Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 17, 2024, 07:42:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Family Court Strategies: When Your Partner Has BPD OR NPD Traits. Practicing lawyer, Senior Family Mediator, and former Licensed Clinical Social Worker with twelve years’ experience and an expert on navigating the Family Court process.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: View from a borderline. It's scary...  (Read 992 times)
MapleBob

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2016, 10:30:20 AM »

The way I hold my partner accountable is by terminating the relationship.

You're talking about relationships with pwBPD specifically, right? Because that seems like a pretty destructive and unforgiving policy otherwise!

(Keep in mind: I do agree that pwBPD - and, honestly, A LOT of nons too - are not capable of true accountability.)

Yes, I'm talking specifically about my BPD partner.  But as I said, in my opinion, if "accountability" looks like anything more than a healthy conversation about why something bothers me, and that conversation doesn't lead to change, apologies, forgiveness, and better understanding, I begin to think that my partner is in the situation for something other than a real relationship.

Okay, now that sounds reasonable. Yeah, I'm thinking that circular arguments and blame-shifting are pretty intolerable to me now. And I got into a lot of them with my ex post-breakup, which was ridiculous and I know better now. Gotta hold those boundaries!
C.Stein

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2016, 10:50:43 AM »

Yes, I'm talking specifically about my BPD partner.  But as I said, in my opinion, if "accountability" looks like anything more than a healthy conversation about why something bothers me, and that conversation doesn't lead to change, apologies, forgiveness, and better understanding, I begin to think that my partner is in the situation for something other than a real relationship.

I'm curious here.  What reason would this be?  Certain some people lack the necessary skills to tick off all these requirements.  Many of these skills come with experience and has nothing to do with being disordered or not.  How do you ferret out lack of experience from disorder?
GreenEyedMonster

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2016, 04:27:43 PM »

I'm curious here.  What reason would this be?  Certain some people lack the necessary skills to tick off all these requirements.  Many of these skills come with experience and has nothing to do with being disordered or not.  How do you ferret out lack of experience from disorder?

I thought my ex was just lacking in experience when I first met him.  First off, it's not my personal obligation to put up with any particular behavior just because of someone's lack of experience.  In that sense, "ferreting out" lack of experience is not really relevant.  It's my personal choice whether I want to deal with that.  But I think the main difference is how important my feelings are to my partner.  If my partner always puts his ego before me and before the relationship, then lack of experience is not the primary problem there.  A good partner will care about how he makes me feel, period.  If he doesn't, why should I continue the relationship?

And as for "something other than a real relationship," I mean a female placeholder, arm candy, ego fluff.  A fair-weather friend who wants the good parts of having a girlfriend but who isn't interested in the real work of discussion, compromise, and sacrifice.  If I'm willing to do those things for my partner, it's only fair that they do them in return.
C.Stein

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2016, 07:51:30 AM »

I thought my ex was just lacking in experience when I first met him.  First off, it's not my personal obligation to put up with any particular behavior just because of someone's lack of experience.  In that sense, "ferreting out" lack of experience is not really relevant.  It's my personal choice whether I want to deal with that.  But I think the main difference is how important my feelings are to my partner.  If my partner always puts his ego before me and before the relationship, then lack of experience is not the primary problem there.  A good partner will care about how he makes me feel, period.  If he doesn't, why should I continue the relationship?

And as for "something other than a real relationship," I mean a female placeholder, arm candy, ego fluff.  A fair-weather friend who wants the good parts of having a girlfriend but who isn't interested in the real work of discussion, compromise, and sacrifice.  If I'm willing to do those things for my partner, it's only fair that they do them in return.

That all sounds like reasonable expectations from a partner.   Smiling (click to insert in post)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest