their wrists as much, but they do "cut" their loved ones out of their lives which is more tragic from my perspective.
Randi Kreger
DSA Recipient

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 10:57:42 AM »

My friend Kiera Van Gelder, who is featured in this video, has a book out, the Buddha nd the Borderline. It's a tale of her recovery from BPD that is very entertaining. www.amazon.com/Buddha-Borderline-Recovery-Personality-Dialectical/dp/157224710Xwww.middle-path.org/It's coming out soon; about August 1 or so 2010. You can preorder Randi KregerRandi @Author, "The Essential Family Guide to Borderline Personality Disorder: New Tools and Techniques to Stop Walking on Eggshells"Available at www.

I had a borderline mother and narcissistic father.
Cocoon

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 10:03:52 AM »

I've been watching this today, and it's been helpful. Dr. Marsha Linehan speaks in this, along with 3 people with BPD, describing their experience and recovery. It's such a relief to hear people talking about this.  

"Back From the Edge" - Borderline Personality Disorder

NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital

"Back From the Edge" offers guidance on treating Borderline Personality Disorder. The video was created by the Borderline Personality Disorder Resource Center at NewYork-Presbyterian.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=967Ckat7f98

hope2727

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 11:29:31 AM »

Great video. Filled with hope. Now how on earth do I get the (ex) fiancee who won't speak to me to watch it. 

SeaCliff

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »

Yes, "Back From The Edge" is, by far, my favorite film of them all on BPD traits. I've watched it several times over the past few years. I've also sent it to many friends and family. I wish that there were more quality BPD films like this one out there today.
Zen606

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2017, 04:38:25 PM »

Excellent, would like my bp trait ex to see this.
Zen606
Copycat2018

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 08:29:59 PM »

I agree that the video is very nicely done, the structuring and rhythm is good and inspirational. It uses the time well to pit out the information in a way that is easily absorbed.
I also agree that it is important to have a good representation of the symptoms rather then just some of them such as " cutters" as if that was the case in all instances.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy
Treatment of BPD
Full Clinical Definition
Top 50 Questions