Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 17, 2024, 10:41:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: He can't stand silence...  (Read 379 times)
Idesellenrof

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: November 28, 2016, 09:24:27 PM »

Hey all,

I've just found this site and I've spent the day feeling as though I've been reading my own history for the past year... .The behavior of my boyfriend so closely mimics what I've read from all of you, I'm astonished and I feel so much less alone... .

My BP boyfriend "spins out" regularly.  Normally, it seems to come out of nowhere... .At least that's how it feels to me.  He claims that I trigger him by overwhelming him with questions... .Talking too much about subjects that upset him... .Etc.  it's a whirlwind of anger and accusation, leaving me feeling incredibly bewildered and frightened... .I tend to fall silent because I want to measure my words carefully... .And I'm trying to adapt to this sudden change in his demeanor... .I'm trying to figure out the best thing to say, how best to manage this, latest outburst... .

Problem is, my silence seems to enrage him even more... .He claims that I leave him in silence, TORMENT him with silence when I know he can't stand long silences... .

Does anyone else's BP manifest in this way?  Rage at silence? They say you're doing it just to piss them off?
Lucky Jim

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 10:05:14 AM »

Excerpt
My BP boyfriend "spins out" regularly.  Normally, it seems to come out of nowhere... .At least that's how it feels to me.  He claims that I trigger him

Hey idesell, Welcome!  Sure, the dynamic you describe is quite typical for a BPD r/s.  A BPD storm cloud can arise out of a clear blue sky, as you note.  Because he is seeking a reaction from you, I can see how your silence might trigger a rage.  Does he goad and taunt you when you remain silent?  It so, that could be his way of manipulating you in order to cause you to engage with him.  You might want to check out the Tools (above) for possible strategies to lessen the conflict.  No, you are not alone in the BPD "soup"!

LuckyJim

A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
jrharvey

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 11:18:16 AM »

Are you giving silent treatment? Does he try to talk and you ignore him?

It does sound like you have already started walking on eggshells and you probably have already realized that there seems to be no win. A common reaction when this happens is to completely shut down because every action causes a huge rage so we naturally think we should stop doing anything. This alone can also ironically cause a rage.
eastbayrn

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 03:00:31 PM »

I often feel the same way. Since discovering BPD and starting to attend Al-Anon, I have been trying to emotionally detach myself from my uBPD boyfriend. I have realized that in the past, I would constantly tell him nearly every thought going through my head. He would then in turn use my words/thoughts against me. I try to now create a healthy individuality; which comes off to him as a threat of changing the dynamic or abandonment. It is a fine line to walk. I have also noticed he doesn't like silence of any kind. He must be constantly stimulated with videos, music, or interaction of some sort. I cherish my alone time and silence more than ever!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest