Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 08:06:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What traditions have you started?  (Read 398 times)
Sitara

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: December 20, 2013, 12:45:30 PM »

This is the first year since we moved and cut down on contact from family, so it will be the first year we've planned on having a small, just us, holiday.  Since I'm not really left with any healthy or happy traditions, I'm wondering what traditions you've started that you really enjoy doing.
Botswana Agate

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 04:08:11 PM »

This Christmas is a new one for us.  We're staying home, much to the disappointment of my enDad.  Going over to their house for Christmas would be giving my uBPD mom exactly what she wants, even at the expense of enDad and using him as bait.  (Relevant b/g is referenced in my introductory post.)  As a result, dad is suffering greatly.  But I also extended the invitation that he is welcome at our house (uBPD mom isn't); whether he takes us up on that offer remains to be seen.  And I have to realize that his suffering, really, is a result of his choices to put up with her games and manipulations for all these years.  There's nothing I can do about it.  So this will be brand-new for us.

Gads, can I ramble.
Deb

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling
Relationship status: NC

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 05:38:37 PM »

When my stepdaughter was small, we started a tradition of going to the mountains and cutting our own tree. The permit was pretty cheap, maybe $%, and we could drive all around until we found "the one." Then, we would go to a picnic area, all bundled up, and have sandwiches and hot chocolate. She still remembers the fun we had, and it was something new that she had never done.

Sibling of a BP who finally found the courage to walk away from her insanity.  "There is a season for chocolate. It should be eaten in any month with an a, u or e."
Contradancer

Relationship status: Seperated 17 months

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 06:38:20 PM »

Spending lots more time with friends, as well as diplomatically disappearing except to do food prep and clean-up.
larmieq

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 06:55:44 AM »

Creating fun and happy memories with my kids, anything that accomplishes this goal.

Cooking, playing with gifts.

Living backwards creating what I missed as a kid.
bright_future_mama

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 08:41:14 PM »

I put my foot down this year as well and refused to play the game.  I just couldn't do it this year.  I need a year without drama and I need good holiday memories.  I never had them growing up.  Holidays seemed to make BPD worse.  Something as simple as a neighbor stopping by with a cake could turn into mass hysteria.

I make goodies with the kids and we take them to the neighbors.  My husband and I decided we were staying home Christmas Day and cooking a nice meal and hanging out by the fire.  Just us and our kids.  A few had a hard time with that.  We also try to do a little something for those less fortunate.  I really have to focus on gratitude because I can get negative and cynical really quick.  I also put a basket of Christmas books that we try to read throughout the month.  Simple little things... .Tonight we drove around and looked at Christmas lights with Christmas music on the radio. 

Good luck!   
Sitara

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 10:19:07 PM »

Thanks for all the replies!  I just need to focus on just having a nice time together and enjoy my kids.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest